PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Gun Store Customers

Guitarnut
12-16-2006, 2:04 PM
I thought since we have a good and bad gun store list, we start a list of the worst gun store customers.

You know, like the cheapskates who nickel and dime clerks to death, the jerks who look at the price tag and then ask “what’s your best price?“, come in with no intention of spending any money but handle every gun in the store, come in to check out the inventory fully knowing they will be buying it online for less, come in to talk to employees cause they have some time to kill and nowhere else to go, come in with no intention of spending money, or more likely no money to spend, so they engage other customers offering up their “expert” advise and maybe kill a sale or two in the process, the guy who likes to point out to customers where they might find the same item they are about to buy for less elsewhere, and lets not forget the dummy who comes in to do two private party transfers for two different buyers, and wants you to put it on one DROS to save him ten bucks.

Lets have some fun with that.

Happy holidays

prebans
12-16-2006, 2:51 PM
(A guy brings an AR-15 rifle with collaping stock and 11.5" upper to my gun show table.)

Me: "Nice SBR; did you Form 1 it or is it a factory gun?"

Guy: "I just found out this is illegal. Can you buy it from me?"

Me: "Get that out of here."

Guy: "Look, JUST TAKE IT."

Me: "Get that out of here. NOW."

Guy: "Why are you being such a dickhead?"

Me: "You've got ten seconds to get that out of here before I call show security to summon the ATF and the Sheriff's Deupty."

Guy: (Insert lots of swearing and ranting about me taking away his rights, being a jerk, etc. He drops the rifle on my table and demands that I take it from him.)

Me: "Security is right there." (I point to a security guard 20' away.) "Four... Three... Two..."

Guy: "F____ you!" (Takes rifle and leaves quickly)

-----

(Phone rings)

Some guy: "Hey, what's your price for a new Cricket .22lr rifle?"

Me: (Quotes him a price $25 over dealer wholesale with shipping.)

Some guy: "You're a F______ piece of s___ scammer! I can buy that at Wal-Mart for....."

-----

(At a gun show; I've got a Colt Official Police .38 special out for $174.95. It's not perfect, figure 90% but totally functional with good grips and with its original box.)

Some guy: "Can I see that pistol?"

(I hand it to him. He screws around with it and drops it on the floor. Quickly picking it up without any apology whatsoever, he begins to speak.....)

Some guy: Very nice. What's your bottom dollar?"

Me: "You're looking at it if you're paying with cash."

Some guy: "I want to pay with Visa."

Me: "Add 3% and it's yours."

Some guy: (agitated) "I want you to cover tax and sell it for $150 on Visa."

Me: "No."

Some guy: (annoyed) "But I could have bought this same gun for that price elsewhere!"

Me: "Well, why didn't you?"

(The guy tosses the pistol back to me and storms off in a huff.)

-----

There are others, but my blood boils just thinking about them.

Mike

scootergmc
12-16-2006, 2:53 PM
+1. You beat me to it. For every blacklisted gunshop there should be 1,000 blacklisted customers.

m2hbvic
12-16-2006, 2:59 PM
Damn, that pretty much covers all the nightmare customers that I've run into and that I've had to stand at the counter and wait for them to either die or to STFU so that the poor person behind the counter could help me and all the other customers that are standing there waiting!

These nightmare customers always seem to either have 10 million stupid questions to ask,..............or else they've got 10 million stupid "this ain't no *****" or "there I was" stories to tell,..........while I'm waiting to do a DROS or make a payment!

Then there's the "know-it-alls" who like to ask the counter guy a bunch of questions and then argue with them about what's the correct answer!

Then,...............there's the ...........' old ***** guys, who are retired and can't hear a ......' thing from decades of shooting without any hearing protection, who have absolutely nothing to do all day/every day except to hang around the local gun shop and ask stupid questions and tell stupid stories.
Vic

mscales5
12-16-2006, 3:03 PM
Man, I have had a few at guns shows but the worst was in Fresno. He kept telling me how I was going to do it and what he was going to do. I won't pay that and I won't do this. Only thing I say is after finally getting his money I got to take him over to Fresno Firearms for the transfer. I guees not may people in Fresno like to deal with them because I have had customer drive down to Bakersfield to pick up their guns instead of using them. I still have a good number of Fresno customer that call and then come see me.

Another bad customer (?) bought a Parazzi from another dealer at a gun show in Bakersfield. I handled the local transfer. The shotgun was checked out at the show by both of us, the buyer was a woman, and everything was OK. When she came to pick up the Parazzi she accused me of taking things out and putting different things in. The items were a cleaning cloth, empty choke tube tubes and, get this, snap caps. She became so irate that I told her to leave and I was cancelling the sale because she was unstable. I had no reason to take or replace anything in that case and I would not have given her any snap caps, they are not cheap and cost me money. After hearing that she quieted down and appologiezed and decided to take her shot gun. I mean, she was complaining about a rag, empty choke holders and getting snap caps. None of whichI put into her case.

For those that have gone to the Central Coast Gun Show in Fresno, Pasa Robles, Santa Maria, Bakersfield, Lancaster and Victorville or San Bernadino, We were the ones that always wore the Hawiian shirts and had our tables raised up higher so you didn't have to bend over to see the guns. Also, I am the one that bought out Frank Freitas from Fresno before he died of cancer in 2001. I ended up with his $250K inventory.

Stanze
12-16-2006, 3:16 PM
People who order a curio and relic and complain when it shows up,...are you ready for this? Reliced.:rolleyes:

VeryCoolCat
12-16-2006, 3:19 PM
In each of those cases the situation could of been handled very differently... which shows you are quite possibly the bad gun store employees which we have horror stories about.

You know, like the cheapskates who nickel and dime clerks to death, the jerks who look at the price tag and then ask “what’s your best price?“

Just tell em the price is on the tag and you can't change that... or say I only give discounts if you spend a certain ammount. Like into the thousands.

come in with no intention of spending any money but handle every gun in the store, come in to check out the inventory fully knowing they will be buying it online for less, come in to talk to employees cause they have some time to kill and nowhere else to go, come in with no intention of spending money, or more likely no money to spend

Thats just like every other store out there. Electronic stores even Furniture stores.

(Phone rings)

Some guy: "Hey, what's your price for a new Cricket .22lr rifle?"

Me: (Quotes him a price $25 over dealer wholesale with shipping.)

Some guy: "You're a F______ piece of s___ scammer! I can buy that at Wal-Mart for....."

You've never worked a customer service job before I can see. Keep your cool and tell em "oh well" so they get pissed off even more.

On the issue where the guy brings in the Illegal SBR AR... ALL YOU HAD TO SAY WAS "This Weapon if not registered is HIGHLY illegal and even bringing it in here it is my job to call the police... I can't take it otherwise I would have to enter that into the system and the system would immediately inform the police and they'd be here in 30 seconds flat.

Hell for all you know that isn't even an employee thats probably an ATF agent trying to get the drop on you.

THE FACT IS... in every buisness there are their pain in the *** customers ... even in the jewelry industry I get customers who wish to argue price or facts. You don't go to their level... you stay above theirs and keep your cool.

The FACT that you decide to go balistic or be unhelpful just because 1 out of every 50 customers sucks does nothing but hurt your own buisness and reputation.

"Oh but you don't understand they are being *******s" I don't give a ****! You need to understand you are providing a service and you have 3 choices.

(1) Do it Properly and Calmly even if the customer is an annoying pain.
(2) Get mad at "him" then he and his friends will not visit your buisness.
(3) Decline to do any buisness with said person properly and respectfully.

I won't lie, I've read several posts on this board to know that there are some people who have NEVER worked in sales before and have no idea what it means to do so. That doesn't excuse you're very rude behavior.

Why is it some gun shops are "nicer" than others despite all odds? IS everything EASIER for them? NO! do these "idiot" customers not shop there? HELL NO! They get the same customers you do yet they are able to do their buisness properly and courteously. Thats what makes them a GOOD shop.

*end rant*

mscales5
12-16-2006, 3:25 PM
or
guy calls on the phone

guy: how much is a s&w 357 worth

me: which smith

guy: a 357 magnum

me: do you know the model #

guy: no i'm trying to buy it off line and was checking to see if it was a good price

WOW, I forgot all about those calls. Happens all to often. I am glad I don't really deal in used firearms.

How about this call;

Me: Hello?
Caller: Do you have a magazine for a 9mil?
Me: What brand?
Caller: Winchester.
Me: No, the make, manufacturer?
Caller: That is the maker.
Me: Winchester made the firearm?
Caller: no the bullets.
Me: No, who made the firearm?
Caller: Oh, I don't know.
Me: Look on the sides of the gun and tell me the name.
Caller: I don't have the gun, it is for my sister....
Me: Sorry, I don't have one in stock. Thanks for calling me though. (click.)

VeryCoolCat
12-16-2006, 3:26 PM
WOW, I forgot all about those calls. Happens all to often. I am glad I don't really deal in used firearms.

