PDA

View Full Version : JLD Enterprise PTR-91 legal in Cal?

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 10:08 AM
The title really says it all. I will be moving to California next month, and I want to know if this rifle is legal there. I know that the flash hider will need to disappear; and I will get some 5 or 10 round magazines for the rifle. IS there anything else that would make it ILLEGAL:confused:

Here is the link for the information on the rifle

http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91f.html

Any information that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

SemiAutoSam
12-16-2006, 10:13 AM
You can either pin the mag in place so disassembly of the weapon to remove the mag or grip less build where the PG is cut off. make sure the FFL ships it in separate boxes box#1 with the receiver and barrel and another box with everything else.

Just buy a HK Locking mag kit from the gentleman that makes them and your golden. with this option you will need a 10 round mag.

Oh also don't forget to have the FFL leave any mags out of the box that are over 10 round capacity.

The title really says it all. I will be moving to California next month, and I want to know if this rifle is legal there. I know that the flash hider will need to disappear; and I will get some 5 or 10 round magazines for the rifle. IS there anything else that would make it ILLEGAL:confused:

Here is the link for the information on the rifle

http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91f.html

Any information that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea how to "pin the mag in place so disassembly of the weapon to remove the mag or grip less build where the PG is cut off" If you could explain, I would be most greatful.

Also, how does the HK Locking mag kit work? and where exactly could I purchase one?

Thanks for such a fast response.

blkA4alb
12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Let me see if I can explain it better. Since that rifle is a centerfire, semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine it cannot have:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

What you can do is either pin a 10 round magazine so that it does not have a detachable magazine, or you can remove all of the features listed above (in your case the flash hider and cut the pistol grip off.) I believe rorschach is the one who sells the HK magazine lock.

Here is the link to the laws you need to know. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Specifically section 12276.1.

SemiAutoSam
12-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Here is the HK Maglock thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37200

Link to PM the maker of the lock.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/private.php?do=newpm&u=6944

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Ahh now I understand, i searched and found rorschach post where he describes how he made the mag lock. Looks really good, but loading the rifle looks like it will be a real pain.

Thanks for info.

I am actually looking forward to moving back to Cal, with the exception of the gun laws :mad:

SemiAutoSam
12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes it may be a pain but its better than not having such a firearm.

We in the PRC must do what is legally required of us to be able to have firearms as we are thought of as children by those that are our servants (Government).

You also have the option to run grip less and have no evil features but unless you had standard capacity magazines (anything over 10 rounds) before 2000 you must only use the 10 round mags.

Ahh now I understand, i searched and found rorschach post where he describes how he made the mag lock. Looks really good, but loading the rifle looks like it will be a real pain.

Thanks for info.

I am actually looking forward to moving back to Cal, with the exception of the gun laws :mad:

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Yes it may be a pain but its better than not having such a firearm.

I could never have said it better myself

blkA4alb
12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
unless you had standard capacity magazines (anything over 10 rounds) before 2000
In the state of california, remember he is moving here Sam.

SemiAutoSam
12-16-2006, 10:54 AM
OH ok sorry I didn't catch that part.

And since he cant bring any over 10 round mags in he is limited to 10 round mags.

Good eyes blkA4alb I'm getting old my ATD is declining.

In the state of California, remember he is moving here Sam.

blkA4alb
12-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Good eyes blkA4alb I'm getting old my ATD is declining.
No problem, I hope that people are checking what I say and catch me if I make a mistake (since we all make them.)

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 11:20 AM
:D unfortunatly I do know some of the Cal gun laws (mainly the 10 round limit:mad: ), cause I just moved out of state 5 months ago. Having to move back now, which like I said before I am fine with except :mad: the guns part. I moved up to Oregon, and just about anything goes here as long as it complies with federal law.

rorschach
12-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Just caught this thread.

I can set you up with the lock and full length 10 round mag. I just sold out of the last batch but will have some more cut next week when I get a few extra minutes. PM me.

hoffmang
12-16-2006, 12:52 PM
One can re-import large capacity magazines that one had in the state before 2000. See Penal Code 12020 (b) (23):

(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.

This is also how you travel with large capacity magazines.

-Gene

DesertRat
12-16-2006, 1:55 PM
Thanks for all the info. It will be a couple of weeks before I do anything yet. See, this is the gun that I want to get and am planning to get; and since I know that I have to move back to California in a month or so, I want to make sure that I can bring it with me.
And thank you rorschach. When the time comes when I have to have the lock I will PM you. Thanks for making the option avaliable.

As far as having the high capacity mags, I dont even have the gun yet let alone having the mags before 2000 :D

I was hoping to buy the rifle here in Oregon, which shouldnt be a problem; BUT if I am forced to move before I purchase it, is it possible to buy the gun in Cal?

rorschach
12-16-2006, 2:54 PM
I was hoping to buy the rifle here in Oregon, which shouldnt be a problem; BUT if I am forced to move before I purchase it, is it possible to buy the gun in Cal?

Yes, several places either stock them or can get them. Offhand, I know Metroshot in San Fernando (where I got mine) and Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside.

You can also try atlanticfirearms.com, they have PTR's, Vectors, and Bobcats in stock and will remove the pistol grip and flash hider to ship to a California FFL. Also check out the boards: hkpro.com and sturmgewehr.com, you can often find killer deals on PTRs, Vectors, and (sometimes) genuine HK's. Often the seller is willing to ship here once you explain that not everything is illegal here.

JGarrison
12-18-2006, 8:39 AM
I'm assuming most FFL's wont do the transfer on these? Anyone know of one in the Sac/Bay area willing? Seems most of the good FFL's are in SouthCA:(

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm assuming most FFL's wont do the transfer on these? Anyone know of one in the Sac/Bay area willing? Seems most of the good FFL's are in SouthCA:(

It depends on the FFL. The guns are 100% legal, provided they meet the criteria: fixed mag, etc.

They are very easy to make CA-compliant; all that is required is a washer that you slip behind the mag catch.

JGarrison
12-18-2006, 6:10 PM
Emailed Atlantic about the 91, they said they would make it CA compliant for an extra $30. Now I just need to find an FFL in Sac to do it:( Anyone got one in the bayarea maybe?

SemiAutoSam
12-18-2006, 6:15 PM
It might be a good idea to find out how they plan to make it California compliant.

As if its like DSA and how they make the their FAL compliant you might not like how its done and just let CWS ship it to 10% or another Calguns friendly FFL making it compliant with the lock that Rorschach produces.

Emailed Atlantic about the 91, they said they would make it CA compliant for an extra $30. Now I just need to find an FFL in Sac to do it:( Anyone got one in the bayarea maybe?

JGarrison
12-18-2006, 6:20 PM
It might be a good idea to find out how they plan to make it California compliant.

As if its like DSA and how they make the their FAL compliant you might not like how its done and just let CWS ship it to 10% or another Calguns friendly FFL making it compliant with the lock that Rorschach produces.

I believe they said by just taking the flash hider off and pistol grip, and shipping that seperate from the rest of the gun.

SemiAutoSam
12-18-2006, 6:27 PM
Well that sounds good just so they don't plan to weld the mag to the receiver or something moronic like that.
They might have heard about the newest DOJ Boondoggle and could believe its law.

If I bought a rifle and opened the box to find it like that not expecting such a modification I would be VERY BENT. But maybe thats just me.

Good Luck with your new acquisition.

I believe they said by just taking the flash hider off and pistol grip, and shipping that separate from the rest of the gun.

Skammy
12-18-2006, 8:08 PM
http://sportsmanssafari.com/

Sells HK clones to CA also.. does layaway also :D I'll post more about my HK clone later..