PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 12 ProMag 10rd mag falls out....WTH?

CaliAR
06-09-2011, 3:07 PM
So I was excited to try my ProMag 10rd mag, that I paid $38 for, and after the first shot it falls out .....:confused:
Is anyone else experiencing this?

805dave
06-09-2011, 4:19 PM
hum never had that problem before but it seems like each saiga 12 have different tolerances. I would suggest to check your release spring you might half to replace it. Good luck!!

JagerTroop
06-10-2011, 6:45 AM
Sometimes Saiga 12 mags need to be fitted to the gun. Make sure the latch is engaging all the way. If not, you may need to file/sand a little bit off the bottom of the mag catch tab(not the mag release on the gun, but the part on the mag).

Also, Promags suck. For $38 you should've gotten an AGP or Surefire.

Spyder
06-10-2011, 9:34 AM
Don't file on the mag until you check this out!

I had a similar problem with my drum mag not seating. The mag release lever was just a tiny bit too long and was rubbing on the "bullet button" cage that was installed around it. This prevented the lever from fully engaging the magazine, which caused them to fall out after the first shot. All it took was 30 seconds with the file in my Leatherman and it was good as gold! Take the magazine out, make sure the gun is unloaded, and work the mag release button back and forth. Make sure it doesn't rub anywhere.

...I'd show pictures, but I won't be home for a few days.

CaliAR
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks...
Jager: AGP are the good stuff?
Spyder: I wont get a chance to check it out till next Monday when I return from vacation...if you can still post pics I would appreciate. Thanks

MasterYong
06-10-2011, 3:01 PM
That's not good... since Saiga's need a BB whether or not there are features, mags falling out w/o use of a tool seems like a BAD idea.....

I'd be real careful where you take that shotgun until you get it figured out...

Themandalorian
06-10-2011, 3:03 PM
Ive already learned my lesson to NEVER buy promag. Cry once and go with the good stuff

MasterYong
06-10-2011, 3:30 PM
Ive already learned my lesson to NEVER buy promag. Cry once and go with the good stuff

I have about a dozen promag 10rd mags for my saiga 12, and never had any issues.

I did have issues with the competing "made in America" brand (don't remember the name, but it may be the one that keeps getting mentioned in this thread). I bought 3, and all three would get the rounds stuck in the mad body. I have to disassemble all three and sand the inside of the body down to fix it. Was a PITA. That's why I bought so many more promags.

Flopper
06-10-2011, 3:39 PM
Thanks...
Spyder: I wont get a chance to check it out till next Monday when I return from vacation...if you can still post pics I would appreciate. Thanks

I've heard AGP's are good but have no experience.

Surefire's are GTG though!

MrPlink
06-10-2011, 3:51 PM
my buddy has 2 of em. They fit just fine, they just always FTF. Even after being "broken in"

Sicarius
06-10-2011, 6:21 PM
Too bad they didn't mags that just fall out after the last round lol.
Kevin

vintagedude88
06-10-2011, 8:28 PM
Thanks...

I swear by AGPs. They're goof proof. Have Promags also. Your problem is that it probably wasn't seated in correctly as they are notorious for not fitting properly. I had to do some filing on the mag before it would seat in properly. I'm surprised you were even able to get in one shot with the mag not fitting in right. Usually the Promags have FTFs.

BTW, I traded in the origninal Promags for the "newer" revised version a while back and they still needed fitting to work.:mad:

chaseface
06-11-2011, 1:20 AM
I have had to fit a couple surefire drums and AGP 10 rounders. If you don't hear an audible click when your rocking the mag in then you need to do a little shaving, you can use a file or even a 10 cent emory board for this. I don't have photoshop to circle the areas on the picture so I will try to describe as best as possible.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/bcpries/drummag.jpg

You see the tab that sticks out of the back of the mag that faces you... This may need to be shaved but don't start there. Now under that tab is the metal surface and under the metal you see the plastic ledge? it goes under the metal along the front and along each side of the magazine. Well with Surefires it is normally this ledge that is getting in the way. File, very slowly, just a little at a time, on each side of this ledge where it becomes a corner. You want to shave down the ledge and make it a little shorter, but only on the sides, not directly under the tab. You may be able to see the slight discoloration from where I shaved mine down.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/bcpries/drummag2.jpg

I shaved a couple millimeters on each side and then fit it perfect and tight. Now if that doesn't work then you shave down the top of the tab a little bit but be careful not to shorten the length that the tab sticks out at all. I got all of this info from the guide surefire sent when I ordered there ten round drum. And although yours isn't a drum, its the same technique I used on my AGP ten rounders. Good luck.

JeffM
06-11-2011, 2:03 AM
Promag: proving that a company can survive for years based on the business model "a sucker is born every minute"

jessegpresley
06-12-2011, 1:09 AM
If I was given a Pro Mag product I would throw it in the trash. I wouldn't even bother to sell it, as the buyer would end up complaining about it.

chaseface
06-12-2011, 1:48 PM
There's a lot of Promag haters around here. I haven't had ANY problems with my Promag 10 round drums, but I do agree that there are better mags out there (AGP, factory)

MossbergMan
06-12-2011, 7:58 PM
After fitting the magazine to the gun's latch, no more drop out mag problems with Pro-mag 10 rounders. The 20 round drum is a different story. Can't get all 20 rounds out without a stoppage. Perhaps I'm not winding it up enough.....Oh wait that's my AK47 mag.....nevermind.
I need to look into the AGP mags.....

CaliAR
06-13-2011, 2:21 PM
Thanks guys,
After further investigation the mag is not going in far enought to seat. It seems like the raised design on th side of the mag is where it stops. Im gonna try and shave some of that off first.

EBR Works
06-13-2011, 7:53 PM
Sometimes Always Saiga 12 mags need to be fitted to the gun. Make sure the latch is engaging all the way.

Fixed it for you.

The ProMags come with instructions detailing how to fit them to your gun.

We have a 10 round PMag on a rental S12. No issues after fitting so far. 20 rounder on order...