How about this call;

Me: Hello?
Caller: Do you have a magazine for a 9mil?
Me: What brand?
Caller: Winchester.
Me: No, the make, manufacturer?
Caller: That is the maker.
Me: Winchester made the firearm?
Caller: no the bullets.
Me: No, who made the firearm?
Caller: Oh, I don't know.
Me: Look on the sides of the gun and tell me the name.
Caller: I don't have the gun, it is for my sister....
Me: Sorry, I don't have one in stock. Thanks for calling me though. (click.)

Again... I get that too in my area of work... Someone once called me up and asked how much a 3ct ruby was. And they expected me to know clarity, color, cut, and country of origin. I didn't get mad... i tried to help him... and later on instead he bought stuff from us.

JeepRescueService14
12-16-2006, 3:37 PM
Honestly, I dont know what the problem with some gun store owners and employees. Usually they're a gun guy just like me and want to help me to get what I want and to be happy. Some other gun stores, the clerks are elitist A-holes who would be better off being cheap used car salesmen. They act like they're doing me a favor by stocking the guns for me to look at.

This is a capitalist market. If I am going to pay more for a gun at a store that I could get cheaper online I had better get damn good customer service.

bonjing
12-16-2006, 3:49 PM
Again... I get that too in my area of work... Someone once called me up and asked how much a 3ct ruby was. And they expected me to know clarity, color, cut, and country of origin. I didn't get mad... i tried to help him... and later on instead he bought stuff from us.

well in mscales5 scenario, to me it sounds more like a "red flag" going up versus bad customer service.

paradox
12-16-2006, 3:58 PM
well in mscales5 scenario, to me it sounds more like a "red flag" going up versus bad customer service.

Or the guy really was trying to buy mags for his sister. My family can't be the only one to give gun parts for Christmas...

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-16-2006, 4:04 PM
I was in the SJGE with my friend buying some ammo (no time to wait for shipping, had to fire my Mauser NOW, lol) and some guy went in there, all scruffy looking and whatnot. Guy said he needed a "long range rifle". He had an accent like Mr. Garrison from South Park, but a little deeper of a voice. So anyways, Mike the old guy shows him the AR they had on the table on the left side. The guy said he was going to go "pig huntin', mmkay". Mike told him that's a target rifle, not a hunting rifle. Etc etc etc.

When I got back in my truck I started laughing about it with my bud. "Yeah..I'm goin'...people huntin' mmkay".

bonjing
12-16-2006, 4:07 PM
wish my family gave gun parts for Christmas. :(

xenophobe
12-16-2006, 4:32 PM
Without covering everything else already mentioned, which I have seen a lot.... some personal pet peeves:

Guy comes into the store... Asks if we have suchnsuch oddball wierd thing... Left handed bolt .257 Roberts, French pinfire, or whatever... "Yup, I've got one... want to see it?" customer "No".

-----

Having to explain how a Big5 870 is different from a Wingmaster.

-----
Customer Quotes:

"I'll buy that... can you hold it for a day?" customer never returns...

"I need to run to the bank, I'll be right back..." 50/50 if the customer returns...

"So you're saying the gun is $500, the tax is $41.25, DROS is $35, HSC is $25, I'll buy it for $450 out the door?"

----

Of course you gotta love those customers that either point the gun back at you, give it to a girlfriend and they point it at everyone, or the guy grabs the gun, puts it in his pants or waistband to "try it on". :rolleyes:

-----

Or the customer who comes in and asks tons of questions for an hour or two, handles a lot of guns, then buys the gun online and comes and tells us how he saved $20. Or the funniest part, when the FFL transfer and dros fees added to the price of the gun and shipping ends up being more than we could have sold the same gun to him for (and I'll do that too... calculate how much they saved by buying online, telling him what our price could have been and that our 1 year parts and labor guarantee does not apply to online purchases, or tell them that we won't handle their problems or defects since they didn't buy the gun from us...)

-----

Comes in with no intention to buy, and asks for price quotes for more than two or three firearms, several of which you can't get unless you call a distributor...

-----

Or the worst thing you can do at a gun shop... when a customer is wanting to sell or consign a gun to a dealer, and joe blow steps in between the transaction making offers.

-------

Or the guy who tells you they've committed a felony or that 'they were denied a firearm purchase before' after you've written them up and started paperwork...

I could go on for days...

xenophobe
12-16-2006, 4:40 PM
Then,...............there's the ..........old ***** guys, who are retired and can't hear ............ thing from decades of shooting without any hearing protection, who have absolutely nothing to do all day/every day except to hang around the local gun shop and ask stupid question and tell stupid stories.
Vic

I like those old guys... they have some pretty interesting life experiences and some good stories from time to time.

phish
12-16-2006, 4:41 PM
I've witnessed all of the above mentioned scenarios in the background at one time or another.

more of my favorites:

home boyz try various pistols doing the Tupac hold to find out which one feels better

I was browing around TM years ago and some chairborne kommando follows me around the store trying to be my concierge, offering his "expert" advice on everything I was looking at, very annoying.

scootergmc
12-16-2006, 4:50 PM
In each of those cases the situation could of been handled very differently... which shows you are quite possibly the bad gun store employees which we have horror stories about.

Just tell em the price is on the tag and you can't change that... or say I only give discounts if you spend a certain ammount. Like into the thousands.

Thats just like every other store out there. Electronic stores even Furniture stores.

You've never worked a customer service job before I can see. Keep your cool and tell em "oh well" so they get pissed off even more.

On the issue where the guy brings in the Illegal SBR AR... ALL YOU HAD TO SAY WAS "This Weapon if not registered is HIGHLY illegal and even bringing it in here it is my job to call the police... I can't take it otherwise I would have to enter that into the system and the system would immediately inform the police and they'd be here in 30 seconds flat.

Hell for all you know that isn't even an employee thats probably an ATF agent trying to get the drop on you.

THE FACT IS... in every buisness there are their pain in the *** customers ... even in the jewelry industry I get customers who wish to argue price or facts. You don't go to their level... you stay above theirs and keep your cool.

The FACT that you decide to go balistic or be unhelpful just because 1 out of every 50 customers sucks does nothing but hurt your own buisness and reputation.

"Oh but you don't understand they are being *******s" I don't give a ****! You need to understand you are providing a service and you have 3 choices.

I won't lie, I've read several posts on this board to know that there are some people who have NEVER worked in sales before and have no idea what it means to do so. That doesn't excuse you're very rude behavior.

Why is it some gun shops are "nicer" than others despite all odds? IS everything EASIER for them? NO! do these "idiot" customers not shop there? HELL NO! They get the same customers you do yet they are able to do their buisness properly and courteously. Thats what makes them a GOOD shop.

*end rant*

Ahh, pipe down. Go back to your own thread... :p

DB2
12-16-2006, 4:51 PM
All this finger pointing to who is bad goes both ways.

Are there bad customers? Yes there are. Are there difficult gun store owners? Yes there are. But if I got in the habit of expecting every customer that walk in my door or called on the phone to be a moron and treated them as such, I would not be in business.

I own a glass shop we do everything that has to do with glass replacement. We advertise in 3 phone books everything we do. And are a 20 year established business.

Every morning I get this call.....................

Me:Good morning ----- Glass, how may I help you?
Them: Uh ya do you sell glass?
Me:Yes sir we do.What do you need?

Now if I answered him back, no we sell camels. I'm pretty sure he would hang up and I would not be get his job and not make any money.

Now when I walk in Gun Shop and ask, Do you guys have a new S&W 686 .357with 4" barrel? And I get a no, as he turns and walks away.Then I ask if they could order one, and I get we could but it would take a while, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.Wow I think someone is having a bad day.

Next time I walk in the shop, I ask. Would you guys know of anyone looking to sell a Colt Double Eagle, I know there not on the approved list, but if you could help me find a pp, I would be WILLING to pay for the help, and I get spoken to like a dog that just messed on the floor. I will not be going back and I will let everyone know exactly what I think of that particular establishment.

Customer service is key in a business. But you can cut your loss with that bad customer in a more tackfull way then get the **** out of my store.

You will never get rid of the people that always want that deal. But as long as you are somewhat polite yet firm on your stance, it seems to work out in the end. Not always, but mostly.

I need to learn to type faster.:D

eckerph
12-16-2006, 4:58 PM
Stupid people are stupid people, think these things dont happen at wal-mart or Target everyday? Trust me they do, my wife has alot of storys about people during her time at Target, and my mom works for what use to be WebMD and sells computer systems and software too A**doctors, she will put a weeks worth of work into sales proposal just too have the Doctors b*tch and complain or call her on the day of and tell her "nevermind'were broke". But you still have to treat the customer as a customer and the customer is always right, and make sure to tell them that with a smile, its called doing business and if you dont like it, do somthing else.

toolman9000
12-16-2006, 5:26 PM
One of my top ten customers:
---
Customer: "I need bullets"

Me: "What caliber are you looking for?"

Customer: "For my gun"

Me: "What kind of firearm do you have", "Is it a pistol or a revolver?"

