PDA

View Full Version : i need some knowledge about winchester heavy target load shells.

Joe@CrosshairsUSA
06-10-2011, 3:38 PM
A customer came in today and returned a box of winchester heavy target load ammunition 12 gauge 2 3/4 inches 3DR. EQ. 1 1/8oz. 7 1/2 shot. When he returned the shells he told me that this ammo was not for home defense but for sport shooting like skeet shooting. currently this is the only buckshot we have at the store. Or am i mistaken and is this not even buckshot? can someone school me on shotgun ammo. Thanks

NRAhighpowershooter
06-10-2011, 4:07 PM
correct.. not even close to buckshot.. it is mainly used for trap and skeet shooting.....

edwardm
06-10-2011, 4:14 PM
A customer came in today and returned a box of winchester heavy target load ammunition 12 gauge 2 3/4 inches 3DR. EQ. 1 1/8oz. 7 1/2 shot. When he returned the shells he told me that this ammo was not for home defense but for sport shooting like skeet shooting. currently this is the only buckshot we have at the store. Or am i mistaken and is this not even buckshot? can someone school me on shotgun ammo. Thanks

American shotgun ammo starts at #11 shot (0.062") and goes all the way up to 000 Buckshot (0.36"). There are many sizes of shot between the two extremes, each suited for its own particular uses.

He was right that #7 1/2 shot is not buckshot - it's birdshot (or generally considered such: #7 1/2, 0.095" dia.) Buckshot starts at #4 Buck and goes up to 000 buck (0.24" to 0.36"). Generally I see people use 7 1/2 shot like that for quail, squirrels and rabbits or other small critters (I find it generally works rather well on valley quail and cottontails, and it's my go-to load for that sort of hunting.) Some prefer it for skeet and sporting clays as well.

As to whether or not it's suited to home defense, that's a debate that will rage on long after I'm dead, I reckon.

prc77
06-10-2011, 4:15 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://firearmsid.com/jpgs/A_dist1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://firearmsid.com/A_distshotpatt.htm&h=294&w=317&sz=14&tbnid=I6BY1lMQQiVrQM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=118&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dshotgun%2Bsize%2Bdiagram%26tbm%3Disch %26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=shotgun+size+diagram&usg=__A6Pl1OFYPQ9BmBEBeqnYE_RBpHs=&sa=X&ei=kbPyTbrsFZKssAOx-_SuCw&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAA

Marlin Hunter
06-10-2011, 8:24 PM

You work in a gun store and don't know the difference between buck and bird shot?

Currently you don't have any buckshot at the store.

In general, bird shot comes in 25 round boxes, and buckshot and slugs come in either 5 or 10 round boxes.

POWG
06-10-2011, 8:25 PM
POWG responds the same ...but differently.

Sounds as if your store now "stocks" only the Winchester Brand and then only in the 12 Ga., Heavy Target Load, 3 Dram Eq., 1&1/8 ounce load of #7.5 Shot.

Be advised there are a wide variety of "Brands" [manufacturers] and I do mean wide; various common "Gauges" [gun/shell "size"] i.e., 10 Ga., 12 Ga., 16 Ga., 20 Ga., 28 Ga. & .410 [which is not a true gauge - rather a calibre] and in a wider yet range of loads & shot sizes within all of the Gauges. There are also quite a few other Gauges, not really worth mentioning here - don't want to confuse things.

Note ...the "smaller" the Gauge #designation - the larger the gun/shell size. The "larger" the Gauge #designation the smaller the gun/shell size.

It that ain't quite confusing enough ... the "smaller" the shot size #designation - the larger the shot pellet and the fewer in a given load; & the "larger" the shot size #designation the smaller the pellet the more in a given load.

The exception of course being Buckshot ...in which case #4 is the smallest and "000" being the largest! Got it?

Everything else has been well covered and I do hope this helps.

POWG is out.

Joe@CrosshairsUSA
06-12-2011, 2:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your help really good knowledge. And yea i am working at a new gun shop in Torrance that opened about 2months ago. I admit i don't know everything but i am grateful for cal guns and the people here to help me out. I am learning something new everyday. Thanks yall

fabguy
06-12-2011, 6:32 PM
lol, I would think almost anything coming out of a 12 g. barrel would be considered home defense? right?