PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Supreme Court hears campus carry case today

Zak
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
The Colorado Supreme Court today is hearing arguments for whether or not the University of Colorado will allow concealed permit weapons on campus.

Last June the University's Board of Regents voted 5-4 to file an appeal to keep the campus' imposed gun ban in order to overturn a Colorado Court of Appeals ruling that concluded CU violated state law, which allows concealed carry with a permit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/colorado-supreme-court-co_n_873248.html

The University of Colorado is my alma mater, so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

NorCal Mtn Flyer
06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
This will be an interesting outcome, as Boulder is the "Berkeley of the mtns". Very liberal politically, I'm suprised the Regents vote was so close at 5-4...

But the CSC may not be so liberal...

Zak
06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
This will be an interesting outcome, as Boulder is the "Berkeley of the mtns". Very liberal politically, I'm suprised the Regents vote was so close at 5-4...

But the CSC may not be so liberal...

That surprised me too. Maybe the 4 dissenters knew that a CCW ban was overstepping their authority (not like it has stopped antis before though).

I really hope Colorado gets this one right though. I expect if they join Texas and Utah in campus carry, it will be weaken the "drunk frat boys will be shooting each other over parking spots" argument.

yellowfin
06-08-2011, 1:13 PM
Texas chickened out on campus carry this session, unfortunately.

chris12
06-08-2011, 2:18 PM
I am not impressed with the oral arguments. Maybe I've just listened to to many Gura arguments recently.

Connor P Price
06-08-2011, 3:05 PM
I've been watching this case with great interest and can't wait to see how it goes. Boulder is a real possibility for law school for me.

Zak
06-08-2011, 3:23 PM
I've been watching this case with great interest and can't wait to see how it goes. Boulder is a real possibility for law school for me.

I've also been considering going back for grad school, so this case may just seal the deal for me.

I am not impressed with the oral arguments. Maybe I've just listened to to many Gura arguments recently.

Not impressed with which side? Do you have a transcript of the oral argument?

hoffmang
06-08-2011, 3:30 PM
Oral argument is available: http://t.co/gN0wBtD

Mostly centered on preemption - less 2A, state RKBA.

-Gene

chris12
06-08-2011, 5:01 PM
Not impressed with which side? Do you have a transcript of the oral argument?

I was not impressed with either side, but I was mainly focusing on the pro carry side. Lots of pauses, thinking (not quickly enough), repeating an argument in the same 30 minutes, not sounding convincing when answering questions from the judges.

Granted I would sound way way worse if I had to present an argument for 30 min, but I expected better.

No transcript, audio file has been linked.