Customer: "It's a blue gun"

Me: "Sorry we are out of bullets for blue guns"

---

Yeah, I really don't like the "know it all" customers I had one come in and started talking to a customer that I have been working with for thirty minutes or more moving him down the counter from a Sig or HK to a Smith Sigma Series.("cause it's just like a glock")... good grief.

---

Once I had a russian mobster come in with a loaded Beretta .25 asking me where the safety was. "red dot, no red dot, see?" I unloaded the pistol including the magazine and told him not to walk around with loaded guns. - this guy was right off the mob express. very interesting.

---

there are so many... the worst is on gun show days they come to the store after the show and want to touch everything since they got all hot and bothered at the show - they never buy, just want to fondle; and they exclaim how the prices are not as good. "At the show I could of gotten this $10 cheaper", "You could get a case of that ammo for $---, I saw this and that..."

crap!

prebans
12-16-2006, 5:27 PM

*end rant*

Actually, my last job prior to this was working in a call center doing customer service. I'm well familiar with various methods of customer service:

A. "The Customer is Always Right"
B. "The Customer is Always Wrong"
C. Middle ground.

I used to be a total A person. Then I started getting burned out- bad. Thankfully I avoided B and moved to option C. Here are some things to consider it turn:

1. The man dropped my gun and damaged it. Aside from not even offering an apology, he then tries to badger me into discounting the price AND not recovering the extra money I'm charged for use of a credit card. That's not right on multiple levels and I will not be a door mat for such a bully. That Colt cost me $100 for the gun, $25 for a replacement hammer (original was broken), and two hours of time for gunsmithing and cleaning. In light of that, I wanted to make a 50.00 profit. That's a $50 profit for two hours worth of work plus table space (I could have put something else in the space of that Colt)... This guy not only drops the gun (damaging it) and is rude, but then he wants me to drop my price to $150 AND eat the 3% (4.50), giving me a profit of $20.50 ($50-$25-$4.50) for two hours of work plus table space. Umm... No.

2. It's one thing for a fellow to be ignorant of the law; this happens a lot. (If nothing else, I think we can agree that gun laws can be confusing.) However, his responses in light of my responses AND him constantly looking around AND wanting me to touch the gun (and get my fingerprints on it) AND physically dropping it on my table, I was very concerned that this was an ATF sting. An illegal SBR means 10 years in prison, $250,000 worth of fines, losing my FFL (my livelihood!), and becoming a felon (losing my favorite hobby, my livelihood, and voting rights). Then he swears at me when I tell him to get it out of the area and swears more when I repeatedly ask him to leave. (I'll also remind you that he even admitted his gun is illegal; a good way to avoid the "this is entrapment!" defense in court.) This whole situation is unacceptable.

Speaking to your options:

If one is being paid, annoyance can be overlooked. I actually do this quite a bit for folks new to our sport and/or for paying customers. However, damaging any store keeper's merchandise and then badgering them to lower their prices ensures that nothing gets overlooked.

Time and aggravation versus profit. If I anger someone who is rude, damages my goods without even an apology, and then they try to take me down on price, I DO hope they NEVER come back. Frankly, if their friends are anything like they are, I hope I never see them either! (Perhaps less of my guns will be damaged and I'll be able to spend time with clients who don't break stuff-- or at least aren't rude to me in the process.)

If the fellow who damaged my gun immedately apologized - even if he never bought the gun and left me with damaged merchandise - I would have given him some more rope. I like to think that I'm a reasonable fellow; don't swear at me, don't break my merchandise (and if you do, a simple verbal apology would be nice), and if I ask someone to please remove a gun from the area- then do so. In turn, I offer the same- I won't swear at you, I won't break your stuff (if I do, I will buy it at your asking price), and I'll be happy to remove myself or anything under my control if it offends you or runs counter to local law or custom.

That's only right. I don't think it's much to ask, but for those who it IS too much-- they can go elsewhere.

Oddly enough, this has actually been an excellent business move. My profit levels have risen while my aggravation levels have fallen since I went from option A to option C.

I will agree that many of the examples of FFLs cited throughout this board (cancelling a transfer, requiring someone to have a certificate to touch a gun, overcharging.) are ridiculous, capricious, and downright horrible. It amazes me that the FFLs described are still in business! However, while I understand your rant (using the word you used to describe your post at its end), I disagree with you in light of the examples that I presented.

Respectfully,

Mike

CALI-gula
12-16-2006, 5:30 PM
As I relayed elsewhere....

I was in a store where the customer lacked the knowledge of why an Ed Brown 1911 was so much higher priced than a basic Charles Daly 1911 at a competing dealer, so he thought it a rip-off because the dealer with the Ed Brown only offered a basic S&W 1911 as their lowest priced option, thinking that dealer's prices were crap - actually, all prices were exceptional. Visually he didn't see a difference. He got belligerent and loud, proclaiming their prices sucked, but it was all due to his own ignorance.

I was picking up my SU-16CA at Rettings in Culver City, and this whacky, seemingly deranged fat woman is walking around the store, talking very loudly, asking a lot of dumb questions out loud of staff while they were helping other people. It is clear she is not a gun-person but rather someone bored that simply walked in off the street. Not a homeless person, but likely low-end of society. I am paying final money due, and 2nd signing the 4473, and from across the other side of the store's counter, she just LOUDLY blurts out at me "Hey, is that an AK47?" Giving the salesman a break to finish things, I answer "No.". Her reply, "Oh, what's it then, a 12 Guage" and I say "Yes". She seemed proud to have guessed correctly. (Saying "No" would have solicited yet another dumb question). She was happy being right in her inquiry and moved on to bother other people. Her next blurting questions followed like this; "How do I get one of those" (referring to no specific handgun in the case). A quick reply from a guy that was doing store duties, noting HSC, Safety test, 4473/DROS forms, 10 day wait, etc., all the while she had a puzzled look on her face, rolled her eyes in an exaggerated manner, then walked over and next picked up a cheap $14.95 machete made in China and loudly asked "Could you kill someone with this, cause I don't have enough money for one of those guns!". Not in a joking manner, more at, "would this work?". No response, she then meandered. Walking over to the knife case, loudly squealed "Oooohh look at that pretty blue one, I gots to get me one of those - nevermind, it's almost as much as one o' them guns!". She then grabs one of the boxes of ammo off the counter, quickly opens it, pulls out a round, and says loudly "what kind o' gun does this bullet fit"? The salesman stops while helping another customer to simply ask her to not open the boxes, she hands the cartridge and the box to him, walks all around the store bumping her big butt into other customers then leaves without buying a thing. They were more than courteous and patient with her crazy psychotic episode, when they should have easily tore into her.

I was in Turner's Pasadena years ago, where this older guy, about 60, went crazy on THEM about the then BFSC card issue, he didn't have one but had no credentials to show he didn't need one, they explained it politely, and that they could not sell him a handgun without it. They explained the process to get one, and that they could do it, but he took it out on them saying he had never heard of such a thing and that they were making it all up just to get more money from him. They were very polite with him, answered all his questions, and just stood stunned when in the middle of a busy Saturday, he started this one-man shouting match showing his ignorance.

Last but not least, I was in Bain & Davis one day and there was a guy complaining about the price of an "old, nasty looking gun that looked like military surplus" that he was looking at, but that was nowhere near as nice as the "shiny nice gun over there". I guess he didn't know the price when he asked to see it, thinking it was a cheap gun. He couldn't accept the answer and detailed patient explanation he was given by the salesman. This guy was serious, not joking. He hands this "old nasty" gun back to the salesman and loudly says something about "better prices at Turners and they don't try to give you a cockamamie story about rarity or collectability" and the guy storms out. The salesman (Emmett -no longer there) was very polite the whole time. The "shiny nice gun" was a Berreta 92 or such, and the "old nasty looking gun" was a mint condition SIG P210-6. I couldn't wait for the jackass to leave so I could put a deposit on it. :D

SmokinGun
12-16-2006, 5:35 PM
This thread is hilarious...no wonder internet sales are booming. In general, I find that good customer service is a thing of the past. However, the guys that still know what that means have been recognised in the Good Guy Gunshop thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44205

Kudos the the "Good Guys":D LOL

xenophobe
12-16-2006, 5:40 PM
I feel kind of sorry when some relatives want to come in with a few antique guns they want to sell, thinking they're worth a lot of money... They bring in a Glenfield .22, H&R Topper shotgun, and a Rohm, all rusty and broken.

Or the guys who have something nice, but 'research' the price online, thinking their rust-pitted and refinished 1892 Winchester is worth $10,000.

Or the numnuts who decide to 'clean' their old guns before bringing them in. Seeing an otherwise excellent condition Colt 1851 Navy with perfect scroll come in with the brass highly polished, and the barrel and cylinder cold blued...

CALI-gula
12-16-2006, 5:55 PM
This thread is hilarious...no wonder internet sales are booming. In general, I find that good customer service is a thing of the past. However, the guys that still know what that means have been recognised in the Good Guy Gunshop thread.

