PDA

View Full Version : Huge microstamping hurl from NY

vantec08
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/06/10/2011-06-10_microstamping_saves_lives_senate_must_resist_gu n_lobby_and_pass_crimefighting_bi.html

not even close to factually true

G1500
06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Keep dreaming.

cdtx2001
06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
How can anyone say microstamping saves lives when no one uses it yet???? Darn liberal spin BS.

Ubermcoupe
06-10-2011, 10:51 AM
ew... Have to get used to this crap when I move to the city for the next two years... :(

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Just look at the name of the first author, Michael Bloomberg. Is that who I think it is? If so, no wonder it is a biased article.

Yep, it's him, it says so at the bottom of the article. In very small print.

bwiese
06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I hope to gawd the NYSRA has someone that can even remotely function as well as our Ed Worley.

Bigtime1
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
ew... Have to get used to this crap when I move to the city for the next two years... :(

You have my deepest sympathies. Not even the pizza is worth suffering under Nanny Bloomberg.

Falconis
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Well not even the it hasn't been used thing yet. How can microstamping save lives when (i'm guessing) it is used after a crime has occurred?

PaperPuncher
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm confused about this whole saving lives issue. I thought the casing was marked after the round was fired. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this concept.

The other confusing part is how does something that does not even exist get credit for saving a life?

scarville
06-10-2011, 1:07 PM
I guess Bloomberg owns stock in Hitachi Via Mechanics.

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 1:11 PM
I'm confused about this whole saving lives issue. I thought the casing was marked after the round was fired. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this concept.

The other confusing part is how does something that does not even exist get credit for saving a life?

Well, of course it's going to save lives.

All these gangbangers are going to think "Whoops, if I shoot the 7-11 clerk, it is illegal and I'm going to get caught. I don't really need that crack. I'd better go to church and say some 'Hail Mary's' instead." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

G60
06-10-2011, 1:19 PM
"Do your state legislators - state senators in particular - fully support giving our police officers the tools they need to keep us safe? To find out, call their offices and ask one question: "

While you're at it, ask them another: do you fully support giving law-abiding citizens the tools they need to keep themselves and their loved ones safe?

vantec08
06-10-2011, 2:12 PM

We are witnessing a failed ideology fight to stay alive. Only question is: is there time enough left to resurrect what works?

Quser.619
06-10-2011, 2:17 PM
Cool, maybe this will increase the value of my revolvers! Good thing there aren't any guns around from before micro-stamping existed. :rolleyes:

Wherryj
06-10-2011, 2:33 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/06/10/2011-06-10_microstamping_saves_lives_senate_must_resist_gu n_lobby_and_pass_crimefighting_bi.html

not even close to factually true

Do they mean OTHER than the huge hurdle that microstamping must overcome with respect to the technology ACTUALLY being AVAILABLE as a technology that WORKS?

Glock22Fan
06-10-2011, 2:59 PM
Do they mean OTHER than the huge hurdle that microstamping must overcome with respect to the technology ACTUALLY being AVAILABLE as a technology that WORKS?

Forget microstamping, judging from the amount of electronics now built into my iphone 4 (not much bigger than some firearms' grips) it isn't hard to imagine a firearm that phones the police, gives its serial number and GPS location, and an announcement "My trigger is being squeezed and I'm about to shoot."

Going a bit further, it could fingerprint and photograph the shooter and photo the target as well and transmit that data. Only problem would be battery life (battery in the other grip of course). Oh yes, and it wouldn't fire if the battery was dead or it couldn't send the data.

OMG, now I've given Bloomberg another idea!

ElvenSoul
06-10-2011, 3:12 PM
Think of the children! Sorry I'm thinking of the loser adults they will grow up to be in a state that will soon have laws regulating how many times you must blink your eyes in minute.

ShooterDK
06-10-2011, 3:52 PM
Forget microstamping, judging from the amount of electronics now built into my iphone 4 (not much bigger than some firearms' grips) it isn't hard to imagine a firearm that phones the police, gives its serial number and GPS location, and an announcement "My trigger is being squeezed and I'm about to shoot."

Going a bit further, it could fingerprint and photograph the shooter and photo the target as well and transmit that data. Only problem would be battery life (battery in the other grip of course). Oh yes, and it wouldn't fire if the battery was dead or it couldn't send the data.

OMG, now I've given Bloomberg another idea!

Remington EtroniX anyone? Thought not.

IntoForever
06-10-2011, 4:07 PM
and even then, the requirement would be waived if microstamping costs more than $12 per firearm

Saving grace. The last gunsmith I spoke to has a minimum of $200 for any work he does. Curious how this would be enforced? How do you check and maintain the stamp?

Capt.Dunsel
06-10-2011, 4:18 PM
Guess I won't be scrounging up brass for reloading , or maybe just confuse em with a multitude of stamps on the brass.hmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Curtis
06-10-2011, 4:50 PM
"If police find one microstamped shell casing at a crime scene, they have a 54% chance of identifying the gun. Right now, using existing ballistics technology, they have a 2% chance."

I find this a very interesting figure and how it is used.

