PDA

View Full Version : What's the diff. between short and long action on Rem. 700?

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-17-2006, 7:40 AM
I've been interested in getting an Rem. 700, but I was looking through a midwayusa flier and they had a short and long action stock and I have no idea what the heck they're talking about.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I was always told, "No question is dumb, but not asking is retarded".

Thanks,

Mark

nothing4u
12-17-2006, 8:21 AM
Long action is for longer rounds like magnums. Short action is for shorter calibers like .308. Although you can fit shorter cartridges in a long action. You just need the right bolt face. I guess in theory you could also rebarrel a short action for a magnum but would have to single load into the chamber.

Fjold
12-17-2006, 8:49 AM
About 1/2".

The long action is made for the 30.06 length of cartridges (which includes the 7 mag, 300 mag sized cartridges) The maximum loaded length would be about 3.2-3.3" or so.

The short action would fit the 308 and smaller class of cartridges with laoded length less than about 2.90".

Remington will cut the ejection port and bolt stop to allow for longer cartridges like the 300 Rum and 375 H&H length cartridges (Max OAL about 3.7") and still use the long action.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Long action is for longer rounds like magnums. Short action is for shorter calibers like .308. Although you can fit shorter cartridges in a long action. You just need the right bolt face. I guess in theory you could also rebarrel a short action for a magnum but would have to single load into the chamber.

Thanks you very much....

Mark