Kudos the the "Good Guys":D LOL

Internet sales are booming because the majority of buyers online have good knowledge of firearms to boldly purchase them online, therefore, the sale is simple for the dealer. People without such knowledge will go to the gun store to ask lots of questions and fondle, and may buy nothing - those are becoming secondary sales for many gun stores now. If I'm set on looking for a 1936 S&W Registered Magnum in a 4 inch barrel, I'm shopping online; a lot. However, it is unlikely the average Joe buying his first gun would even know the difference and would likely be happy buying a new Rossi or Taurus in .357. They might not even be able to comprehend the difference.

Therefore, as easy as a sale as a customer like myself will be as an online sale, more shops are moving to online sales, period. Less hassle and a secure, easy, target market is reached by millions as opposed to some bored bloke off the street waiting for his wife at the grocery store. Little to no overhead online posting, minimal investment, detailed photos for anyone to look at in close-up, and the whole deal is often self managed by the buyer.

Between SB15 issues, and the ease of the above, it's the reason why SEVERAL California dealers have recently moved to on-line sales only, and often out-of-state online sales only for SB15 banned guns, even if they are consignment items. It's sad, but more and more, I am seeing "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA" from California dealers, and much of it has to do with hassles of consignment to fit in the context of SB15 and the extraneous paperwork requirements of CA. An online sale removes a lot of those hoops and hurdles, to make a sale outside of CA more lucrative in time/money.

SmokinGun
12-16-2006, 6:13 PM
True, but this still doesn't address the issue about good customer service. Let's assume that you or I are the dumb**** customer that goes into the shop for the first-time buy and we ask a lot of questions, handle the merchandise, blah, blah, blah. Do you buy from the guy that treats you like crap cause you're a dumb****, or do you buy from the guy who takes a couple minutes (or an hour) of his valuable time to educate you. The guy who takes the time to talk to the dumb**** will get the repeat sales and the dumb**** will help him pay his bills. The guy who treats the dumb**** like crap gets nothing. Yeah, the dumb**** will eventually get educated and venture off to the internet, but I can gaurantee that the dumb**** will also go back and buy something from the guy who gave hime the time of day. The moral of the story is good customer service (as painful as it is) will get you repeat sales.

Internet sales are booming because the majority of buyers online have good knowledge of firearms to boldly purchase them online, therefore, the sale is simple for the dealer. People without such knowledge will go to the gun store to ask lots of questions and fondle, and may buy nothing - those are becoming secondary sales for many gun stores now. If I'm set on looking for a 1936 S&W Registered Magnum in a 4 inch barrel, I'm shopping online; a lot. However, it is unlikely the average Joe buying his first gun would even know the difference and would likely be happy buying a new Rossi or Taurus in .357. They might not even be able to comprehend the difference.

Therefore, as easy as a sale as a customer like myself will be as an online sale, more shops are moving to online sales, period. Less hassle and a secure, easy, target market is reached by millions as opposed to some bored bloke off the street waiting for his wife at the grocery store. Little to no overhead online posting, minimal investment, detailed photos for anyone to look at in close-up, and the whole deal is often self managed by the buyer.

Between SB15 issues, and the ease of the above, it's the reason why SEVERAL California dealers have recently moved to on-line sales only, and often out-of-state online sales only for SB15 banned guns, even if they are consignment items. It's sad, but more and more, I am seeing "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA" from California dealers, and much of it has to do with hassles of consignment to fit in the context of SB15 and the extraneous paperwork requirements of CA. An online sale removes a lot of those hoops and hurdles, to make a sale outside of CA more lucrative in time/money.

CALI-gula
12-16-2006, 6:30 PM
True, but this still doesn't address the issue about good customer service. Let's assume that you or I are the dumb**** customer that goes into the shop for the first-time buy and we ask a lot of questions, handle the merchandise, blah, blah, blah. Do you buy from the guy that treats you like crap cause you're a dumb****, or do you buy from the guy who takes a couple minutes (or an hour) of his valuable time to educate you. The guy who takes the time to talk to the dumb**** will get the repeat sales and the dumb**** will help him pay his bills. The guy who treats the dumb**** like crap gets nothing. Yeah, the dumb**** will eventually get educated and venture off to the internet, but I can gaurantee that the dumb**** will also go back and buy something from the guy who gave hime the time of day. The moral of the story is good customer service (as painful as it is) will get you repeat sales.

Yes, it might be tough for me to ascertain. I've been collecting guns for over 20 years - worked at a relative’s gun store as early as age 14 until it closed it 2 years later (in another state, in the "old days" where nobody would care). I have never had trouble with ANY dealer in 14 years of buying guns here in CA, and I am a frequent weekly customer, frequenting many shops around the state. I have dealt in person with dealers as far North as Colfax and Penryn, as well as far south as San Diego. I never even had any trouble with old B&B of North Hollywood, where I bought many items over the years, but many people shared repeated anecdotes of serious horror stories about customer service; I never had a single incident, but I am a polite customer. There is a general loss of manners in our current society, but I find gun stores are one of the few places that still retain the old manner system.

Much can be said about customer politeness and manners too. My personal stories as a customer noted above are great examples. All cases involved polite handling and good customer service, but outrageous customers. And except for my brief clerk/stocker job at our short-lived store of a relative at 14, I am not a dealer, nor have been one at any time.

However, I see how internet sales are more lucrative and is merely my explanation for the increase, not taking the route as you had implied that it is due to bad customer service at stores. Keep in mind, it is still the dealers that are often posting sales online, and you may still need to use a local dealer for the transfer. Internet sales will still require good customer service, as the logged feedback on sites like Gunbroker will often mandate.

Online or in the store, customer service and customer politness are an even scale, and both are still required for a deal to work.

SmokinGun
12-16-2006, 6:54 PM
There is a general loss of manners in our current society

I will give you that Sir....it does go both ways and it does pay to be polite and corteous, whether you are the customer or the storekeeper.

M. Sage
12-16-2006, 7:24 PM
Man, I went into City Arms today just to have a look around. I'm not big on doing that in pretty much any small store, no matter what they're selling, when I'm not planning on buying that same trip. In this case, I'm not planning on buying anything until after the holidays, and I made sure to tell 'em.

I don't wanna be "one of those" customers.

jrhglock99
12-17-2006, 12:09 AM
+1. You beat me to it. For every blacklisted gunshop there should be 1,000 blacklisted customers.

Isn't that the truth. I'm tired of the can you do better on the price. If they had their own shop they would hate that. People need to remember that we are in the business to make money. We have bills to pay just like every one else and most of us do not drive fancy cars or live in big fancy houses like most of these cheap customers we have to deal with multiple times a day. Yeah we can get grumpy just like every one else. And if you need help and no one has helped you, do you not know how to ask for help? Most customers do not want to be bugged, they just like to browse which is fine so we just let them be.

rkt88edmo
12-17-2006, 7:37 AM
We need some links to some good SteyrAug stories on arfcom.

Satex
12-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Excellent thread, very amusing!
In my mind, this threat should be a lesson to gun business owners. The issue they have is similar to many other modern businesses. They try to sell products with ZERO differentiation. The pistol/rifle/parts sold in one shop are exactly the same as sold in the others.

Given that gun store owners don't add any value to the product why should we the customers not shop for the best price? I work hard for my $ and the more bang per buck, the better off I am. In my line of business, corporations and government do the exact same thing to us!

Now, if gun shops were smart about it, they would have educated professional sales people. One thing I run into often, are sales people who tell me that any gun I am looking at is "great". You can just see the begging look in their eyes saying "just buy it please, I want my commission". If I wanted to hear about how “great” a firearms is, I would go to the manufacturer’s web page where they pontificate orgazmically about their products. When I walk into a shop, I want to hear a professional opinion about what issues and disadvantages this product has. I want to hear about how often the shop hears about issues and how those are resolved. That is added value that I am willing to pay for.

So it boils down to customer service. If I walk in and get a salesperson that knows what he is talking about and is patient, most likely that I will buy it, because I am willing to pay a small premium for good customer service.

Keep those stories coming, I love them!

xenophobe
12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Given that gun store owners don't add any value to the product why should we the customers not shop for the best price?

That's not necessarily true. Everything that was sold at SJGE had a one year parts and labor warranty. Guess that doesn't matter any more.

rkt88edmo
12-17-2006, 10:57 AM
So it boils down to customer service. If I walk in and get a salesperson that knows what he is talking about and is patient, most likely that I will buy it, because I am willing to pay a small premium for good customer service.

So how much would you be willing to pay for the best customer service at a gunstore you have ever experienced when shopping for a run of the mill glock 17? 600? 650? 675?

Industries that pay their sales people enough to get that kind of service generally have a much bigger margin per product to begin with.

triggerhappy
12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, there seem to be more wretched customers than businesses, so the stories could go on forever. I deal with the public myself, and it always seems that just when I get to liking humanity again, some jackass comes along and reminds me of why I like to hide in the closet...

www.customerssuck.com

mscales5
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Absolutely a RED FLAG. The gun is probably stolen or he would be familiar with the make and model. A lot of people don't keep a magazine in the gun when being stored and if it is your gun you know where the mag is. I do get calls from people who have had a gun stolen but the mag was not with the gun so they ask me to be on the lookout for someone buying a magazine for their make and model or trying to sell a gun with no mag.

