PDA

View Full Version : Handled a Glock yesterday, whats up with the mag release?

problemchild
06-09-2011, 4:29 AM
Who the heck thought having a mag release that cannot be reached without repositioning the hand was a good idea? Then once you reposition your hand your fingers are blocking the opposite side of the mag release stopping it from being pushed.

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. If you look online the trigger, mag release and slide release are an "upgrade" kit to "fix" the glock and make it usable.

Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK and you still have the mag release issue that cant be fixed completely. It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bXDDgg9yA

Bellehood
06-09-2011, 4:33 AM
Who the heck thought having a mag release that cannot be reached without repositioning the hand was a good idea? Then once you reposition your hand your fingers are blocking the opposite side of the mag release stopping it from being pushed.

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. If you look online the trigger, mag release and slide release are an "upgrade" kit to "fix" the glock and make it usable.

Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK and you still have the mag release issue that cant be fixed completely. It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.

I have no problem dropping the mag one handed on my Glock 19, right or left hand (i mostly shoot lefty). I'm not sure what your complaining about. And yes, I have the stock mag release in the gun. I find it no different than any other gun that has the mag release in the same position.

RollingCode3
06-09-2011, 4:37 AM
Another glock bashing thread. Why do you need two hands to release the mag? Thousands of professional shooters and trainers have no issues with it. I shoot with a bunch of very small female shooters and they dont even have an issue with the mag release. I have small hand and I have no issues with it.

RollingCode3
06-09-2011, 4:39 AM
Go ahead and buy that H&K since you hate everything about the Glock..

jshoebot
06-09-2011, 4:41 AM
I shoot with a bunch of very small female shooters

:shifty:

:useless:

:rofl2:

Chaos47
06-09-2011, 4:49 AM
Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK...

Really? glaring? Tell that to the thousands of police officers that use them and have no issues..

What kit are you looking at? The factory extended part is a bit over 3 bucks and the slide stop is about 10...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=170748
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=799965

Edited to add:
Forgot you also took issue with the serrated trigger so here's the smooth one
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=535394
I have the 34 that has all these "upgrades" and I have never had to re-position my hand to do a reload, or any of these other issues you have.

RollingCode3
06-09-2011, 4:52 AM
Like I said, another Glock bashing thread :/

Chaos47
06-09-2011, 5:09 AM
Yea well holding a gun (probably wrong) for 2 minutes makes you an expert on these things ya know

louderthangod
06-09-2011, 5:41 AM
I don't get why you would need to reposition your hand to release the magazine. Even on my G21 which some say has a large grip it's never been a problem for me. I'll give you that the slide release did take me a minute to get used to but I mainly rack by pulling the slide anyways. It took me about $20 and 5 minutes to switch to the extended slide release. Triggers are always a personal preference. I'm so used to Glocks that many 1911's feel twitchy rather than confident. Either way their are plenty different brands and parts out there...you're just not a Glock kind of guy, nothing wrong with that.

Oceanbob
06-09-2011, 6:00 AM
A stock Glock works for millions of people.

However, you can change out those parts in 5 minutes for under 30 bucks.

I've never had a problem with the mag release; I do change out some of my Glocks to the extended slide release, especially on my Large Frame Glocks.

I don't have a problem with the serratted trigger on all the models EXCEPT my GLOCK 26....for some reason that trigger burnished my finger when shooting hot Cor-Bon 9MM..so I spent 14 bucks and changed the trigger to the G17 SMOOTH trigger bar. No problems.

As for the trigger, you can install a 4.5 (used to be called the 3.5) Glock factory disconnector; another 5 minute job.

Another idea my friend is to buy a USED Glock; save a bit of money and get one that already has these changes.

My 1992 Gen 2 Glock 17 with my new in box Gen 3 Glock 17OD. The New one has all the mods already.

http://i53.tinypic.com/29p3vy0.jpg

Another neat weapon is the GLOCK 26 running with Glock 19 magazines and the Mag Sleeve. This is the one I had to change to the smooth trigger bar to keep my finger safe; most people don't have this problem, just me I guess.LOL. Also I installed a 4.5 connector and the extended slide release. I like the magazine release STOCK, because I can easily drop the mag with one hand if needed. These G26s are very accurate and reliable for the money.
Certainly not an HK product, but with several aftermarket items, much more customizable than the HK. And less money.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rcsrkg.jpg

Be well.
Bob

FourLoko
06-09-2011, 6:02 AM
right, you're smarter than glock, that's why no one uses them

hilarious

sd_shooter
06-09-2011, 6:25 AM
I agree with PC 100%, and I don't think he's trolling. A stock Glock does have a rather short mag release and the serrated trigger is a very common complaint.

