PDA

View Full Version : Went shooting today, and the guns got soaked...

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-16-2006, 7:15 PM
I was up with some buddies today at Burros, and it started raining, but since the line is covered we didn't sweat it, but then a HUGE gust of wind showed up and drenched us and the guns. I'm cleaning them right now and there's water in the recievers of my AR and FAL, if I spray them with CLP should that be good enough?

Thanks,

Mark

50 Shooter
12-16-2006, 7:20 PM
Just wipe them down with some oil after drying them off and you'll be okay. If your worried about it break out the hair drier and get busy.;)

HKROB
12-16-2006, 7:21 PM
I was up with some buddies today at Burros, and it started raining, but since the line is covered we didn't sweat it, but then a HUGE gust of wind showed up and drenched us and the guns. I'm cleaning them right now and there's water in the recievers of my AR and FAL, if I spray them with CLP should that be good enough?

Thanks,

Mark
CLP will work you could also soak them with wd-40 just spray everything then give it a good wipe down you should be fine.

James R.
12-16-2006, 7:22 PM

Thanks,

Mark

Heh was probably equal parts cold and wet? I thought about going today but the rain sort of turned me off...soggy guns, soggy targets = soggy prospects ;-)

Regards,

James R.

Paul
12-16-2006, 8:38 PM
The aluminum doesn't rust. Clean the barrel and beware of the springs - buffer ought to be alright but look at the detent spring holes. If you've got a good upper you'll have holes in the back of the pocket to allow water out and oil in.

PLINK
12-16-2006, 8:50 PM
Just clean and oil them up. A little water won't hurt'em. Just think of what the military does to them.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys, all cleaned up, oiled, and ready for next time...

Archenemy550
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
were you there shooting a AR with a 74 brake and MM grip? I was up there to, on the shotgun range tho. I glimpsed the AR on my way out.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
were you there shooting a AR with a 74 brake and MM grip? I was up there to, on the shotgun range tho. I glimpsed the AR on my way out.

Nope, I was a few tables over from him, I actually talked to the guy, and his gun was registered but he still used the MM "style" grip, didn't make much sense to me, but whatever floats his boat I guess....

ivanimal
12-16-2006, 11:48 PM
When my guns get wet I always take them out a week later after the initial clean and lube and lube em up again. It only takes a few seconds and you may find a spot you missed before it turns brown. I had an 870 get some spots on it before and it really pissed me off.

fal_762x51
12-17-2006, 1:21 AM
Blow dryer, CLP, and wipe. A week later, get it out and CLP it again. I shoot in Humboldt County in rainy weather and it works for me.