View Full Version : Attn: All Saiga 12 Owners...Is this a good deal?

06-10-2011, 3:34 PM
I wanted to know if you guys thought this was a good deal? It sounds good to me but I hate that I would have to ship it to FL from Cali and wait. Anyone know of someone in SoCal that can do this? Anyways I'd like to hear what you have to say and if any of you can vouch for JT Engineering's work. I did call them and spoke with Jack and he seems like a nice guy and knows what he's talking about.

JT Engineering $200 Conversion Summer Special with the purchase of any conversion kit from us.
Basic Conversion includes
1. Move FCG Group forward, plug axis holes, touch up finish as needed.
2. Install all component parts of CSS Conversion Package.
3. Check gas block and ports for alignment and/or correct as needed.
4. Modify Bolt for Rock N Lock on a closed bolt.
5. Profile hammer and carrier for reduced pre-load on main spring during cycling
6. Throat/polish feed ramp
7. Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)
$200.00 for the conversion and $25.00 for return shipping.

06-10-2011, 3:39 PM
See if you can talk them into a complete re finish...then go for it.

06-10-2011, 3:49 PM
Even w/o the complete refinish, that's a pretty darn good deal if you just don't have the time/desire/skills to do it yourself.

You could buy the Kushnapup for the $200 pre-sale price (http://www.kushnapup.com/), if bullpup is your thing (it's my thing, so I pre-paid for one.) They are supposed to be shipping in July according to their last email.

06-10-2011, 6:17 PM
no its not a good deal

06-10-2011, 7:15 PM
No it isn't.

Look here:

06-10-2011, 9:28 PM
Okay, well I guess it's not a good deal. I have more money than time, so YMMV. Looks like it depends on your exact location and maybe saving $50 or so... Yay. :rolleyes:

06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Vintage, that post that you linked to is a GREAT price for a basic conversion but Mikereyes you could easily do a basic conversion yourself with minimal tools and an hour or two of your time. On the other hand, the JT engineering conversion your talking about is a whole other type of conversion: working over the gas system if needed, profiling the hammer and modifying the bolt so that you can load a mag without having to pull the bolt back are big pluses. So it's really up to what you are looking to do. If you just want a pistol grip conversion DEFINITELY go with the link Vintagedude posted. If you looking to get the "works" done then the JT engineering isn't a horrible price. I wouldn't try to profile the hammer or bolt yourself without doing some research. Definitely check out Saiga12.com and check out the forums for lots of good info. Good luck and enjoy!!

06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I could do the basic conversion myself. I'm an IT guy and no gunsmith. Haha. I just don't want to mess up my shotgun because I over polished something etc. I'll check out the guy in Irwindale since he's right around the corner from me. The JT special is good for summer so I have time to decide.

06-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Modding the bolt and carrier to "rock and lock" on a closed bolt takes a ton of experience and know how to get it right. Saiga 12 bolts aren't something you can walk into a shop and just pick up if it goes bad.
IIRC the CSS conversion package has a profiled hammer included. What do they plug the holes with?
I dunno, I'd have to see one to really get a good idea on the quality.

06-11-2011, 1:59 PM

Do you guys do this kind of work? PM me for cost.

Or maybe I'll opt for Last Round Bolt Hold Open instead...