I replaced my mag release with this:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/glock-mag-catch/

I sanded down the serrations on the trigger and thus ended up with a "free" smooth trigger, but a factory version can be found:
How can I get a smooth trigger for my compact Glock?
All you need to do is order the "trigger with trigger bar" for a full size Glock (about $15) and replace the trigger. You will need to remove one small pin to disassemble the trigger from the trigger bar.
http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=Glock_FAQ_Gunsmithing_Parts#trig smooth

The stock sights are plastic and I'll upgrade mine when I can afford it.

Once you get past all these shortcomings, the Glock is a great gun! :D (really)

For "out of the box" value nothing beats an M&P, IMO. Steel guide rod, steel sights, nothing to sand or replace (but stock trigger parts benefit from polishing.)

coyotebait
06-09-2011, 6:30 AM
Some people are incapable handling a firearm, deciding that it's not for them and then just move on. They have some sort of twisted need to get on a forum and attempt to bash the snot out of it. Maybe he is compensating for a lack shooting ability?
I have 2 Glocks, the G17RTF2 and the G30, I have no problem manipulating either, come to think of it, neither does my 10 year old.

coyotebait
06-09-2011, 6:35 AM
I agree with PC 100%, and I don't think he's trolling. A stock Glock does have a rather short mag release and the serrated trigger is a very common complaint.

I sanded down the serrations on the trigger and thus ended up with a "free" smooth trigger, but a factory version can be found:

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=Glock_FAQ_Gunsmithing_Parts#trig smooth

For "out of the box" value nothing beats an M&P, IMO. Steel guide rod, steel sights, nothing to sand or replace (but stock trigger parts benefit from polishing.)

Glock Night Sights are metal. $50.00 upgrade. Look almost identical to my Trijicon. ($130.00.....if memory serves me right)

VictorFranko
06-09-2011, 6:37 AM
Prerequisite for owning a GLOCK: Man hands

pTa
06-09-2011, 6:42 AM
I shif tmy grip to operate the release on the G19/ shot someone elses G26 that had an extende drelease and it sometimes let go of the mag if you put it on the matt right side up/ if every brand fit every one/ how boring would these forums be?

midvalleyshooter
06-09-2011, 7:36 AM
Short thumbs?

vmwerks
06-09-2011, 7:40 AM
Glaring faults? Grow larger hands, I have no issues with mine. Nor with my 1911's but it doesn't prevent me from adding a larger tricked out piece. Besides if you didn't mod your gun to fit better the world would be full of boring off the shelf guns.

epilepticninja
06-09-2011, 7:58 AM
I've got a G21 and a USP45. Lately, I've been McLovin' on my Glock.

G60
06-09-2011, 8:03 AM
No gun is perfect out of the box, but man, I've never seen anyone bawww so hard about a gun not fitting them.

They're built for duty, not competition or target shooting.

ZombieTactics
06-09-2011, 8:13 AM
The OP seems to not understand that hands are different sizes.

DannyInSoCal
06-09-2011, 8:32 AM
My 1911 was too small for me - Sold it - Bought a G30SF.

Not right - Traded it for a G21 - Happy.

Only took a few hundred rounds through each sidearm to make my decisions....

plumbum
06-09-2011, 8:37 AM
I know that Glock makes some excellent pistols, but the experience of the OP is exactly what I have encountered; even the G36 is just a hair too long in the grip. I wouldn't say I have small hands, just more squared (not like all those slender, effeminate, Euro hands :D).

I'd buy a Glock if they make the G36 into a full size though!

NotEnufGarage
06-09-2011, 8:43 AM
Took me 30 seconds and about 5 bucks to put an extended mag release on mine.

Extended slide release, about 10 minutes (with polishing) and $12.

