PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle L.E.D. illegal?

gogogadget
06-08-2011, 3:03 PM
Is it illegal to have L.E.D. lights under the body of your motorcycle while riding on the fwy. They would be facing the road and not red or blue. Reference to specific Ca vehicle code would help.

Samuelx
06-08-2011, 5:50 PM
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_e.htm equipment

TRICKSTER
06-08-2011, 6:11 PM
OK as long as you follow this.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm

kel-tec-innovations
06-08-2011, 6:16 PM
OK as long as you follow this.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm

From what it says it seems like any color is legal as long as red is not facing forward? what about blue?

Cokebottle
06-08-2011, 7:50 PM
From what it says it seems like any color is legal as long as red is not facing forward? what about blue?
Actually colors are specified by federal law.

Constant-On:
Visible from front - White or amber only
Visible from side front - White or amber only
Visible from side rear - Red only
Visible from rear - Red only, white when backing up.

Flashing:
Visible from front - Amber only*
Visible from side front - Amber only
Visible from side rear - Red or amber
Visible from rear - Red or amber

* Headlight modulators are 50-state legal for motorcycles, must cease modulation at night.

Blue in any direction is reserved for LE only
Red forward reserved for fire/LE

Green is reserved in some states

So red "underbody" lighting would be legal as long as it is not visible from the front.
Amber would be okay under the front fender.

Notorious
06-09-2011, 8:36 AM
Why would you do that anyway? So people can see it when you wheelie? Just wondering what halos do for motorcycles other than when you park it for show.

glock_this
06-09-2011, 8:39 AM
it's all about show.. they "do nothing" of course. It's just a matter of a way to trick out and personalize your ride - just like we all do our weapons really. If done well, it can be pretty cool. Just like under lighting on a nice car.

Spanky8601
06-09-2011, 2:21 PM
A few years ago saw a guy with a string of Christmas flashing multicolored lights on his ride. I was really impressed.:no:

lairdb
06-09-2011, 2:42 PM
Actually colors are specified by federal law.
[...]
Red forward reserved for fire/LE

Been to Hawaii? Tow cars display flashing red in all directions. Wisconsin and WA, also, IIRC.

Tow cars display flashing blue in NM, I think.

Falconis
06-09-2011, 2:48 PM
In some areas, the tow's are controlled by the municipality. That's the only reason I can think of why the tow trucks would have red on them.

Us3rName
06-09-2011, 2:48 PM
Why would you do that anyway? So people can see it when you wheelie? Just wondering what halos do for motorcycles other than when you park it for show.

Why do some people put logos and writing on their ar15 dust cover? or change selector options to reword or have images. Or adding rail covers and etc. Its just him making that piece of equipment his.

bombadillo
06-09-2011, 3:00 PM
Been to Hawaii? Tow cars display flashing red in all directions. Wisconsin and WA, also, IIRC.

Tow cars display flashing blue in NM, I think.

Been to Humboldt? We have a "trucker parade" every year and guys decorate their big rigs and ride around town. Pretty funny actually.

X7YFuOWlAjU

gogogadget
06-09-2011, 5:41 PM
The main reason to add led lights is to increase visibility of the motorcycle at night. It doesn't hurt that the lights also add flair to the motorcycle. No wheelies or stunting. But yes its a personalized customization. I don't need any tickets or to waste a LEOs time over some LEDs

Notorious
06-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Cool. I understand personalization just not at the cost of running afoul of the law.