View Full Version : Weapons Training

06-08-2011, 5:45 AM
I'll start off by saying I know there is a board for discussing training...I'm posting in the LE section cuz I'd like to hear the opinions of other officers.

Can you guys recommend any good training programs you've been through that are mostly targeted towards LE? I'm interested in carbine and pistol courses (or a combo) that you may have taken. I'm in SoCal and would like to stay somewhat local. Reasonably priced would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

06-08-2011, 6:28 AM
ITR offers some pretty good classes. Thats where my department sent me for SWAT school, AR instructor course, and flash bang instructor course.

06-08-2011, 6:51 AM
Highly recommend: Scotty Reitz at ITTS. Some of the best training I've been too period.

Max Joseph at TFTT. Is a bit more military oriented but good too.

R.K. Miller at National Training Concepts has some good programs. His schedule tends to rotated between operator and instructor schools. He's one of the main train-the-trainer guys in the area. He's also involved with a local academy and SWAT school.

Then there's always the traveling guys (Vickers, Falla, Howe, Gonzales, Awerbuck, etc). Some will offer an LE only class when their in town. Red Back One did a LE only carbine class about a month ago that was sponsored by a local SWAT team. Then he did a open carbine class on the weekend. Grey Group's website coordinates several of these guys. Prado Shootng Park in Chino hosts many of these courses. Give them a call, maybe they have a master list for the year but I've not seen it posted on their website.

Falcon Security is starting to offer LE only classes. I don't have any feedback on them except AAR on the web. They are on the training flyer from a local LE organization. $200 for a 1 day class is the rate, I think.

Did I say Scotty Reitz yet?

06-08-2011, 8:07 AM
I would absolutely consider Scotty Reitz. He is an extremely experienced law enforcement instructor, which can be a different animal from a military instructor. He's well versed in the legal aspects of law enforcement deadly force, and has years of experience training LAPD SWAT, SIS, and other police units. He also offers law enforcement only classes.

I've had great experiences with Falcon Security also. Although I've never taken their law enforcement only classes, their instruction was very good. I would recommend looking into their law enforcement classes, and steer away from their civilian classes, as the civilian classes I took with them were a little basic. Their instructors are prior military for the most part.

If the classes you're interested in have prerequisites, I would contact the trainer and explain your past training and what you're looking to learn. If they're not willing to work with you to get the training you need, go somewhere else. The above two companies shouldn't give you a problem in that regard.

06-09-2011, 7:31 AM
I have the flyer for Falcon 1-day pistol operator's class and it's like $200 for a day at Rauhauge's in Corona. There's 3 different dates coming up and you need 500 rounds for the pistol course. I am debating it... anyone else here interested?

Might be fun if we go together... my coworkers aren't too into training on their own time, which is sad.

06-09-2011, 8:00 PM
I might be down to go, depending on the date.

06-09-2011, 9:37 PM
There are 3 dates. I am whatever. As long as I don't have mandatory stuff I am good to go.

06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Are these classes (Falcon, Reitz and TFTT) POST certified?

06-10-2011, 6:49 AM
Better yet, are they POST reimbursable?

06-10-2011, 7:12 AM
ITTS, Magpul, LMS defense, EAG Tactical put on some killer courses. Worth EVERY penny.

06-10-2011, 5:12 PM
I'd like to do a Vickers course but there are none open according to the website. Magpul seems great but they aren't coming to the area. Thank you guys for your input.

06-10-2011, 5:32 PM

Check ot this site. An excellent group of trainers. You won't find bettter training by a better group of operators anywhere.

Barking Iron
06-11-2011, 7:43 AM
I agree with "003". My problem with Reitz (good instructor) is he has been off the streets for almost 15 years or more. I took his classes 14 years ago and I wanted a fresh perspective. I recently tried the guys at Covered 6 and for the price of most classes, I got a private range and cutomized course. They also have the "current" LAPD SWAT guys not retired. I live in SOCAL so Magpul seems out of reach. Its nice to have some instructors with local experience.

Here is link to their affiliates www.dplatoon.com

06-11-2011, 7:48 AM
My problem with Reitz is he has been off the streets for almost 15 years or more. I took his classes 14 years ago and I wanted a fresh perspective. I tried the guys at Covered 6 and for the price of most classes, I got a private range. They also have the "current" LAPD SWAT guys not retired.

Shouldn't be a problem...ITTS uses active LAPD SWAT officers as assistant instructors. Just took a class a few weeks ago and this was the case.

06-11-2011, 8:07 AM
I've taken several classes from Firearms Training Associates. Bill Murphy is the main instructor and has good qualifications. The last class I took was in 2005 so it's been a while. Their web page is ftatv.com .

06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Dynamictactical.org. Good prices, taught by active police officers and they have their classes at Eagles Nest Angeles Crest Range. I just took the intermediate carbine/pistol course and had a great time, shot alot, and actually learned stuff.

Instucters CV is a current SWAT Operator, The other, RB, is also active LEO and is part of his Departments firemarms training for their special operations details
O, and the classes are smaller, usually ten per class

Barking Iron
06-13-2011, 6:07 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some "simunition" indoor training. Like a shoothouse for "force on force" training? Paper targets are one thing, but I need to take it to the next level.

06-13-2011, 6:17 AM
I think Simunition is only sold to LE agencies. I've never seen private sales of simunition ammo or their blue guns. It's pretty expensive too and we switched from sims to airsoft for our tactical training. Sad, no?

In other news, I'm signing up for the 6/18 pistol/shotgun class with Dynamic Tactical if they still got space.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I also highly recommend Scotty Reitz at ITTS. He is a wealth of knowledge and often uses active LAPD SWAT officers and LAPD firearms intructors as assistant instructors. He has also used active officers from other agencies and even a Navy SEAL to assist in his classes.

I would still recommend Scotty Reitz even if he didn't bring in active law enforcement assistant instructors. In addition to his outstanding training evolutions, his legal perspective on the use of deadly force is worth the price of admission alone. Besides, I don't hear anybody complaining about Larry Vickers, Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, Kyle DeFoor, or Jason Falla being out of the field for too long.

Falcon Security Group also provides outstanding training.

07-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I have taken almost every one of Scott Reitz classes and there is always a significant portion who are LE or active military. He does provide simunition training in a shoot house. There are instructors who are active duty.

It is because of Scotty's classes and the LE folks that I met there which led me to try and get onto law enforcement. No luck yet but I'll keep plugging away...