PDA

View Full Version : Can the budget deal improve 2A?

Morbo
06-08-2011, 7:53 AM
I just read where the Republicans are negotiating with Democrats on a budget deal. One of the items on the table is a requirement that all regulations passed by the State be required to have a fiscal impact analysis. Basically Republicans are looking to end the wasteful regulations that hinder economic activity.

Why can't the 2A community use that sort of provision to block future firearms regulations? We all know that there is no benefit to the crazy laws and regulations adopted by this State with respect to firearms. So if there is a formal mechanism to attack these misguided attempts at reducing violence (the purported goal of most all of this garbage), couldn't we use it to our advantage?

I understand the devil is in the details about how any such agreement would be structured. But it seems to me it offers one more avenue to attack the antis. I've already contacted my representatives and endorsed that portion of the budget deal.

Or am I just drinking too much coffee this morning and am being optimistic?

bwiese
06-08-2011, 8:33 AM
The budget issues can help stop upcoming bad laws (i.e, proposed long gun registration where implementation and education costs - let alone DROS system programming - will be large).

It won't detangle bad law, esp because 2A is low (esp now due to focus on budget) on the list of Republican legislators' areas of concern. At best most talk a good game but are limited to 'no' votes on bad gun bills - as opposed to driving pro-gun bills or doing other measures to promote gunrights.

OleCuss
06-08-2011, 8:33 AM

Or am I just drinking too much coffee this morning and am being optimistic?

Your idea is rational. This is California where rationality makes no sense.

Are you sure that's coffee?

loose_electron
06-08-2011, 8:45 AM
Don't confuse whats going on at the
Federal level with what happens at the State level.

Budget stuff in DC is a lot of political
posturing and brinksmanship.

Most of the stuff going on that hampers us in CA
is political stuff at the state level.

Morbo
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Don't confuse whats going on at the
Federal level with what happens at the State level.

Budget stuff in DC is a lot of political
posturing and brinksmanship.

Most of the stuff going on that hampers us in CA
is political stuff at the state level.

I am talking about California. Governor Brown is trying to broker a deal with Republicans so he can get his tax extension. The Republicans are demanding concessions. One of those concessions is that all new regulations have to be cost effective, that is, the state would have to perform a cost-benefit analysis before they could implement more regulations. I'm pretty sure most firearms regulations are not cost effective. (Yes, yes, I know they are probably unconstitutional as well but a multi-pronged attack seems attractive to me. Attack the bureaucracy where it is weakest, cost effectiveness. That will slow down new regulations.)

While I agree this doesn't help with the current garbage on the books, it would raise the bar for any new restrictions.

Ole Cuss - I wish it were more than just coffee.

ccmc
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Make the state shall issue including to non-residents. That should bring in some money. Let non-resident apply directly to some state agency like CHP while residents continue to apply to their local agencies if that's what they want to keep the gravy train local. Get rid of appointments, GC, "good moral character" blah blah which is all fascist BS anyway. A simple background check works fine in most states

SanPedroShooter
06-08-2011, 1:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I almost made a thread about it. Brown needs four Republicans to get his tax extension on the ballot, could one of those R's hold out for some pro 2A concessions?

I mean we would have to keep paying various taxes at the same rate, but we could get a few demands met. Fair trade?

Jason P
06-08-2011, 2:28 PM
I'm from NC. $55.00 and a class and you are GTG. None of my friends with a CCW has shotanyone yet. Let's go GOP!

Aren't there ***. members and Sen. Members that could be swing votes and definite votes for something like this if we get on there asses to make it happen.

Maybe the urban guys will even get on board if the funds collected are disbursed by county population statewide?