Dont Tread on Me
12-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I've worked in retail and I now work partime at a public range so I know first hand how difficult people can be and how very difficult gun folks can be. I'm with VeryCoolCat on this. There are customers that are a pain in the rear. The problem is when that colors your treatment of all customers.

I hit the same bad service over and over and I hope that relaying some experience here might help.

* I walk into a store and it takes an age to get someone to stop chatting and come to me.

* The staff attiude is rude/abrupt/surperior.

* I get attitude because I want to compare two models side by side to see if the air weight option is worth it.

* If I order something and it takes longer than promised calling to check on progress is a major pain. When I find the order did not get placed for 10 days after I paid but I kept getting told "it will be here tomorrow" it makes me wonder.

* I show up to pickup a gun and you've lost the copies of my utility bills. Now I have to drive 80 mins through rush hour traffic to get them. No apology given.

* I come in to pick up my gun and ask that you let me check the serial number and that the gun is unloaded before signing for it and leaving the store. You remark "yea we load guns and swap them all the time"

I've found the stores that have good customer service and I only shop there. Reed's Indoor range and Targetmasters are that for me. This year I bought an AR upper, a SU16, a M1A, and two Glocks. This is what I really like about living in this great free market economy. I can spend my $$ where like and I can post my honest experiances on-line.

Have a friend walk into your own store and experiance your staff and report back what he/she encountered.

mscales5
12-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Or the guy really was trying to buy mags for his sister. My family can't be the only one to give gun parts for Christmas...

This was NOT at a time for Christmas and it has happened several times. From the speach patterns and words used this was most likely someone I would not sell a firearm to anyway. Like a certain type askeing for what the cheapest FO-FIVE I have in stock...

One gun show a few years ago I had 2 "young men" looking at hand guns. They just started picking them up despite the "Please ask"" and "You MUST be 21 to handle hand guns and 18 for long guns" signs. They just id not look old enough and I found out they weren't. They also wore colors and talked like gang mmebers. I told them they had to be 21 to buy a hand gun and take the HSC test. They left the building and came back about a hour late with their mother. They came to the table and told her which one THEY wanted. I did not sell the gun. For some of us it is not all about the money or selling guns. If the situation is not right then I pass on it.

Satex
12-17-2006, 12:00 PM
That's not necessarily true. Everything that was sold at SJGE had a one year parts and labor warranty. Guess that doesn't matter any more.

The that is value added. The question is if customers want that, and if they don't then you are correct and it doesnt matter...

Fjold
12-17-2006, 12:26 PM
On the net'

Davidson's (Galleryofguns.com) has a lifetime guaranty on all guns purchased there.

xenophobe
12-17-2006, 12:40 PM
The that is value added. The question is if customers want that, and if they don't then you are correct and it doesnt matter...

Well, when you're buying a used or consignment gun, yes, most people who ask are happy about it, and you don't have to ask for it to get it. It's not anything that has a quantifiable cost associated with it though, so it's just a 'perk' of buying from that shop, so long as they can honor the warranty. And yes, the shop has done a bunch of warranty work over the years.

Mr.RoDiN
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM

*end rant*

I agree with you a hundred percent. I work retail as well. I work in the jewelry buisness. Do you know how often I get customers with no intensions of buying? Its more than 80% of my walk in customers.(I work in the jewelry district in Los Angeles) I have never been rude or disrespectful to any of them. The things they say can be very rude. I design my own jewelry. Infact, everything in my store is pretty much custom made. I know not everyone is going to like my designs, but you should hear them. "OH I don't like that, its ugly!" Its not like its a product, coming from a company. If I was a gun store owner, I woulnd't care if someone told me they thought all SIgs are ugly. But still, some gun stores have these Holier than though attitude.

CWatson
12-17-2006, 1:36 PM
I thought since we have a good and bad gun store list, we start a list of the worst gun store customers.

-and wants you to put it on one DROS to save him ten bucks.

Sounds like another post from LAGUNS. Why the new screen name?

JeepRescueService14
12-17-2006, 2:15 PM
'Cause theyre sneaky.

bonjing
12-17-2006, 2:20 PM
I agree with you guys are saying about customer service, be helpful and be polite. I have no problems when a person comes in admits to not knowing diddly about guns and wants a little help, or the person that comes in and says hey i'm having a few problems with this can you guys help me out, or even i just bought this new and don't know how to clean it.

maybe you caught that particular employee having a bad, give him/her break.

you can only say "excuse me please don't point that firearm at me" once before you start getting a little pissed off. i know a few can relate to that. or the one customer that comes in asking for "hollow tips" and looks at you with a serious look on their face and says "dis heer is some real cop killa'z huh" can you relate to that? i'm sure this one will throw a big wrench in someones day, the customer that comes in asks for a little help puts the firearm on the table, after you ask them if you can check the firearm, he grabs the firearm picks it up points it at you finger on the trigger, you ask him again to put the firearm down, they then proceed to clear the chamber and oops didn't know it was still loaded :eek:.

alot of "funny" things happen at gunstores that don't necessarily happen at other retail places, that can put people in a bad mood. I just ask again that maybe you cought the person on the wrong day. if you come back and it still the same crappy attitude then sure by all means be pissed off.

Dont Tread on Me
12-17-2006, 2:34 PM
I"dis heer is some real cop killa'z huh"

My favorite gun store moment came when a group of dirt bags made a request for some cop killin' ammo next to a cop in plain clothing. The cop simply turned and faced the group revealed the badge on his belt then welcomed them to try and kill him there and then. The cop was completely serious and the dirt bags took a while to get it then they freaked and walked out.

It was a fascinating moment in animal hierarchy studies for me.

bonjing
12-17-2006, 2:41 PM
ca_brit_05, I would have loved to see something like that :D

M. Sage
12-17-2006, 4:40 PM
I'd be so amused, I'd probably mess myself. :eek: :D

dwtt
12-17-2006, 8:00 PM

come in to talk to employees cause they have some time to kill and nowhere else to go, come in with no intention of spending money, or more likely no money to spend, so they engage other customers offering up their “expert” advise and maybe kill a sale or two in the process

As a customer I hate these kinds of jerks. One time at Reeds I had to wait until some pudgy middle age guy got through spending 15 minutes talking BS with the sales guy behind the counter and handling several pistols before I was able to ask about a pistol. Then while I was holding the gun in my hands, this arm chair commando starts talking all sort of nonsense "advice". I knew this guy didn't have a life and really needed this sort of human interaction to keep from hearing voices in his head, but why did it have to be with me on that day? Anyway, I just ignore these kinds of people whenever I encounter them. Oh, the guy walked out without buying anything and very likely had no intention of buying.

damon1272
12-17-2006, 8:06 PM
Well reading these posts by some of the dealers here helps to back up my theory that you guys are helping to kill off the shooting and hunting industry as fast as the anti-gunners are. Yes, I understand that there are pain in the *** customers that will nickel and dime you. And yes there are funny stories about people that just waste time hanging around gun shops with no intention of buying. And yes, there are just plain stupid customers that will never get it. But many gun dealers are older grumpy pains in the asses that scare off potential customers and people that may not have much knowledge of guns but express an interest in them. This goes even further when women are interested. Just hang around a gun show or shop and observe how people are treated or just go to a range and see how the newbie’s are treated. The employees usually are rude or at least don't help new shooters. You guys - gun dealers- should be and should act like ambassadors to the industry. You are the guys that are in a position to teach a new person or get them really interested in the shooting sports. There are some shops that do a great job of selling guns and have great customer service. There are many more that do a horrible job and these are the folks that are hurting everyone. Dealer ask yourself – are you hurting or helping?

stator
12-18-2006, 8:05 AM

That was never explained to me when I purchased a H&K there. You guys need to get that out more visibly. Also, I'd recommend organizing the store abit more as I have a hard time finding stuff like scope rings. AR stuff is located in three different areas that I know of.

BTW, what is the scoop on the Ruger with the cracked stock? Wanna cut a deal? :)

BigMac
12-18-2006, 1:15 PM
I try to handle all the "hard" customers with humor. I'm not making enough money to let anyone make me mad.

The coment about yeh we load them and switch them out all the time comment actually sounds like me ;) Not everyone appreciates my humor.

New shooters are very important to the gun business. I treat them accordingly. I spend lots of time with them and even encourage them to come out and shoot.

We have customers that will come and handle every gun in the shop. We know they are not going to spend a dime. When other customers come in we move on to the new customer and juggle the "looker". Eventually the guy that never buys anytyhing sends in a buddy who may or may not spend money.

Crazy people are asked to leave.

I had a customer that asked me if I had a "clip" for his 32. I asked him what kind of .32? He told me it was a .32 automatic. I asked him who manufactured it and he got pissed at me and said I was supposed to be the profesional :rolleyes:

This still beets the hell outa Christmas season working as a head clerk for cost plus. I did that for 3 years. It was my job to let people yell at me rather than yelling at my cashiers. I cant tell you how many times I wanted to reach across the counter and choke someone and just smiled and tried to make them happy.

blacklisted
12-18-2006, 1:46 PM
Can you tell us about some of the crazies you have encountered? I'm sure that you have seen many, being in Fremont and all.

