PDA

View Full Version : NRA / CRPAF Legal Action Wins Court Order

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 2:17 PM
More here (http://calgunlaws.com/)

Thank you, Chuck Michel and team.

NRA / CRPAF Legal Action Wins Court Order Forcing LAPD to Make CCW Policies Available at Stations and on LAPD Website

On Thursday, June 9, 2011, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Terry Green granted a motion in the NRA and CRPA Foundation financed case against the City of Los Angeles regarding the LAPD’s concealed weapons permit (CCW) processing and issuance policies. The motion was brought to force LAPD to comply with a 16-year-old Consent Judgment from the 1995 Assenza v. City of Los Angeles case. For years, LAPD has repeatedly sought to avoid its obligations under the judgment and to keep people in the dark about what it takes to get a CCW in the City of L.A.

The City unsuccessfully opposed the motion.

Under Penal Code § 12050, the LAPD has an obligation to process applications for CCWs, and to issue CCWs if the applicant has “good cause.” For many years, the City and the LAPD had a policy of not making CCW applications available, never finding good cause to exist, and effectively prohibiting the issuance of any CCWs. The City’s unlawful refusal to properly process CCW applications and issue CCWs was challenged in two lawsuits in 1992 and 1994. To settle the suits the LAPD agreed to be bound by a Judgment requiring that all citizens who request a CCW permit application could get one at any LAPD station house, that the application would be accompanied by a written copy of the LAPD’s procedure for handling the application, including the factors used to determine whether an applicant has ”good cause” for the CCW, and that applicants would be informed of the procedures for appealing the denial of a CCW application. The settlementalso established a Citizens Advisory Review Panel, made up of appointed citizens who would review CCW applications denied by the LAPD and make recommendations regarding whether the LAPD should reverse its denial of the CCW application.

The LAPD has repeatedly failed to honor its legal obligations under the Judgment. The LAPD stopped making CCW applications and a written copy of the CCW policy and appeal process available at all station houses. And the LAPD is ignoring the recommendations of the Citizens Advisory Review Panel and has instead enacted a de facto policy of again issuing no CCWs, despite whatever showing of good cause the applicants might make.

Gray Peterson
06-10-2011, 2:19 PM
Where's that steamroller....

curtisfong
06-10-2011, 2:25 PM
Sweeeeet.

Let us know when LA city residents should start applying. I'm ready. I've got time. I've got money. Just tell me when to start.

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 2:30 PM
Sweeeeet.

Let us know when LA city residents should start applying. I'm ready. I've got time. I've got money. Just tell me when to start.

I suggest that you, and anyone else in a similar position and without "color", should contact Chuck and express an interest. He's advertised for such people before. It might be too late to get on the Davis.v LAPD case that's already been filed at this time, but maybe they'll revise the plaintiff list at some point.

At the very least, wait until September 7th (the deadline the court has set for compliance), make a request at your local station house and report the results to Chuck.

Nor-Cal
06-10-2011, 3:28 PM
very good news!

safewaysecurity
06-10-2011, 3:42 PM
Was wondering why a thread had not been made about this.

HowardW56
06-10-2011, 4:14 PM
http://calgunlaws.com/

Lost.monkey
06-10-2011, 4:59 PM
:party::party::party:

louderthangod
06-10-2011, 5:10 PM
Very nice...now if good cause can be flipped around so that the burden of proof is on the sheriff to show good cause as to why a citizen should not be issued a CCW then we'll really be somewhere.

Lost.monkey
06-10-2011, 5:11 PM
Sweeeeet.

Ditto!!

AJAX22
06-10-2011, 5:15 PM
Somewhere, right now, a stunned LAPD chief is sitting dazed at a desk wondering at the phallus shaped indention on his forehead where the smackdown was lain.

Librarian
06-10-2011, 5:25 PM
Very nice...now if good cause can be flipped around so that the burden of proof is on the sheriff to show good cause as to why a citizen should not be issued a CCW then we'll really be somewhere.

Somewhere around 1994 that was proposed and failed.

