PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine

vrejshah209
12-17-2006, 11:31 AM
WTB the Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine like this one

http://www.impactguns.com/store/602686313087.html

what do you guys think, get a new one or find an original, IF you want to sell your please PM me price, pics and condition.

for those of you who have one and don't wan to sell please give your opinion on it, thanks

patman
12-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Read some article in American Rifleman about how the writer loaned an original GI to AO to make up blueprints. The AO result sounded good as a "NEW" copy of the original. Get both (one of the various manf of your choice and the new AO one) and be happy.

It was kind of funny in a later issue in the letters to editor where someone pointed out that the rear sight was installed backwards in the picture from the article!

Fjold
12-17-2006, 12:41 PM
It's a nice little gun. The only thing wrong with it is that it's chambered in 30 carbine.

Whitesmoke
12-17-2006, 12:59 PM
It's a nice little gun. The only thing wrong with it is that it's chambered in 30 carbine.
could they be rechambered into anything else?

Fjold
12-17-2006, 1:07 PM
could they be rechambered into anything else?

It would be tough to do. The 30 carbine comes with a .360" rim diameter and the only other common cartridge that comes close is the 22 Hornet at .350". You could open up the bolt face with a lot of work to fit the 223, 222, etc case head diameter of .378" but the 30 case is so short that none of those cartridges would fit the magazines or bolt stroke.

slowjonn
12-17-2006, 1:28 PM
The only thing wrong with it is that it's chambered in 30 carbine.

Why do you say that? :confused:

As for the carbine, from what I've read, the AO is the best non-military carbine going as far as fit/ function/ etc. But at that price, you could be in the ballpark for a milsurp shooter. I just sold one of my shooters for $675.

Fjold
12-17-2006, 4:13 PM
Why do you say that? :confused:

Just my personal opinion, the round is neither fish nor fowl. It's not powerful enough for hunting anything but small game and it doesn't shoot flat enough to use at more than about 150 yards. The ammunition will never be as cheap as 5.56 surplus (or even commercial 223 ammo) and nowhere near as accurate.

The carbine itself is not known for it's accuracy. If you put a bunch of money into it, you might be able to get it to shoot almost as accurately as the cheapest out of the box AR platform rifle at 100 yards but it wouldn't come close to competing at 200 yards.

Bladewurk
12-17-2006, 4:23 PM
These are handy and cute little guns but..

My Dad had one he bought for $20. in the fifties and they were giving away surplus ammo for cheap which made a nice plinker.

Now that ammo is expensive I have no use for an M1 Carbine,:( sorry...
JMHO,your mileage may vary,blah blah.......

anotherone
12-17-2006, 4:43 PM
Just my personal opinion, the round is neither fish nor fowl. It's not powerful enough for hunting anything but small game and it doesn't shoot flat enough to use at more than about 150 yards. The ammunition will never be as cheap as 5.56 surplus (or even commercial 223 ammo) and nowhere near as accurate.

The only game the M-1 is really any good at taking is rabbits. However, a Marlin lever action or good shotgun easily outclasses the M-1 even at this task.

pogo
12-17-2006, 4:59 PM
i seem to recall there were some 10mm conversions in the '90s.