View Full Version : "complete" upper ? ?

12-15-2006, 6:45 PM
I'm new to the modern rifle game (I'm a milsurp guy) and I'm planning on "building" an AR15. I thought I'd start by getting the full lower assembly and then building on top of it.

My question is about the "complete uppers" I see for sale online. If I buy a "complete lower" and a "complete upper" will I have everything I need to make a full rifle? If not, what are the missing pieces of the puzzle I would need to buy to complete my build?

PS: I am familiar with CA laws regarding the AR15 and AW's, so there is no need to explain any legal stuff to me.


12-15-2006, 6:51 PM
The only things that you would need is the buttstock assembly and the magazine lock (to be CAlifornia legal)

You can also buy a bare receiver and then buy a rifle kit which will get you everything except the magazine lock kit.

12-15-2006, 6:52 PM
You cannot legally buy a "complete" OLL with pistol grip unless it has the mag in place and pinned. Most dealers don't do that. Otherwise, you need the pistol grip detached first and no collapsable stock. Again, most dealers don't do this.

But oh yeah...you know this stuff.

12-15-2006, 7:12 PM
Some dealers might install the maglock before they ship, but most won't. You could ask them to remove the pistol grip however. Your safe bet is to assemble the lower and slap on a complete upper.

12-15-2006, 7:21 PM
alright guys.

Do most uppers come with a bolt goup and charging handle??

12-15-2006, 7:58 PM
alright guys.

Do most uppers come with a bolt goup and charging handle??


12-15-2006, 8:18 PM
Complete lower - means complete ... with the exception of Cali laws...

This means complete trigger assembly, complete buttstock assembly, whether it's A2 or collapsible, lower receiver and pistol grip

Complete Upper - means complete... bolt & carrier, and yes, charging handle, all upper assembly parts, gas tube, etc.

Buy a complete lower and complete upper and you have all the components necessary to complete a rifle in most states ...

Except of your your locking kit and mag if locking your mag in place.... or

Removal of Grip & any flash hider for a comp break if going ejectable, plus the mag (s)

Some dealers will make the rifle parts Cali compliant


12-15-2006, 10:48 PM
BDGfate...Thanks for the legal reminder. That might be a good reason to buy a stripped lower and a lower parts kit instead of a complete lower.

My comment about legal issues was just an attempt to avoid making this thread a thread about legal issues (like forum threads so often do). Also, thanks for the condescending attitude... It really gave me a sense of what a nice guy you must be.
Your welcome, Buttercup. If you had posted your question on arf.com, my reply would seem warm and fuzzy.

Sorry, but if you close with phrases that could be construed as "condescending" themselves, ("I know the law, please don't lecture me") but your questions indicate you don't understand the legal ramifications of what you are thinking about ordering (complete lower), don't be surprised if you get a little dose of sarcasm tossed your way.

Good luck and stay legal. ;)