Stop whining.

gorenut
06-09-2011, 8:43 AM
Have a G34 and the grip size is perfect for me, but I guess every user is different. Just because a gun doesn't work out for you, no reason to completely bash it... even worse start a thread about it. Nothing in the OP hasn't been said before. I think the thread would have been more constructive if it asked questions on possible suggestions instead.

Hope you're happy with H&K though, the USP didn't really work out for me and in my personal experience.. Glock trigger (and pretty much every other gun I've had) was an upgrade from a USP (never tried LEM though). Still great guns though.

SupportGeek
06-09-2011, 9:12 AM
Enjoy your HK, more Glocks for us!

Grow larger hands

:rofl::rofl: HAHA!!!:rofl::rofl:

problemchild
06-09-2011, 9:37 AM
Here is my HK with one hand. No repositioning needed. I was not able, despite my very large hands, to reach the Glocks mag release and push it in. My wife was not able to push the slide release without great effort. She also had difficulty with the mag release even with two hands. No such issues with the HK. The glock needs upgrades I dont care what the voices from kool-aid tells you.

I also assume the Nutnfancy is all wrong about the glock as well thats why he upgraded all the parts on his? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bXDDgg9yA)

Keep in mind I actually went down to BUY the glock for my wife not bash the glock on some kool-aid drinking forum.

uqUh-Ku7Vh0

Marlin Hunter
06-09-2011, 9:38 AM

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. ...

It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.

I had to molest my Glock after reading your post

The mag release is a little awkward and hard to press for a target gun, but it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed for the Austrian military. The original Glock mags were designed so that if you accidentally pushed the mag release the (full) mag would stay in the gun and not drop on the ground. The mag release was also designed so someone couldn't accidentally release the mag. Glock changed the mag drop feature because A LOT of people, including law enforcement, complained. I liked the fact that the mags stayed in the gun. Once you (I) get comfortable with the release, it isn't a problem.

The slide release (not slide take-down) could be improved.

The trigger is not serrated on my Glock, so I can't comment. The one thing I don't like about the trigger is that the little plastic safety doesn't fully blend into the trigger when my finger is on the trigger. It is annoying.

If the gun doesn't fit YOU than your observations are correct (for you).

I had a Colt Mustang 380, and EVERTIME the gun fired it would rotate in my hand and the safety would hit my thumb and click on. I could only fire one shot with that gun. It was useless for ME. Nobody else had that problem.

problemchild
06-09-2011, 9:40 AM
Thanks ....

An honest person.

I thought about buying all the parts and then changed my mind. I need to know its going to work for my wife in the store not after I order all the parts to correct the flaws.

problemchild
06-09-2011, 9:45 AM
There is one thing I do not like about the HK and the reason I was looking at the glock. When you move your thumb to release the slide its all too easy to bump the safety up to the "on" position if you are not careful. I have trained myself to use my left hand to drop the slide and avoid the pitfall.

I had to molest my Glock after reading your post

The mag release is a little awkward and hard to press for a target gun, but it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed for the Austrian military. The original Glock mags were designed so that if you accidentally pushed the mag release the (full) mag would stay in the gun and not drop on the ground. The mag release was also designed so someone couldn't accidentally release the mag. Glock changed the mag drop feature because A LOT of people, including law enforcement, complained. I liked the fact that the mags stayed in the gun. Once you (I) get comfortable with the release, it isn't a problem.

The slide release (not slide take-down) could be improved.

The trigger is not serrated on my Glock, so I can't comment. The one thing I don't like about the trigger is that the little plastic safety doesn't fully blend into the trigger when my finger is on the trigger. It is annoying.

If the gun doesn't fit YOU than your observations are correct (for you).

I had a Colt Mustang 380, and EVERTIME the gun fired it would rotate in my hand and the safety would hit my thumb and click on. I could only fire one shot with that gun. It was useless for ME. Nobody else had that problem.

CK_32
06-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Op explain which generation... Because the gen3 mag realease I have heard some problems but I sort of like it. The gen 4 has like a complete new lay out with just about all of the features u have stated... It's gone through a major change..

And just FYI the trigger is like that for the oh SH*T factor for hd when you pull your gun and see and intruder and it ends up being little Jimmy taking a p*ss at 1 am... And also sonyou don't have an accidental discharge un bolstering for LEO/Mil.

