PDA

View Full Version : Where do I sell hunting shotguns/rifles?

anotherone
12-17-2006, 3:21 PM
I'm starting to notice that on this board the sales are mostly dedicated to military, police, and target guns/items. Is there a California hunting board where I can sell my hunting guns/gear?

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 3:41 PM
Did you try it here?

The mil-style stuff just seems more popular in CA...

anotherone
12-17-2006, 4:34 PM
Did you try it here?

The mil-style stuff just seems more popular in CA...

Yeah I was wondering why Californians are so interested in stockpiling military and law enforcement weaponry. Maybe it has to do something with living in huge cities with no easy or quick access to hunting areas.

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 5:10 PM
I think that's part of it, and I think the rest is that antis are trying to take it away. Sure makes me want it that much more.

Plus the whole "you can't have this" thing made me ask "why." When I found out the "why" of why we should be allowed to have it and why they don't want us to, it makes me want that stuff even more.

anotherone
12-17-2006, 7:17 PM
I think that's part of it, and I think the rest is that antis are trying to take it away. Sure makes me want it that much more.

Plus the whole "you can't have this" thing made me ask "why." When I found out the "why" of why we should be allowed to have it and why they don't want us to, it makes me want that stuff even more.

Bah, I had a couple "Assault Weapons" before the ban that I sold rather than registering because they were little more than gunsafe novelties. The DOJ and OLL episode tricked me into building a California Legal AR-15 and I've since concluded that although the fed ban may have lapsed and there have been new developments, AR-15s are still of minimal use and are a novelty. True, with 6.8mm and .50 beowulf uppers AR-15s now have the potential to kill deer and pigs, but at the $1000+ price tag you could have an extremely awesome hunting rifle devoted to taking game.

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 8:14 PM
The "why" had nothing to do with hunting, man. :p

Santa Cruz Armory
12-17-2006, 8:21 PM
What type of "hunting" stuff? I'm always looking for something new! :D

tankerman
12-18-2006, 5:10 AM
Post what you want to sell in the for sale forum, I think you'd be surprised. I think that the reason that so much military/LE type stuff is for sale is that once someone buys it they figure out they really don't want it, hunting weapons I believe are more likely kept, permanently.

metalhead357
12-18-2006, 9:48 AM
Post what you want to sell in the for sale forum, I think you'd be surprised. I think that the reason that so much military/LE type stuff is for sale is that once someone buys it they figure out they really don't want it, hunting weapons I believe are more likely kept, permanently.

I agree.

Post here and over at our board too;) GUNScal:)

Rumpled
12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I think one reason you see the type of firearms listed here is that you can get typical hunting firearms at any gunshop, including even Big 5.
For anything remotely black or "AW"-like; there are very few gunshops that will even do the transfer of one in the state, let alone sell one from out of state. So, those tend to trade hands between people in the know, like here.
I think you'll find a decent market for most things here.

sargenv
12-18-2006, 11:32 AM
AR-15s are still of minimal use and are a novelty

Actually, if you shoot any kind of competition where speed counts, AR's are the chevy's of firearms. You can get all kinds of parts for them, they can be made very accurate and very reliable. USPSA 3-gun is a haven for AR's and occasional customised and accurized Mini-14's. It's the one gun I wish that I'd picked up before the ban so I didn't have to customise a lesser gun (Mini-14). I do ok with my Mini, but I wish I had an AR that I could swap out uppers with for the different classes.

Vince

anotherone
12-18-2006, 2:35 PM
I think you guys are completely onto something with that statement about people tending to hang on to their hunting guns. When someone gets a gun they like for hunting, they tend to never let it go. I still use a 1968 Sears & Roebuck bolt action rifle to take big game. It even has the original scope that came with it for $15 :D!

sargenv
12-18-2006, 2:54 PM
You can try selling them here. Um, Gunbroker.com and maybe Gunsamerica.com if you don't want an auction site.

I may soon try and sell a few that I have, but I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.

I also think that most people tend to keep the gun they like to hunt with. My dad being an exception, he seems to want to buya new shotgun every season or two becuase someone tells him "xxx is good, you oughta get one!". Me, I stick with my 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster for early season ducks and my Gold hunter for later season ducks and geese.

Vince

Fjold
12-18-2006, 3:46 PM
I wouldn't say that they're novelties, one of my semi automatic fixed magazine rifles killed about 1,000 ground squirrels last season and in about a month it will start doing it again. My grown up daughters love shooting these rifles because of the soft recoil and excellent accuracy.

This one has hit squirrels at 300 + yards
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00209.jpg