I try to handle all the "hard" customers with humor. I'm not making enough money to let anyone make me mad.

The coment about yeh we load them and switch them out all the time comment actually sounds like me ;) Not everyone appreciates my humor.

New shooters are very important to the gun business. I treat them accordingly. I spend lots of time with them and even encourage them to come out and shoot.

We have customers that will come and handle every gun in the shop. We know they are not going to spend a dime. When other customers come in we move on to the new customer and juggle the "looker". Eventually the guy that never buys anytyhing sends in a buddy who may or may not spend money.

Crazy people are asked to leave.

I had a customer that asked me if I had a "clip" for his 32. I asked him what kind of .32? He told me it was a .32 automatic. I asked him who manufactured it and he got pissed at me and said I was supposed to be the profesional :rolleyes:

This still beets the hell outa Christmas season working as a head clerk for cost plus. I did that for 3 years. It was my job to let people yell at me rather than yelling at my cashiers. I cant tell you how many times I wanted to reach across the counter and choke someone and just smiled and tried to make them happy.

BigMac
12-18-2006, 2:51 PM
One lady came in and bought a .357 revolver. She would not give her phone number to John or Ray out loud. She ended up writing her number down on a piece of paper, hiding it, and calling the guys to tell them where it was after she left.

I cancelled that sale.. A couple days later I got a call from Oakland PD about this same customer. Apparently she was arrested for "going off" at the Oakland Airport and they found her invoice in her purse. The cop was worried her new offence wouldn't show up on the radar soon enough to cancel her sale. I told him about the note and assured him the sale was cancelled.

We recently had a guy come in and announce he had just been released from an "institution"..

A guy came in and put a SS shotgun on "lay away". It was in nice shape so we stored it in a store rug. After the guy took 6 months to pay for the shotgun he came to pick it up. He exploded on the guys because we were not throwing in the rug and were putting it in a cardboard box (which is what guns normally come in). He exclaimed how dissapointed he was and how he was never coming back.

These kind of things never happened in regular retail. You just have to try and smile, and your thankfull that most of your customers are gunnuts like me and a fun to be around.

50 Freak
12-18-2006, 3:04 PM
When I worked at Turners during the LA riots...(gosh that was a long time ago)..:( :(

I hated all those people that came in during the riots and said:

"usually I don't like guns and am only getting this because of the riots...but do you have a automatic M16 (or AK, dependant on the nut of the day) with armor piercing (or explosive bullets)"......
"what do you mean you don't carry automatic M-16....fine give me the AR-15......
Why can't I get armor piercing (or explosive tip bullets).....Fine give me a box of the wolf ammo......
What do you mean I have to wait 16 days......You bunch of F'ers when did this waiting period happen.....
I'll take a shotgun or pistol at least I won't have to wait 16 days......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boy did I have fun with those people.

VeryCoolCat
12-18-2006, 3:20 PM
heh..

I remember someone said the story about how he went to a shop and he asked for ammo and they aske4d "Target ammo or people ammo?"

I once showed my friends my collection picture... only 5 but eh' and they asked me what I used em for.

I told her each gun I own has a different purpose.

This one (mauser) is for animals, This one (tactical shotgun) is for people who might break in, and this one (sks) is for anyone who is wearing a bullet proof vest and I made a big grin :D

I think she took me seriously :D

blacklisted
12-18-2006, 4:27 PM
The only thing I remember hearing as a customer was a guy asking for .223 that could "go through car doors" and another guy asking if "dum dums usually slow down and hit the ground before they get to target because they catch the air." The look on the clerk's face for that last one was hilarious.

stevie
12-18-2006, 4:44 PM
I was at a surplus store one time. A couple of guys (gangbangers) and a girl were at the counter. So the guys leave and the girl asks pointing at some shotguns, "are those the guns that shoot bullets the police can't trace". Needless to say, she was not in the store soon after.

Want some good stories, you should work in a liquor store for awhile.

leelaw
12-18-2006, 4:59 PM
I like the "what's your best price on [such and such] gun? OK.. I can get it cheaper online, how much to transfer? WHAT? You're ripping me off!!" guys. They're comical.

ETA: This happens whenever you mention there is a transfer fee, of any amount, on top of the DROS.

AJAX22
12-18-2006, 6:33 PM
whenever I go into a gunstore I make a point of buying something, it might be a box of ammo, or an extra magazine or even a sling, I just figure that it's only right if you're going to chat for a while. It's one thing to be a customer who likes to hang out and talk politics every now and then, but if you don't open your wallet I feel its kinda rude (and yes there are exceptions). I just feel people would be better received if they didn't walk in and eat employee time without the intention of buying anything.
If they want to buy the gun online, but want to handle store merchandise to figure out which one they're going to buy, its going to be better received if they buy a few mags, some ammo and a holster from the store.

berg
12-18-2006, 7:23 PM
whenever I go into a gunstore I make a point of buying something, it might be a box of ammo, or an extra magazine or even a sling, I just figure that it's only right if you're going to chat for a while. It's one thing to be a customer who likes to hang out and talk politics every now and then, but if you don't open your wallet I feel its kinda rude (and yes there are exceptions). I just feel people would be better received if they didn't walk in and eat employee time without the intention of buying anything.
If they want to buy the gun online, but want to handle store merchandise to figure out which one they're going to buy, its going to be better received if they buy a few mags, some ammo and a holster from the store.

This is great advice and something I practice. In fact, because I buy something (anything) every time I will often get a discount. I am now known as a "good regular customer" not a regular "browser".

Maddog5150
12-18-2006, 8:03 PM
I always do that Ajax. Its great advice to at least spend money at the place your looking for. When I go with some of the guys at work to other gunshops on our days off I always buy something even if its something we stock. My friends will always whisper to me, "you know we get get that at employee price for half that right?" but I like to thank the store for spending time and showing me a firearm that we may not stock or that is on consignment. I also NEVER armchair quarterback in the other stores no matter what because its none of my buisiness what this other gunstore is pushing or why.

I have a crap load of stories to tell but I could write a novel so Ill only put a couple. I had this couple looking for a firearm for women and they told me they didnt want to get anything "cheap". He saw the value of getting a good quality firearm knowing that his wifes life would be depending on it. After deciding they wanted an automatic and they were leaning towards an HK P2000 this other guy pipes up ,"oh you have to see the bersa thunder .380. Its the perfect gun for your wife and its way cheaper. HEY YOU! GO SHOW HIM THE BERSA!" The original gentleman I was speaking with kinda looked at him, saw the look on my face and continued to ask about the HK. The whackjob pipes up again (who was finger F'ing every gun he saw and was taking up time from a fellow employee) "you have to see that bersa! I bought one and Im telling you its the best. I would show that to you." The original man sees the look on my face and chuckles, then asks me about the bersa just to keep the other man calm. After I explained that we no longer stock it, telling him the caliber a little about the gun and NOT degrading the bersa, he continues looking at HKs. I look towards the whackjob and say "we have applications up front if you want." He gets kinda confused and starts going off about how the bersa is the greatest weapon and how if he worked there he would definately show that instead of the crummy HK and I just blow it. I slam my hands against the counter, raise my voice and ask, "HEY! You wanna let me do my job here!? Do you know what these people are asking for in a handgun? Have you been working with them?" At which point he quiets down, apologieses to me and the man I was working with and meanders around not bothering anyone. The original couple take the HCS test and both buy an HK thanking me later for great customer service.

I always hated that because it impedes on buisiness. I never just push the highest selling guns so thats not the reason why I get pissed at it. I remember not to long ago I was with my friend at a motorcycle shop and my friend told someone there "oh you can go over at this other store and get it for cheaper." I chewed him out and told him that he should never mess with someones buisiness like that.

I get customers comming in 5 minutes to close, finger fudge everything and not want to leave after being closed for over thirty minutes.

Ive had gang bangers threaten me. Gang bangers asking if he could try a gun out on me. Esses calling me outside to kick my *** because I asked him not to dry fire the rimfire rifles.

All the time I will give customers advice or tell them whats going on with their problem and they will yell and tell me to get a manager. Manager shows up and tells him the same thing and the guy believes it.

Had an axe wielding maniac in the store once swinging an axe then try to put an M1A on lay-away with three dollars and couldnt comprehend why it wouldnt work out. I wasnt there that night else It would of been more comical.

Had someone threaten to come back and shoot us with an AK47 because he had to wait his turn.

All the time we will be swamped and someone will barge in up to the counter "I have a pick up! help me now!" when there are over ten people waiting to be helped.