I have a feeling you were looking at the gen3 take a look at picking up a 4 in some way. Havnt heard a single bad even from the anti glock guys.. They don like it but it's alright ;)

And if you were fondling a gen4 you are seriously the first to complain about that mag release because that's like half the reason why people want it. The trigger is still stiff but now we know why and you can buy a simple piece to have the slide release have a little lip direct from glock and easier to push. And it's not that glock left it's flaws it's that they have tried fixing it and I thought it was perfect but people complained why did you change it and cried for days about the changes and users like you and my self like thought those changes were nice god pushed away by the flock old timers that don't want anything to change or are scared of the young generation :D

CK_32
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Ps the gen 4 also has a slimmer grip than most with the non back strap option... For the guys with the size issues.. Still has the "hump" people hate but it is in deed some what slimed another major change people are talking about non stop in reviews.

Ps I personally don't like the grip angle on the HK.

Doheny
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Prerequisite for owning a GLOCK: Man Card

fixed that. ;)

Hogxtz
06-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I have seen folks with short thumbs have difficulties with Glocks. But you know what they say? Guys with short thumbs means they also have short (you know whats) so they are not man enough to own a Glock!heheheheheehehe

HighLander51
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
So just how does Sevigny, and all the other USPSA Grand Masters, IDPA Masters, Steel Challenge Grand Masters, and 3 gun Grand Masters manage their Glocks?

Extremely well.....

http://sevignyperformance.com/gallery/shooting_pics/Sevigny_09USPNa.jpg

kmchui
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
OP, I had the same problem with the standard mag release on my G17. It just took way too much effort to engage while reloading. Bought a Lone Wolf extended mag release on eBay for about $6, and the problem's all gone.

Love my G17 :)

drifts1
06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Which trigger is standard on 3gen Glocks? Serrated or smooth?

vmwerks
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is my HK with one hand. No repositioning needed. I was not able, despite my very large hands, to reach the Glocks mag release and push it in. My wife was not able to push the slide release without great effort. She also had difficulty with the mag release even with two hands. No such issues with the HK. The glock needs upgrades I dont care what the voices from kool-aid tells you.

I also assume the Nutnfancy is all wrong about the glock as well thats why he upgraded all the parts on his? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bXDDgg9yA)

Keep in mind I actually went down to BUY the glock for my wife not bash the glock on some kool-aid drinking forum.

Take it easy - I think most of us are kidding around. Either the gun fits or it don't but there's nothing wrong with Glocks out of the box. I think your comment about "Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun" is what got folks riled up around here. 1911's are great out of the box but they seem to get a lot of mods done to personalize them.

coyotebait
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Should also note that the Gen4, can have the mag release on the other side also. Maybe easier for some to release the mag with their index finger.

fullspeed1
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Suggesting that "Glock should take a long glaring look at the fault of the gun" is by no means bashing. Somewhere in the world of youtube is a 10 year old girl taking a fighting pistol class from Tactical Response using a Glock 19. Now, it's not necessarily Kool Aid drinking when most anyone can agree that Glocks are pretty damn good for what they are, A simple, No frills, Reliable combat pistol. After having shot a Glock for several years and taken classes with it, I can honestly say that it is ergonomically perfect in terms of weapons manipulation. Don't worry folks, I work in EMS...Arguing with those who are less intelligent will get you nowhere.

It takes two hands to release the mag? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbC5mEc6ipE

Here you go http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/962106881/m/7701099844

JaeOne3345
06-09-2011, 2:07 PM
You have all sorts of choices. I own the extended release (came factory on my 34), a Vickers, and a JP extended. The JP extended is easiest for me.

JP extended mag release. Done.
http://www.jprifles.com/photos/JPGMB2.jpg

Keep in mind this is not a Glock specific problem. Plenty of STI/SVI 2011 owners use a similar device
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/al503/DSC01370.jpg

JaeOne3345
06-09-2011, 2:11 PM
It takes two hands to release the mag? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbC5mEc6ipE

Totally different circumstance.

That guy is a lefty. He uses his middle finger to drop the mag. This is an actual quote from the shooter in the vid.

