PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR vs SOPMOD

bonjing
12-17-2006, 8:09 AM
I am looking to purchase a new stock in the near future and have been have been wondering about the VLTOR and the LMT SOPMOD. For those of you that have tried either of them what did you like and dislike about them. right now i have the CTR stock and really like how well it fits with no wobble.

by the way how is VLTOR pronounced? is it "VOLTOR" or "OOLTOR"

Tzvia
12-17-2006, 9:15 AM
Vltor is pronounced 'ultor' or 'ooltor'.

I had this same quandary earlier this year. The Clubfoot model of the Vltor won out, partially because I like the design and second, it was quite a bit less $$ that I could not see spending on the Sopmod. Love the stock, no wobble, the cheekwelds are comfortable and it is easy to get the compartments open. (I keep the allen key for the maglock there, along with a spare 1/3n battery for my Aimpoint.) Now that I am considering changing the rifle to a no evil features removable mag, I am looking into how to best lock that stock in one position because I do not want to remove it.

I just built another OLL and used the Vltor A1 length rifle Clubfoot stock.- Just as comfortable with the removable cheekwelds, but fixed in one position. It works great with the monsterman grip.

xenophobe
12-17-2006, 9:21 AM
Yes, it's pronounced flat u... like the UL in Kabul...

The SOPMOD is a much nicer stock, IMO. The material seems like a glass resin of some sort, and appears more durable and is thicker than the Vltor.

The Vltor seems thin, and the plastic strikes me as being kind of cheap. I'm sure it's just fine, but there is no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't take the abuse that the SOPMOD stock would.

Hope that helps....

brando
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I've used both and the Crane SOPMOD stock is better in some regards. The Vltor stock is just as comfortable and is more modular, but come on, it's a plastic stock. There's not a whole lot of difference.

bonjing
12-23-2006, 8:27 PM
Okay after doing more reading this is what it comes down to (correct me if i'm wrong):

VLTOR: way cheaper than the sopmod, no rattle/not lose on the buffer tube, you can access the battery compartments without removing the stock.

down side, if you have facial hair, it tends to get stuck in the "serrations" of the stock

LMT SOPMOD: no rattle/not lose on the buffer tube, you have to remove the stock to access the batteries.

down side, $$$$

Thanks for the input guys

anotherone
12-24-2006, 1:16 AM
Why not just use the standard 4 pos or 6 pos stock, save hundreds of dollars, and spend the saved cash on optics, better sights, or other parts that will have an impact in the accuracy and performance of the rifle. Sure the Sopmod and Vltor look tacticool, but they don't really do anything a $50 generic collapsable stock with a $15 cheek pad won't do. Put your money to work where it makes the biggest difference whenever you're putting together a rifle whether it's for hunting or shooting targets. That's just my philosophy though.

tenpercentfirearms
12-24-2006, 6:27 AM
Why not just use the standard 4 pos or 6 pos stock, save hundreds of dollars, and spend the saved cash on optics, better sights, or other parts that will have an impact in the accuracy and performance of the rifle. Sure the SOPMOD and VLTOR look tacticool, but they don't really do anything a $50 generic collapsible stock with a $15 cheek pad won't do. Put your money to work where it makes the biggest difference whenever you're putting together a rifle whether it's for hunting or shooting targets. That's just my philosophy though.
What in the hell kind of idea is this? When the UN, aliens (illegal or extraterrestrial), or rioting mobs come down your street and you have to pick them off at 200 meters, you are going to want a great cheek weld for both right and left handed shots. You just aren't going to have that kind of killing power without the SOPMOD stock. I have a SOPMOD on my UN/alien/mob rifle and I like it a lot. I have plenty of the standard waffle stocks on my plink, learn how to shoot rifles. This save your money and buy other things advice is going to get some people killed! ;)

People with serious BRD need to get serious medication. The SOPMOD is one of the most expensive stocks out there because it is one of the best stocks out there. I could see how my bearded face might not like the VLTOR, but the VLTOR does have quite a nice price for a complete package and it is a little more versatile.

My recommendation is the SOPMOD.

PIRATE14
12-24-2006, 8:33 AM
Full grain cow hide or split???

If you got the dough....go with a SOPMOD.

If you are super small person go with the VLTOR...