Purple K
06-10-2011, 5:35 PM
In 1994 we didn't have Heller or McDonald

Kestryll
06-10-2011, 5:45 PM
Hmmm.... Seems like I might have to go over to West Valley Division when I get back from my niece's and nephew's graduation ceremonies.....

curtisfong
06-10-2011, 5:48 PM
What would be more appropriate? A long, complicated good cause statement, or simply "self defense".

I can do either, of course.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-10-2011, 6:15 PM
Nice win. Not only did they get the Order to provide the appplications and instructions, but that they have to comply with the original mandate to have appeals reviewed by the panel and make adjustments for more CCW's. Great. They're stuck, but stupid LAPD will still not fully comply and get their butts dragged back into court, stall, stall, stall...

Funtimes
06-10-2011, 6:16 PM
What would be more appropriate? A long, complicated good cause statement, or simply "self defense".

I can do either, of course.

Probably a good cause that mirrored those which were approved in the original cases. Now it's time for the Calguns Sunshine steamroller to get those GC's from back in the day, so new CCW apps can utilize them (if the GC applies to the applicant).

Peter W Bush
06-10-2011, 6:48 PM
I suggest that you, and anyone else in a similar position and without "color", should contact Chuck and express an interest. He's advertised for such people before. It might be too late to get on the Davis.v LAPD case that's already been filed at this time, but maybe they'll revise the plaintiff list at some point.

At the very least, wait until September 7th (the deadline the court has set for compliance), make a request at your local station house and report the results to Chuck.

What is the best way of contacting him regarding this? I live and own a business in LA but I am young and there is another caveat I'm concerned about.

hill billy
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Probably a good cause that mirrored those which were approved in the original cases. Now it's time for the Calguns Sunshine steamroller to get those GC's from back in the day, so new CCW apps can utilize them (if the GC applies to the applicant).

That was part of the motion. As I understand it, they have until 9/7 to produce them.

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
What is the best way of contacting him regarding this? I live and own a business in LA but I am young and there is another caveat I'm concerned about.

There's a link earlier. Here (http://calgunlaws.com/)is is again. I'm sure there are contact details there somewhere.

johndoe2150
06-11-2011, 1:15 AM
Im assuming this dosnt do much for people in LA county, but not in the city.

But awsome either way.

curtisfong
06-11-2011, 1:41 AM
I suggest that you, and anyone else in a similar position and without "color", should contact Chuck and express an interest.

Thanks. I have emailed both Chuck and BJ.

Paladin
06-11-2011, 11:58 AM
From the linked article:

In granting the motion and ruling against the city, the Court ordered the City to provide contact information for CCW applicants to the plaintiffs’ lawyers, to get sworn declarations signed under penalty of perjury from every Commanding Officer at each of the LAPD’s 21 station houses and precincts confirming their compliance with the terms of the Assenza judgment and indicating what affirmative steps were taken to ensure compliance, and to prominently post a CCW link on the LAPD website so the public can easily access both the CCW application and the LAPD CCW policy. LAPD must comply with this Order by Wednesday, September 7, 2011.

I esp like the sentence I bolded above because it will help get the word out in LA that CCWs are available.

The sentence I've underlined above gives me another date to add to my calendar. :D

Fantastic work guys! Thanks to all involved, even if that includes a certain . . . :red_indian: ;)

hill billy
06-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Fantastic work guys! Thanks to all involved, even if that includes a certain . . . :red_indian: ;)

To the best of my slightly inside knowledge, it does not.

Seeker
06-11-2011, 9:59 PM
Hooray!:clap::mnl::party:

sfbadger
06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
While this is certainly good news, I'll hold off on celebrating until I see some compliance by LAPD. They've wormed out of their obligations before.

The Cable Guy
06-12-2011, 3:38 AM
Im assuming this dosnt do much for people in LA county, but not in the city.

But awsome either way.

Actually, its just the opposite. LAPD is LA City police.

LA Sheriffs department is the issuing agency for the county.

dmeiners
06-12-2011, 4:46 AM
Actually, its just the opposite. LAPD is LA City police.

LA Sheriffs department is the issuing agency for the county.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying, not opposite at all, and he is correct.