I use my middle finger cause it's stronger and it's right there. The first thing I do immediately after hitting the button is REGRIP the gun with my strong hand thumb up out of the way. As soon as that mag falls I turn the gun just slightly so I can see the magwell then I insert the mag into the pull with one smooth push upward and regrip the gun with both hands when the mag is seated. Hope this helps a bit.

We say: Push the button, regrip the gun, look, seat, flip, stick

vmwerks
06-09-2011, 2:21 PM
Suggesting that "Glock should take a long glaring look at the fault of the gun" is by no means bashing. Somewhere in the world of youtube is a 10 year old girl taking a fighting pistol class from Tactical Response using a Glock 19. Now, it's not necessarily Kool Aid drinking when most anyone can agree that Glocks are pretty damn good for what they are, A simple, No frills, Reliable combat pistol. After having shot a Glock for several years and taken classes with it, I can honestly say that it is ergonomically perfect in terms of weapons manipulation. Don't worry folks, I work in EMS...Arguing with those who are less intelligent will get you nowhere.

Here you go http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/962106881/m/7701099844

EMS? True to a tee, which is why I choose not to argue with you.

fullspeed1
06-09-2011, 2:28 PM
Totally different circumstance.

That guy is a lefty. He uses his middle finger to drop the mag. This is an actual quote from the shooter in the vid.

Different circumstance? If he's a lefty and Glocks are primarly designed for right handed shooters wouldn't it be harder for him to release the mag? He doesnt seem to have an issue with one hand. My point being is that it doesn't take 2 hands to release a mag on a Glock.

fuenstock
06-09-2011, 2:35 PM
Gen 4 glocks = your problems solved. I traded my gen 3's for gen 4's and love the new upgrades. I had the same problems with the gen 3's since I have small hands. I couldn't reach mag realese, grip was to big.

tacticalcity
06-09-2011, 2:40 PM

The magazine release on the HK USP takes 2 fingers to do it reliably (thumb and trigger finger which is a bad idea several reasons) or it cants and doesn't work. Don't get me wrong I like the HK USP. But the magazine release on it is not one of the reasons why. They are the goofiest mag releases I have ever seen and an absolutely terrible design. So all credibility went right out the window once you said the HK magazine release was superior. You are just used to something really goofy and are finding normal to be off putting. In other words, it is definately you and not the gun. If you had said you like just about any other gun better I would not feel that way. But in this case, it is clearly you. Which is fine. It is OK to be different. But given nasty tone of your post and the ridiculous things you base your claims on I feel the need to spell it out for you.

Take a 4 Day Training Course with a Glock. You will quickly change your mind. Your take on it is very odd to say the least. Just handling it in the store, or even just plinking with it for a few minutes will still leave you utterly clueless as to whether or not it is the right gun for you. You really need to put it thru the paces to know which gun works best. If not then you are just guessing. Something I discovered the hard way long ago. I didn't like the Glock at first. Then I spent four 8 hours a day with one putting it thru the paces. Been in love with it ever since.

Tiberius
06-09-2011, 2:42 PM
Could we please get back to the "very small female shooters"? I'm picturing something from Oz . . . .

06-09-2011, 2:48 PM
:rofl: at this thread.

zfields
06-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Quick, someone is bashing a glock! Everyone get him! Burn the heretic!

Seriously guys. Glock lovers bash everything else, deal with it when someone doesnt like your choice.

zfields
06-09-2011, 3:09 PM

Seriously guys. Glock lovers bash everything else, deal with it when someone doesnt like your choice.

RollingCode3
06-09-2011, 3:17 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0959-1.jpg

stormy_clothing
06-09-2011, 3:25 PM
let me just say this to the OP today I took 3 new shooters to the range and gave them a 9mm HK USP a 40 S&W M&P and a glock 17 to shoot all three are going to buy the glock 17 as a result - I didnt say anything to them except to explain the functions of each 3 types.

if you cant reach the mag release its a cheap fix to get an extended one like the 34/35 are equipped with.

All pistols are a mix of compromises the release is good enough for most law enforcement use with holsters ect.