Before you go off and assume I am some major dickhead just know that 90% of the time my customers walk away from me smiling and thanking me. I am always curtious, Im alway kind, I always give customers respect. I have customers who will only buy firearms from my store if I am there to help them saying "I used to have a problem with ***** until I came in and talked to you. Thank you!" Once had a customer open his 870 wingmaster and there was a gouge in his stock. He also misunderstood the original salesman and didnt start the 10 wait and his grandson (with him at the time) was hoping to take it that weekend to go shooting for his birthday. After just talking to them and explaining what was going on, I didnt have an excuse for the lack of DROS and the sealed Remington box was not tampered with us AND we didnt have another one in stock, him and his grandson both walked off smiling, laughing knowing they were going to take home a gouged wingmaster home ten days late (gouge wasnt that bad and in a not so noticeable location). Hell, I had a customer show up and give me a gift card today thanking me for great service. I am in no way giving bad customer service but like my old dad used to say "there is always 10% in the world"

xenophobe
12-18-2006, 8:46 PM
Well reading these posts by some of the dealers here helps to back up my theory that you guys are helping to kill off the shooting and hunting industry as fast as the anti-gunners are.

Wow... all I can say is that you must leave a really sheltered life to actually believe what you posted.

It's the average shooting enthusiast that is responsible for saying "I don't need AWs or 50bmgs and I don't care" or go to the range, break every rule and then get pissed off because the rangemaster was being a dick that hurts the industry.

All of the dealers who post here are the better dealers in the state. If you really believe that load of crap that's spewing from your mouth, you should look at yourself and your friends and imagine what you can do to better serve the shooting industry. People are either shooters or they aren't, and gun dealers don't force people who don't like guns to go shooting. It's YOUR responsibility to learn proper marksmanship, it's your responsibility to know that everyone in life isn't going to bend over backwards for you, and that sometimes you gotta tolerate indifference.

You might as well whine about how Home Depot is killing the remodeling industry because their employees are generally contractors or helpers who couldn't hack with real construction, and their lack of helping you do exactly what you want means they're horrible.

Geez. Get a grip.

EDIT: Oh, and those damn Car Dealers and Salesmen are killing the recreational driving industry. :rolleyes:

Dont Tread on Me
12-19-2006, 7:12 AM
Well reading these posts by some of the dealers here helps to back up my theory that you guys are helping to kill off the shooting and hunting industry as fast as the anti-gunners are.

I'm with Damon1272 here. The gun industry is competing for people to spend their entertainment dollars and someone dipping their toe in can be put off by bad experiences. How are they going to vote in the future if their put off of shooting by a bad first store/range experience? Bad gun store service is at the very least amplifying the anti gunners message.

There is clearly some frustration from the customer base here with the quality of service in many stores. I simply will not walk into 2 Bay Area gun stores because I've been treated so badily in them. There is no other retail outlet I have reacted to this way. Walmart comes close maybe but it is not bad enough!

Ok back to my 3 week wait to pickup my new Glock. I was promised the pistol would be in within 2 days.... It looks like they plain forgot to place the order. The store won't let me start the DROS until the gun is in the store.... This is all from what I consider to be one of the best customer oriented gun stores in the Bay Area!

Maddog5150
12-19-2006, 6:21 PM
They CANT start the dros. How are they going to register a pistol to you that they dont know the serial number to? Sucks you have to wait that long but this time of year distributers get backed up like no other. Hope you get it soon.

Dont Tread on Me
12-19-2006, 6:41 PM
They CANT start the dros. How are they going to register a pistol to you that they dont know the serial number to?

Several stores managed this trick for me in the past. They simply called the distributer and got the serial number. I saw the serial number written on the order confirmation together with the tracking number when I made them show it to me so I knew it had actually been ordered.

Sucks you have to wait that long but this time of year distributers get backed up like no other. Hope you get it soon.

It would be great if they had set this expectation before I paid. They instead promised it would be there the next day. I then took all my DROS stuff into work and planned my eve around stopping off. They then told me it would be in the next day. They then told me it would be in Monday. Still waiting and no longer planning my evenings around the gun being in:-) Seriously, just setting expectations correctly is all I ask for. That way I'm not disappointed and don't have to replan.

I just hope that seeing the what it looks like from the customer point of view helps.

CALI-gula
12-20-2006, 5:32 PM
Merchants Try to Deal with Mad Shoppers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_angry_shoppers

By LAUREN VILLAGRAN, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK - 'Tis the season to be ... angry? The countdown to Christmas has dwindled to the single digits: As the mall crowds have worsened, so has the stress on shoppers faced with a creeping deadline to buy gifts — and they're increasingly taking that stress out on salespeople.

Now merchants from toy sellers to electronics chains have buckled down to deal with irate shoppers. Their strategies vary but the goal is generally the same: to keep customers happy (and from wrestling each other in the aisles) and employees safe.

"We've all done it: I know I've lost my temper, and everyone else has probably done it," said Ernest Speranza, chief marketing officer of KB Toys. "At this time of year, people start out with all the best intentions. They're busy buying toys for a young child. They're happy about doing that. Then they get caught up in the frenzy ... and a nice experience now starts to spiral out of control."

With shoppers procrastinating even more this year than last year, according to reports, retailers are bracing for an even bigger rush this weekend — and doing what they can to manage the mad multitudes. Stores have beefed up security and coached their employees in anger management. They're taking the hottest items off the shelves to avoid fights in the aisles. While retailers are reluctant to say how much they're spending to manage the mayhem, they do say the measures are worth it to keep their customers happy, employees sane and stores safe during the busiest time of the year.

Shoppers have become angrier, suggests a recent study by ComPsych Corp., a provider of employee assistance programs. This year, ComPsych has seen a marked increase in the number of acute-stress counseling sessions it provides to retailers related to customer abuse. The number rose 13 percent in 2006 following a 65 percent jump last year.

"During the holiday season, (retailers) bring on people who are less familiar with where products are, how stores operate," said Richard A. Chaifetz, chairman and chief executive of ComPsych. "Shoppers are agitated. Put those together and you create a combustible environment."

On the corner of 34th Street and 7th Avenue in New York, Melanie Marquez took a deep breath as she set down two handfuls of red and white Macy's shopping bags. She had just been shopping at the flagship store of Federated Department Stores Inc.

Marquez, 47, said she made her way to the front of the Macy's checkout line only to find that the register didn't recognize the discounts she expected on a set of towels. After leaving the line to search for the proper sales ticket, Marquez waited another hour to save about $14 on a receipt that totaled $450 — that, after putting up a fight.

"Poor Macy's," she said. "You have to be mean to them."

People are "pushy and rude," said 18-year-old Cheryl Warshauer, while shopping in New York. "I try not to be. But they're all so pushy, you have to be pushy back."

This season, fewer retail workers will bear the increased aggression. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of people employed in the retail sector slipped in November, compared to the same month last year. Meanwhile, workers employed by general merchandise stores has dropped to the lowest number since 2002.

To diffuse an incendiary situation before it sparks, KB Toys' Speranza said the chain has stopped putting the year's hottest toys on the shelves altogether. Fisher-Price's T.M.X. Elmo — one of this season's most fought-over items — didn't make it onto shelves until just this week, he said. Instead, KB Toys created a waiting list and called customers one by one as shipments arrived.

Meanwhile, Toys "R" Us Inc. said it puts hot products on display but tries to be sure supply meets demand, said Ron Boire, president of Toys "R" Us in the U.S. Still, there have been periodic shortages of T.M.X. Elmo, Nintendo's new Wii gaming console and Sony's Playstation3, he said.

To keep customers under control — lest a stressed-out shopper become a violent shopper — Boire said the chain beefs up security during the holidays, including hiring plainclothes officers to police its aisles and checkout lines.

Electronics retailer Best Buy Co. preps its employees for the holiday rush with preseason rehearsals.

Customers who normally come to browse or toy with Best Buy's interactive displays, "during the holidays, they come with a purpose," said Ryan Seymour, general manager of a Best Buy store in Alexandria, Va. "They're aggressive."

So a few days before Black Friday — the day after Thanksgiving that marks the start of the holiday shopping season — Best Buy stores do a "dry run" of the frenzy. Seasonal employees are made to wait in their respective departments when, at once, the other employees bully their way toward the department with a flood of questions. Employees are "armed with a strategy" for organization and inventory, Seymour said.

And the crowds won't be going away after Dec. 25. The nation's retailers are set to expand hours next week to accommodate the post-Christmas shopper rush, which has been increasing in recent years with the popularity of gift cards. That means the stress on employees continues, and retailers are keeping holiday season measures intact.

At a street vendor's table in New York, Lourdes Maria Gonzalez haggled for a bottle of perfume. After settling for the $10 price, she hurriedly stashed the canister in a stroller where her 3-month-old son slept and slung a large bag of wrapped presents over her shoulder.

"Everything is a rush," she said. "I'm behind. After Christmas, I'll still be doing Christmas shopping."

Rob454
12-20-2006, 6:38 PM
Or the worst thing you can do at a gun shop... when a customer is wanting to sell or consign a gun to a dealer, and joe blow steps in between the transaction making offers.

I...