G1500
06-10-2011, 5:14 PM
Here is the bad side. Anyone with minimal brain function can go to a local range, scrounge up some "stamped" cases, and toss them out and collect his own after committing a crime.

So, now you have a case where a criminal can easily set up someone else with minimal effort.

Blackhawk556
06-10-2011, 5:58 PM
can't people just use really rough sandpaper and sand the firing pin or what ever part leaves the stamp and be done with it??

aklover_91
06-10-2011, 6:09 PM
We all know crime guns are never stolen or sold off the record, right? And no killer would ever hide or destroy a weapon he used to commit a crime. So when they run the numbers we can be glad it will point back to the responsible part 100% of the time.[/sarcasm]

Anchors
06-10-2011, 10:02 PM
How can anyone say microstamping saves lives when no one uses it yet???? Darn liberal spin BS.

EXACTLY the first thing that popped into my head. I stopped reading after the title because that killed it for me.

"Covering your front door with garlic keeps criminals from breaking in much in the same way it does with vampires.."

The statements are equally logical.

G1500
06-10-2011, 10:25 PM
EXACTLY the first thing that popped into my head. I stopped reading after the title because that killed it for me.

"Covering your front door with garlic keeps criminals from breaking in much in the same way it does with vampires.."

The statements are equally logical.

Covering yourself with Cheetah blood will help you run faster.

vantec08
06-11-2011, 6:52 AM
can't people just use really rough sandpaper and sand the firing pin or what ever part leaves the stamp and be done with it??

yes .. . . microstamping is easy to defeat, chamber or firing pin.

loather
06-11-2011, 8:10 AM

Sweet. Now all I have to do is catch some cheetahs.

loather
06-11-2011, 8:14 AM
yes .. . . microstamping is easy to defeat, chamber or firing pin.

I have a Dremel with a polishing wheel and I know how to use it. If ever I found myself in possession of such an encumbered firearm, I'd be eliminating that nonsense right quickly.

cdtx2001
06-11-2011, 8:37 AM
I have a Dremel with a polishing wheel and I know how to use it. If ever I found myself in possession of such an encumbered firearm, I'd be eliminating that nonsense right quickly.

And I'm sure there will be some stupid arsed law that will say that grinding off those numbers will be the same as grinding off the serial numbers on the frame.

But really, why bother? After about 300 rounds the stamps will be worn out and illegible. Just go to the range for a day and that will take care of it.

I prefer sweat from Chuck Norris, but first you gotta get him to shed some.

Mute
06-11-2011, 8:39 AM
In other news, the tooth fairy is real.....because Michael Bloomberg said so.

G1500
06-11-2011, 8:41 AM
I prefer sweat from Chuck Norris, but first you gotta get him to shed some.

Same thing, as Chuck Norris sweats Cheetah blood.

r3dn3ck
06-11-2011, 8:58 AM
If chuck norris were to sweat, every drop that hit the ground would cause a flash flood and an earthquake.

TKM
06-11-2011, 9:14 AM

Practically speaking, if you are covered in Cheetah blood you can already run fast enough.

Python2
06-11-2011, 9:17 AM
For the life of me, I really cannot fathom the stupidity of whoever thought of microstamping an area of an object that undergoes hundreds if not thousands of cyclic beating. Worse than being dumb if there is one I suppose.
...and how in the heck this Bloomberg idiot became a billionaire if he is convinced on the effectivity of such technology?

The War Wagon
06-11-2011, 9:27 AM
New Yawk - because we can't let the Left Coast have ALL the STOOPID! :rolleyes:

Anchors
06-11-2011, 6:24 PM

Haha

Practically speaking, if you are covered in Cheetah blood you can already run fast enough.

Hahahaha.

IntoForever
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
For the life of me, I really cannot fathom the stupidity of whoever thought of microstamping an area of an object that undergoes hundreds if not thousands of cyclic beating. Worse than being dumb if there is one I suppose.
...and how in the heck this Bloomberg idiot became a billionaire if he is convinced on the effectivity of such technology?

Just like al gore, just smart enough to convince sheople of a lie and make an insane profit from it?

Bigtime1
06-13-2011, 12:46 PM

He doesn't care if its effective, it doesn't have to be. Microstamping doesn't have to solve one single case to be "effective" in Nanny Bloomberg's quest.

In this case his ends justify his (lying) means.

chaseface
06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

:smilielol5:

l8apex
06-13-2011, 1:00 PM
One of the questions that someone needs to ask is, if microstamping ever attempts to become a reality, how is the company 'attempting to do' the job related to the proponents/enforcers of MS? I.e. Family, friend, business partner. Watch and follow the money, a lot of superfluous research & jobs have been created by such means.

ubet
06-13-2011, 1:09 PM
I think ny is the only worst place to live than Ca.

Bigtime1
06-13-2011, 1:12 PM
One of the questions that someone needs to ask is, if microstamping ever attempts to become a reality, how is the company 'attempting to do' the job related to the proponents/enforcers of MS? I.e. Family, friend, business partner. Watch and follow the money, a lot of superfluous research & jobs have been created by such means.

What you're referring to is simply SOP in NYS (and Chicago). Forgetaboutit.