PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Question

Mossy Man
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Hello, I am a new member to the forum and had a little question about the Mossberg 590.

I have the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose (#50645) and originally I intended it for use as a home defense shotgun.

After purchasing it, a friend of mine who I did not know was also a gun enthusiast, asked me to go skeet and trap shooting with him. I have never done this before, but I understand that while pump shotguns overall are not ideal for this purpose, it is pretty difficult to do with a cylinder bore.

I came to learn during my search that Mossberg does not make choked or threaded 590 barrels.

Does anyone know any solutions to attaching a choke to the 590 barrel?

Any good gumsmiths in the Nor/Central CA area that will be able to thread the barrel?

Thanks in advanced.

BigfootHunter
06-08-2011, 1:08 AM
For whatever it might cost you to have one added to the 590, I'd just use that $$ to buy a 500 (plenty of choked barrels available) or a Maverick 88 (their cheaper imported pump which still uses 500 barrels). Additionally, even adding chokes to the 590 may not be enough as most skeet/trap ranges have barrel length minimums (One by me is 28" or over only).

Although if you've never been skeet or trap shooting, and it's at an actual skeet/trap range, I'd either rent one from them or borrow the one he's using, before spending any $ on a hobby that may or may not suit your tastes.

Rambo, John J.
06-08-2011, 8:15 PM
For whatever it might cost you to have one added to the 590, I'd just use that $$ to buy a 500 (plenty of choked barrels available) or a Maverick 88 (their cheaper imported pump which still uses 500 barrels). Additionally, even adding chokes to the 590 may not be enough as most skeet/trap ranges have barrel length minimums (One by me is 28" or over only).

I agree with BigfootHunter. You'd be better off buying a 500, a used one if you want to save $. There will be way more barrel options. The 590 is more for self defense applications.