And if that doesnt matter to you this should.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

tacticalcity
06-09-2011, 3:29 PM

You bring the gasoline I'll bring the matches. ;)

As a CZ guy I figured you would used to everybody trying to convert you. The 1911, Sig and Glock guys are always treating CZ fans like the great unwashed.

I don't mind if people don't like the Glock. It's that he goes on rant about the mag release being a design flaw then says he's going to get another HK. Maybe the magazine release on his HK is different than the one on the USP...but if not he has some really strange ideas about what makes a superior magazine release. The one on my HK USP was goofy as all heck and difficult to use. There were plenty of other things I liked about it, but the magazine was the biggest issue that stood out. It is an extremely common complaint about the HK.

InGrAM
06-09-2011, 3:35 PM
lol, You sure did ask for it. There is a lot of glock fans and they will piss on you if you try and bash their glocks. But seriously glock guys are like Toyota guys. They bash everything else and when someone doesn't like their product they cant stand it.

TBH glock makes a fine line of guns. They work, are accurate, and with the right trigger modification can be very fun to shoot. If you don't like glocks that is fine, stick to a company that you like. No need to bash on a gun that works just because you had issues with your hands.

But everyone has their own opinion. I personally do not like the grip angle on the glock and the fact that it does not have an external safety but that doesn't mean I don't own one and that I wouldn't trust my life to it.

SGGear
06-09-2011, 3:39 PM
I have to agree with the OP to a certain point. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my Glock. But what annoys me is that the plain ol factory mag release and slide stop suck! and theres ALOT of people that swap them out. It would be such a small fix for Glocks to fix, yet "we" as a customer have to pay $15-30 extra bucks out of our pocket to change that. Why dont Glock look at the fact that there is a huge number of Glock owners that prefer a little bit more material at the end? Do they make alot of money selling these extra parts? OR are they receiving money from OEM company that makes aftermarket parts for the Glock?

HK35
06-09-2011, 4:02 PM
The magazine release on the HK USP takes 2 fingers to do it reliably (thumb and trigger finger which is a bad idea several reasons) or it cants and doesn't work.

Really? I only use one finger on mine. I guess you need manly fingers to operate an HK release. :43:

Seriously, you need to put an HK through its paces to really appreciate it. I've taken classes with mine and have since appreciated its well engineer design.

JaeOne3345
06-09-2011, 4:19 PM
Different circumstance? If he's a lefty and Glocks are primarly designed for right handed shooters wouldn't it be harder for him to release the mag? He doesnt seem to have an issue with one hand. My point being is that it doesn't take 2 hands to release a mag on a Glock.

No it isn't harder, at least for myself. Try it yourself. Your trigger finger comes off of the trigger during a safe reload anyway, really easy to move it back just a tad more and hit the release.

We understand the point you were trying to make, but the example you showed is not really applicable because it is a left handed shooter.

Believe it or not, some right handed people prefer to convert their guns to have the mag release on the strong hand side for that very reason. Take a gander over on the brianenos.com competition forums and you'll see that quite a few people run mag releases on their strong side on SVI/STI 2011's.
If there was an option to convert my 34 to have an ambi release, I would put it on the strong (right) side without a question.

The JP mag release is good enough for me though. I haven't had any issues with it in matches doing reloads on the clock. Moves it back enough for me not to necessitate switching my grip during a match. The normal glock mag release is around where the allen key screw is. Instead of having to stretch my finger that far or switch my grip position I can easily get to the extended tab.

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/JPGMB2.jpg

I personally hate the OEM extended release. Way to sharp and cuts my support side palm up when using a high axis thumbs forward grip.

Everyone has different hands, your mileage may vary.

Foriegn power
06-09-2011, 4:21 PM
I can offer you to shoot some rounds through my Glock 26 and 34 if you wish, when I hear oh the trigger sucks etc. I think that is not valid unless you shot some rounds through a broken in Glock.

JaeOne3345
06-09-2011, 4:25 PM
I have to agree with the OP to a certain point. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my Glock. But what annoys me is that the plain ol factory mag release and slide stop suck! and theres ALOT of people that swap them out. It would be such a small fix for Glocks to fix, yet "we" as a customer have to pay $15-30 extra bucks out of our pocket to change that. Why dont Glock look at the fact that there is a huge number of Glock owners that prefer a little bit more material at the end? Do they make alot of money selling these extra parts? OR are they receiving money from OEM company that makes aftermarket parts for the Glock?

