PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a C&R Over Under shotgun with changable choke tubes

farias4000
06-08-2011, 9:48 PM
I've been looking around for a C&R Over Under shotgun with changable choke tubes but having a hard time finding one. Been addicted to shining up and restoring wood on these wonderful classics. Now my next project is trying to do something diffrent here on the skeet field. Figured maybe a C&R over under will do. However all the C&R 50+ I scene have fixed chokes. Anyone know of particular models that have changable choke tubes that would work on the skeet field considered as C&R? Were choke tubes developed less than 50 years ago?

Thefeeder
06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Yoy have it right...no choke tubes back then.

Try looking for shotguns with fixed Skeet choke....many of O/U were made with both barrels choked Skeet.

G60
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Quick search says first screw-in chokes appeared on Winchester model 101...depending on source, winchester 101 introduced in 1959-1963, cannot find when during production chokes were introduced, so doubt you'd find a C&R with factory chokes. Just a very quick search so i'm not sure how entirely accurate info is.

best bet would be to have a smith tap the barrel for chokes?

bjl333
06-08-2011, 10:39 PM
You can buy an O/U of your choice and have Briley install their excellent "Thinwall choke tubes" These are used by many competitive shooters.

Revoman
06-09-2011, 7:11 PM
^^^

What they said....

mjsweims
06-09-2011, 9:49 PM
You can buy an O/U of your choice and have Briley install their excellent "Thinwall choke tubes" These are used by many competitive shooters.

Briley, Carlson and others will machine and fit choke tubes. If your just going to use it for skeet though, you can get a gunsmith to ream the barrels for whatever constriction you want, providing you start off more constricted.

farias4000
06-10-2011, 5:37 PM
I may go with the machined option. Who is Briley and Carlson?

Have you guys scene some shooting these older over unders with good results?

Super Spy
06-10-2011, 5:39 PM
Cool idea, I would love a C&R O/U for skeet, though may just deal with whatever choke it has.

farias4000
06-10-2011, 5:44 PM
Yeah I've been thinking about it for a while. When I shopped around locally I've scene some unsafe not for fire collectibles. Then they have safe to shoot grade that had some wierd tiger stripe patern on the barrel which was safe to shoot but the cost was an arm and a leg.

Just trying to be diffrent here. But as close to cool as them old folks with their extended chokes hanging out of that barrel all anodized and shiny.

mjsweims
06-10-2011, 9:34 PM
I may go with the machined option. Who is Briley and Carlson?

Briley and Carlson manufacture chokes (and other things). They also offer gunsmithing services to convert fixed choke barrels to screw in chokes. Check their websites. Generally their turnaround times are pretty good unless you are getting close to the start of deer or bird season.

farias4000
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Bringing this back up for discussion. I haven't made a choice as of yet. Me and my buddy are looking around for a classic and many with fixed tubes like a browning seem like there've very little room to even thread. Reference to the photo below. Is this very thin on the top tube to even get this done? My 870 tubes alone look just as thick as that bottom tube. Now that I'm thinking about this, it may effect my buying decision.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103160&stc=1&d=1308595401

bjl333
06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Bringing this back up for discussion. I haven't made a choice as of yet. Me and my buddy are looking around for a classic and many with fixed tubes like a browning seem like there've very little room to even thread. Reference to the photo below. Is this very thin on the top tube to even get this done? My 870 tubes alone look just as thick as that bottom tube. Now that I'm thinking about this, it may effect my buying decision.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103160&stc=1&d=1308595401

Briley has their ThinWalls chokes. They are VERY thin, I've had'em in a couple of shotguns. If you're not sure you can give Briley a call and see if they could do it on the particular shotgun you're thinking about!!

Brd_Hntr
06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I had a set of Briley thin wall chokes installed more than five years ago on an older 20 gauge browning. At the time their web site listed minimum thickness requirements, so I miked the barrels and saw I was right at the minimum thickness. I talked with someone in their shop and sent the barrels. After they inspected the barrels I was warned that the finish could possibly be damaged by the threading. I wanted to use the same gun shooting skeet and hunting, so I told them to go ahead I'd take the risk. The job came out flawless. Those barrels have served me well. Their thin wall chokes are excellent. I shoot steel shot through them regularly at skeet, and have hunted that shotgun many times. Briley was very easy to deal with. That was money well spent and I would have no problem having them do it again.

farias4000
06-20-2011, 3:01 PM
Sounds like calling Briley is just the way to go. I'll buzz them up see what they say. Thanks you guys!

JagerDog
06-20-2011, 6:17 PM
What they all said. Screw in chokes didn't come out till about early 80's. Some C&R pumps and autos had polychokes (twist adjustable) installed. The only way you'll find a C&R O/U with chokes is if someone else already send to Briley et.al.

Briley can put chokes in guns others can't. I had them installed in circa 60's Beretta which was too thin for everyone else. Beware, it'll cost ya about $500 though. Otherwise a decent shotgun smith can open up your existing chokes.

In general, I'd stay away from the "tiger striped" ones. Those are Damascus steel from the black powder era. If you shoot them at all, it should be with reduced pressure loads. And who knows what the pressure is in factory target rounds? Likely pretty high. This practice is best reserved for those well schooled in old guns.