View Full Version : Some members having DNS problems

12-16-2006, 1:16 AM

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but some members myself included are having difficulty connecting with the forum. I'm being directed to the old forum location with a database that has dates stuck at 11/9/06. Posting and IM's/Emails work as normal, but nobody else is on there. It's like a ghost town.

I reclieved a reply recently which instructed me to type in the IP address manually, and I finally arrived at this location where everyone is happily chatting away.

Please know there might be others who are stranded at the old forum location and don't know what's going on. I was under the impression Calguns was down for the count for about a week.

12-17-2006, 8:51 PM
Thanks Chung! I was seeing the same issue. Could be an issue with our ISPs recursive name servers not clearing their cache.

12-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I went back and posted this message in all discussion sub-forums at the old Calguns.net location:

If you can see this posting, you are having DNS problems and are not connected to the correct Calguns.net website :eek: . As you can see, there have not been any postings besides this one since 11/9/06 on this server. Please click on the following link to get you to the current Calguns server location and bookmark the link.

You will find the forum is alive and well over at the new server!

I hope it helps any stragglers to find the new server. I still get directed to the old Calguns location if I just type in www.calguns.net in my browser. I wonder if the Admin here can see if the hosting company can re-direct the old IP address to the new one.

12-18-2006, 5:02 AM
I received an email from Kest and he suggested flushing my PCs DNS cache. It didnt work for me but may for someone else... I think its an issue with either calguns or my ISPs DNS TTLs (Time To Live) set too long.

Try flushing the DNS cache. To do this, click Start > Run and type cmd and Press Enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
Since the forum uses the same URL as on the shared server but has new dns settings on the VPS this resets them as I was told.

12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
How do you flush DNS cache in OS X?

12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
First off thanks Chunger for the tech info/help!

I am a bit handicapped in looking into this, all the comps I use have been used to access the control panel so they are updated or have never been to the site so they don't have a cache for it.
I'm still trying to figure out what's going on but it's a pain indeed.

For OS X I found this:

To flush the DNS cache in Mac OS X:-

- type lookupd -flushcache in your terminal to flush the DNS resolver cache.
ex: bash-2.05a$ lookupd -flushcache
- Once you run the command your DNS cache (in Mac OS X) will flush.

12-18-2006, 2:41 PM

Thanks for the tip. . . flushing my DNS worked, and I'm connected properly to this site now. . . :)