The extended slide stop is HATED by many, myself included. As soon as I got my 34 I took it out and installed a a standard one. I was getting a few unintended slide locks in the middle of a match. No problems since the change.

gorenut
06-09-2011, 4:33 PM
Its not that hard of a fix. With my G34, I just sanded down some of the serration. I had the problem if it digging into my support hand too. Now its very nice. No more than 15 minutes with a Dremel.

JaeOne3345
06-09-2011, 4:36 PM
Its not that hard of a fix. With my G34, I just sanded down some of the serration. I had the problem if it digging into my support hand too. Now its very nice. No more than 15 minutes with a Dremel.

I did that too. Then found it was illegal for production :mad:.

I still have it actually, all smoothed down.

I shoot in Limited now so anything goes (almost).

stitch_paradox
06-09-2011, 4:49 PM

Glocks are not for small and delicate handed people.

I kid, I kid.

Honestly, though my wife and some of her friends have really small hands and they have no problem with the set up of Glocks.

707electrician
06-09-2011, 5:12 PM

I rarely see glock fans bashing everything else but there is always a lot of glock bashing, especially from the 1911 guys

blakdawg
06-09-2011, 5:20 PM
Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun.

Glock has already sold 8 million handguns with that basic design, and will probably cross the 9 million mark this year.

It's perfectly reasonable for you to say that you don't like Glocks - but to say that the basic design has "glaring faults" when it works so well for so many people is just stupid.

"Not right for you" is not nearly the same thing as "glaring faults".

USMC 82-86
06-09-2011, 5:31 PM
I have the G19 and have no problem releasing the magazine. I can use my left or right thumb without having to alter my grip. Sorry to hear about your problem. Some guns just don't feel right. This may be the case for you and Glocks. I must admit I never gave Glocks a second look until the rep ask me to try it just once before I bought my 9mm. I think for me I made the best choice in the G19. It is a great combat pistol and it has very good accuracy and has good balance. I like the shorter mag release and can drop it with no issue.

furyous68
06-09-2011, 5:56 PM
As a new Glock owner, I'll throw my 2 cents in...

I took my 21c shooting for the fist time Wednesday. I'm in love. I had no problem w/ the mag release or the trigger (though mine is a smooth trigger). The gun fit my hand very well. I need to work on my hold a bit, I started gripping it and got bit by the slide a couple times. Here are a couple shots of my 1st 30rds through he gun @ 21':

ZombieTactics
06-09-2011, 6:26 PM
No comment required:

hCuvmbeX8t0 2B2rKj4eZgo
bDlodGEp_9o

USMC 82-86
06-09-2011, 7:34 PM
That 11 year old handles herself better than some grown men I see shooting.

vintagearms
06-09-2011, 7:52 PM

:nuts:

RugerFanRyan
06-09-2011, 7:58 PM

Lol true.

Also!! That episode of Seinfeld is on right now :D

Stanze
06-09-2011, 7:59 PM
Me and my G17 3rd Gen dumping mags.

http://www.myspace.com/video/stanze/gizat/4060570

The bit at the end is my homage to the Cold Steel demo dude.:D

noob_tube
06-09-2011, 7:59 PM

QFT!!! :thumbsup:

corporateslave
06-09-2011, 8:33 PM
I am 6'2" with bigger than average hands and I cannot reliably hit the Glock mag release. I can hit it with one hand, I can even hit it with one hand without shifting my grip, but it's hard. I want a mag release that I can manipulate easily without shifting my grip.

I think when the OP talks about a two handed mag release he means one that you have to shift your grip to hit, and two hands are typically used for that technique. For an example see the little girl in the videos posted above who cannot hit the mag release without shifting her grip.

For the sake of simplicity and economy of motion I choose to buy pistols that do not require me to do this. That's why I have a M&P and a 1911 and not a Glock.

evolixsurf
06-09-2011, 8:43 PM
I thought the same exact thing. I threw in a factory extended mag release and its great. Problem solved completely.

tacticalcity
06-09-2011, 8:49 PM
I am 6'2" with bigger than average hands and I cannot reliably hit the Glock mag release. I can hit it with one hand, I can even hit it with one hand without shifting my grip, but it's hard. I want a mag release that I can manipulate easily without shifting my grip.