I had that exact thing happen. i went to a gun store cause I had a couple of guns i never used ( In fact they were brand new shot a couple of times) the sales guy was really nice ( sometimes they were grumpy f*****s but hell if I dealt with a holes all day Id be grumpy also) anyway he was looking over the guns when this wanna be rambo steps in and grabs a rifle and starts to ask how much for the lot Ill give you this much bla bla bla. I looked at him and at the sales guy and told him. Excuse me. Ill tell you what. When im done selling the guns to the store youre more than welcome to make whatever deal your heart desires. Please place my rifle back on the table.
the guy couldnt believe I wasnt willing to sell him the gun right now as we speak.

The only thing I expect when i go to a store ( any store) is to be greeted and to be polite. I know people have bad days, i do too. but you are working with the public and unfortunately you DONT know if the guy walking in is ready to buy a arsenal or regear his whoel family for the next years hunting trip. I only go in a gun store when
1. Im READY to buy something
2. Need ammo for the quick trip to the range.

I have a buddy of mine who drives me up a wall. he will go in a store and spend hours there wasting time balbbing to the sales guys who want to help other customers. I dotn go to Turners cause I think their cstomer service sucks. the other store in the area is way more friendly and they dont give me BS. Whenever I used to go to turners ( usually when a buddy wanted a rigle or pistol) whatever was on sale usually wanst good. its a POS you dont want that. Last time i went there a buddy of mine ( who i was breaking into hunting) was looking for a shotgun. They had this semi auto Turkish made shotgun for 250$. i told him to get that because he may not even like hunting. i also told him to go with one of my shotguns first before he just bought one. No he had to have his own. Anyway I got so riled up because everything my buddy was looking at the sales guy was saying its this its that you dont want it. I finally said if theire so bad and POS why the hell are you selling them. the sales guy wanted to sell my buddy a 1400$ over under. I jsut laughed and dragged my buddy out of the store havent gone back since
Rob

Maddog5150
12-20-2006, 7:41 PM
Its called salesmanship to try to upsell people. Try working retail for a few years and it will change some of your perspective.
Just smile and nod and buy the lesser expensive gun. Also some firearms are really made cheap but the margins are so high that the gunstore owners buy them to make quick sales. The salesmen usually never have any say in what is stocked.
Its easy to quarterback armchair from in front of the counter as opposed to behind it. Now Im not saying your in the wrong but you could at least put yourself in his shoes. Some joe behind the counter is being pressured to sell the best and his meager paycheck is counting on it. Now some guy (after the forty or so before him) comes up and still wants to buy the cheapest gun on the rack. Think that would be frustrating? All salesman cant just have a s***eating grin and requesting more.
Was he in the right? Naw I dont think so. Were you in the right to mouth off and drag your friend off? Newp. Have a little understanding for the guy behind the counter who is making pennies on the dollar he is selling.

ryang
12-21-2006, 7:48 AM
Its called salesmanship to try to upsell people.I recall a previous thread where a guy was upset because he told his aged mother to buy a taurus revolver (cheap, reliable and intended for home defense) and the sales guy "upsold" her a semiauto. No one on that thread tried to defend the sales guy.

Good salesmanship is finding the best item to meet the customer's needs. It isn't about trying to sell the most expensive/highest profit margin item you have.

mscales5
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Several stores managed this trick for me in the past. They simply called the distributer and got the serial number. I saw the serial number written on the order confirmation together with the tracking number when I made them show it to me so I knew it had actually been ordered.

It would be great if they had set this expectation before I paid. They instead promised it would be there the next day. I then took all my DROS stuff into work and planned my eve around stopping off. They then told me it would be in the next day. They then told me it would be in Monday. Still waiting and no longer planning my evenings around the gun being in:-) Seriously, just setting expectations correctly is all I ask for. That way I'm not disappointed and don't have to replan.

I just hope that seeing the what it looks like from the customer point of view helps.

Actually we have been told we can't start a DROS without the firearm in stock. If a dealer wants to do taht tehn it is his choice. If there is a mix-up on the Ser# the DROS has to be canceled sicne dealers can not "Correct" a ser#. I have had a different ser #'d gun show up then the one I was guoted so it does happen. If it does happen the custoemr will have to pay for the 2nd DROS if he insists on starting before the gun arrives.

Years ago with the old books we could correct anything just by sending in a "corrected copy" but not anymore. So I no longer start a DROS without the gun in stock including long guns.

Fate
12-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I've seen this mentioned a few times under the "nightmare customer" heading. What's so wrong with trying to haggle...a la "what's your best price on this?" Make an offer and counteroffer. To me it's part of the gun shop "game"...just like buying cars. Some deals work out, others don't.

In the vast majority of my firearm purchases, I've gotten movement on the price. I think I've only encountered a few dealers that would not budge.

grammaton76
12-21-2006, 4:00 PM
In my case, when I'm helping folks select a weapon... "profit" isn't why I "upsell" - since I'm not on commission anyway.

When you're at a gun show, you don't know what the customer really WANTS. They might be looking for a premium match trigger, or they may just want a basic one. They may want detachable magazines, or they may be happy with a fixed-mag kit.

Let's not forget that some customers buy one gun or accessory, then get grumpy about it later on and wish they'd bought the next model up. When they see you again, guess whose fault it is if you didn't happen to have told them about their options at the time? In my view, it's the responsibility of the salesman to ensure that the customer is making an informed choice. If the guy is looking for a quad-railed upper, then maybe it's in his best interests to also know you've got a dual barrel package available in case he wants to go 6.8SPC as well.

If the guy says no, that's totally cool - your responsibility begins and ends with ensuring that he's AWARE that there's a level beyond what he's looking at... it's his choice whether to move up to it or not.

CSACANNONEER
12-21-2006, 7:46 PM
Not a bad customer, just a stupid non-buying customer. In reveiwing his just filled out 4473, the person handling the attempted transaction notice that the guy had marked that he WAS a fugitive from justice. He was then asked if this was correct and he said YES! Needless to say, he left the shop wearing a new set of braclets and an all expence paid vacation!

xenophobe
12-21-2006, 8:06 PM
If there is a mix-up on the Ser# the DROS has to be canceled sicne dealers can not "Correct" a ser#

Yes, you can. You can change almost any one single fact of a handgun that is being DROSed. If you want to change the serial # you need to mail them the form.

Dont Tread on Me
12-21-2006, 8:32 PM
Yes, you can. You can change almost any one single fact of a handgun that is being DROSed. If you want to change the serial # you need to mail them the form.

That what happened yesterday for me. After making me wait before starting the DROS the dealer entered the wrong model/caliber on the DROS. I spotted it when I got home and they just had to fax in a correction.

Sounds like my dealer would sooner everybody wait than deal with the 1 in 1000 case when there is a screw up with the serial number. I could have had my gun in my hand today if they had been more flexible. Now I'm counting the days until the 30th. I'll purchase in future from dealers that start the DROS for me right away. That's a free market for you.

damon1272
12-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Wow... all I can say is that you must leave a really sheltered life to actually believe what you posted.

It's the average shooting enthusiast that is responsible for saying "I don't need AWs or 50bmgs and I don't care" or go to the range, break every rule and then get pissed off because the rangemaster was being a dick that hurts the industry.

All of the dealers who post here are the better dealers in the state. If you really believe that load of crap that's spewing from your mouth, you should look at yourself and your friends and imagine what you can do to better serve the shooting industry. People are either shooters or they aren't, and gun dealers don't force people who don't like guns to go shooting. It's YOUR responsibility to learn proper marksmanship, it's your responsibility to know that everyone in life isn't going to bend over backwards for you, and that sometimes you gotta tolerate indifference.

You might as well whine about how Home Depot is killing the remodeling industry because their employees are generally contractors or helpers who couldn't hack with real construction, and their lack of helping you do exactly what you want means they're horrible.

Geez. Get a grip.

EDIT: Oh, and those damn Car Dealers and Salesmen are killing the recreational driving industry. :rolleyes:

Well, Xenophobe your response mirrors much of what I am talking about. I was commenting on observations that I have made about interactions by gun shop owners/employees and people that may not be fully infomed on fire arms. I do think that this sport is slowly dying out and it is all of our interests to grow the shooting industry. Poor interactions with people that are intially interested in the sport will help the anti's along in there quest to do away with gun owning altogether. My comments were not directed specifically at you or any of the other gun dealer on this board but as something for gun dealers to think about as they many times can have the biggest impact on people that are new to the sport. If my comments hit a little close to home ( as I think the your response shows) then sorry for the hurt feelings.

kantstudien
12-22-2006, 2:07 AM

You don't even need to mail anything in anymore, it can all be done on the DROS website. Simple "correct DROS' and "change serial number" I believe. There may be a limited number of days this can be done though.

xenophobe
12-22-2006, 9:50 AM
My comments were not directed specifically at you or any of the other gun dealer on this board but as something for gun dealers to think about as they many times can have the biggest impact on people that are new to the sport.

Um... do I need to remind you what you wrote?

If my comments hit a little close to home ( as I think the your response shows) then sorry for the hurt feelings.

No hurt feelings, just pointing out that you're unreasonably misguided.