I think when the OP talks about a two handed mag release he means one that you have to shift your grip to hit, and two hands are typically used for that technique. For an example see the little girl in the videos posted above who cannot hit the mag release without shifting her grip.

For the sake of simplicity and economy of motion I choose to buy pistols that do not require me to do this. That's why I have a M&P and a 1911 and not a Glock.

Well I have small hands so unless it is a pocket pistol I'm going to be shifting my grip. 1911, Glock. Same difference for me. At least 50% of shooters are in the same boat.

I think it has more to do with his being accustomed to the magazine release on the HK USP and newer HKs. It is a unique animal all its own. Functions totally differently. It is not button all but more of a wedge located under the trigger guard and extends to both sides so it is technically ambi. It is really "different". Instead of pushing it in, you tip it downward. They say it can be done with 1 finger. But my USP would cant when you used just one finger and would stick. So I had to use my thumb on one side and my trigger finger on the other. Which is less than idea. But, I didn't need to shift my grip to use it like I do on push button thumb releases. Between the two, I would rather shift my grip and only need to use my thumb. I like the HKs, but the magazine release is one my dislikes.

Here is a picture of the HK P2000. It is the most detailed picture of the magazine release I could find. Notice that it is not a button but a lever.

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/hk/hk_p2000sk_02.jpg

Cokebottle
06-09-2011, 9:05 PM
I changed my slide stop, only to make it easier to lock the slide back without a mag inserted (or with a loaded mag).
I don't use it to release the slide so that wasn't an issue.

My only other complaint on the G26 was the takedown pin. Can't operate it for a week after trimming my nails. I got the extended pin (3mm longer) and it's an improvement, but it's still a pain.

The trigger doesn't bother me, but I might look into a smooth trigger.

fullspeed1
06-09-2011, 9:18 PM
I changed my slide stop, only to make it easier to lock the slide back without a mag inserted (or with a loaded mag).
I don't use it to release the slide so that wasn't an issue.

My only other complaint on the G26 was the takedown pin. Can't operate it for a week after trimming my nails. I got the extended pin (3mm longer) and it's an improvement, but it's still a pain.

The trigger doesn't bother me, but I might look into a smooth trigger.

They don't call it a "Slide Stop" for no reason. I myself never use it to release the slide on a loaded mag either, On both my Glock and 1911. I always slingshot the slide for a more positive feed, Every time....

Jason762
06-09-2011, 9:38 PM
There is one thing I do not like about the HK and the reason I was looking at the glock. When you move your thumb to release the slide its all too easy to bump the safety up to the "on" position if you are not careful. I have trained myself to use my left hand to drop the slide and avoid the pitfall.

But you couldn't train yourself to learn how to use the Glock mag release? Interesting...

inspectorjj
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
If I got shot and killed and went to Heaven and told St. Peter that the reason I died was because I couldn't work the mag release on my Glock 19,
I'm sure he would say "No way, (insert punchline here)"!

inspectorjj
06-14-2011, 2:14 PM
Wow! I didn't mean to kill the thread. I'll go back and edit.

SixtyDashOne
06-14-2011, 2:57 PM
The magazine release on the HK USP takes 2 fingers to do it reliably (thumb and trigger finger which is a bad idea several reasons) or it cants and doesn't work.

Maybe for you it does, but your blanket statement is false for the vast majority of USP users. I've never had a problem operating a HK mag release with 1 finger, nor have I ever heard of anybody having that issue.

gorenut
06-14-2011, 3:21 PM
Maybe for you it does, but your blanket statement is false for the vast majority of USP users. I've never had a problem operating a HK mag release with 1 finger, nor have I ever heard of anybody having that issue.

I agree. Even though I no longer own a USP, but own a Glock.. when I had the USP, I rather liked the mag release. It was very easy for me to manipulating with 1 finger. I usually used my middle finger on my trigger hand. It allowed everything else to stay in the same firing position.

CK_32
06-14-2011, 3:28 PM
No comment required:

hCuvmbeX8t0 2B2rKj4eZgo
bDlodGEp_9o

That post was just random.....