PDA

View Full Version : See OAK in his buttless chaps - TONIGHT (6/7/2011) in SF - ALL INVITED

oaklander
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Mods - this thread is in the 2A forum because it concerns our grassroots strategy. Please ignore the "beer" part (we promise not to have fun). . .

:D

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

All,

With recent events - I thought it would be good to have a QUICK and INFORMAL "2A grassroots" strategy discussion summit. Beer is also a good thing!!!

Since those two things are true - I'm having a party TONIGHT 6/7/2011 - in San Francisco at my hotel. . .

Please PM me for the hotel location and room number. The party starts at 7pm - and we will likely head out for dinner/drinks. The hotel is in SOMA - so there are plenty of things to do. . .

SierraApril is going to drive out from Sonora to join us - so if you've ever wanted to meet the ONLY PERSON who is patient enough to marry me - please also join us.

Nothing will be decided tonight!!! That's above my pay grade. However, I am very motivated to listen to folks - especially UOC people and other folks who may have some feedback on how the grassroots is "doing" here in CA in 2011.

Please post in the poll and let me know if you are coming. If you don't know the hotel and room number - please PM me, or email me at the link in my "talk to Oak" signature line.

ALL ARE INVITED - and sorry for short notice. With recent events - I'd like to move fast to make sure that everyone is on the same page (or at least I want to know what book we are reading). . .

LOL

ETA: changed thread title for added silliness!!!

oaklander
06-07-2011, 1:22 PM
I just invited some key UOC folks - and I'm now trying to bring in some more people. Think of this as an example of how NOT TO BE AN INTERNET COMMANDO.

Unlike certain people, "we" Calgunners actually do, like "real" things out in the real world that you can touch and see. . .

Glock22Fan
06-07-2011, 1:29 PM
Where's the "I'd love to come but it is a 700 mile round trip for me."

unusedusername
06-07-2011, 1:38 PM
Tonight is ALSO the leadership SF NRA MC meeting... meaning I can't go because I've got to be at the MC meeting at 7pm...

Just a case of bad timing, but the NRA mucky-mucks (and me) will be someplace else at that time.

Purple K
06-07-2011, 1:39 PM
Count me in!

nick
06-07-2011, 1:53 PM
You people should come to SoCal more often...

redneckshootist
06-07-2011, 2:01 PM
why deos this have to be on a tuesday? Im not sure if I can make it since its in the middle of the week.
Oaklander If Im able to make I will be late, Ill call ya if I can.

eta: is there a dress code? if not can I show up in a**less chaps?

Anchors
06-07-2011, 2:05 PM
Where's the "I'd love to come but it is a 700 mile round trip for me."

+1

Tonight is ALSO the leadership SF NRA MC meeting... meaning I can't go because I've got to be at the MC meeting at 7pm...

Just a case of bad timing, but the NRA mucky-mucks (and me) will be someplace else at that time.

Both good ways to spend a Tuesday night!

OleCuss
06-07-2011, 2:07 PM
I can't take call from the Bay Area. I'll have to stay here in the Central Valley and complain.

Have a good time!

nicki
06-07-2011, 2:10 PM
Sorry Kev, work eves, can't make it.

Nicki

Stonewalker
06-07-2011, 2:12 PM
Can't make it tonight... on a tight schedule to finish painting the house after work. Could somebody record it though? I'd love to be on the up and up with all the fun. Will a certain winner be attending?

wash
06-07-2011, 2:16 PM
I hope to attend.

I'm sure there will be tales to be told after the summit but what happens in Oak's hotel room stays in Oak's hotel room, recordings will be destroyed.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 2:21 PM
It's in South of Market in SF - chaps are PREFERRED!!!

:43:

why deos this have to be on a tuesday? Im not sure if I can make it since its in the middle of the week.
Oaklander If Im able to make I will be late, Ill call ya if I can.

eta: is there a dress code? if not can I show up in a**less chaps?

oaklander
06-07-2011, 2:22 PM
LOL, just me (Charlie Sheen), no "other" Charlies are allowed!!!

Can't make it tonight... on a tight schedule to finish painting the house after work. Could somebody record it though? I'd love to be on the up and up with all the fun. Will a certain winner be attending?

oaklander
06-07-2011, 2:27 PM
Eeeks!

People come to my parties in the HOPE that everyone will forget what happened!!!!

ptoguy2002
06-07-2011, 2:35 PM
I'm in SoCal, otherwise I would go.

wash
06-07-2011, 3:51 PM
Drive fast.

chiz
06-07-2011, 3:54 PM
LOL, just me (Charlie Sheen), no "other" Charlies are allowed!!!

Does this mean I can't come.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 4:06 PM
LOL - please come (I was talking about another Charlie) - and bring the missus too!!! SierraApril is driving down from Sonora for this - and I don't want a big sausage party!!! Not saying I don't want a sausage party - just not a BIG one!!!

OK - wait - that sounded wrong. I'm just going to put on my buttless chaps and wander around SOMA - what could go wrong????

:43:

ETA: changed thread title - WOOT!!!!!

Does this mean I can't come.

Funtimes
06-07-2011, 4:15 PM
I'd say the worse thing that could happen would be you feel like the Chicago after the SAF / NRA "legal probe" was done with them :P.

Falconis
06-07-2011, 4:20 PM
I'd love to come, but unfortunately other plans were made before i saw this post.

Connor P Price
06-07-2011, 4:25 PM
Damn, I'm at the wrong end of the state and won't finish work till after things have begun.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Cali-V
06-07-2011, 4:28 PM
Can't make it.. but can someone twittie me pics....

taperxz
06-07-2011, 4:29 PM
I'd show up but you would just kick me out once I got there.

chiz
06-07-2011, 4:31 PM
I'll be there but Jen doesn't feel good so she is probably going to stay home.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 4:31 PM
LOL - again - sorry for the super short notice!!!

Folks who come will have to call me on my cell or on the hotel phone to get in to the property - it's very secure!!!

My cell is 415.843.1776

The room is under my name (which I don't post here, but which is in the NFA link below).

If you can't get a hold of me - for any reason - please PM of "facebook" someone who IS coming - and they can give you the coordinates!!!

Will be FUN!!!

oaklander
06-07-2011, 4:32 PM
Send her me and Sierra's love.

I'll be there but Jen doesn't feel good so she is probably going to stay home.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 4:33 PM
I'm always nice to people in real life, although I admit I am a richard here on the forums sometimes. I need to be nicer here too!!!

I'd show up but you would just kick me out once I got there.

berto
06-07-2011, 4:46 PM
It's my anniversary, otherwise I'd be there.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 5:49 PM
In room now with sierraapril. Text me if anyone needs directions

Via Android. Excuse brevity.

redneckshootist
06-07-2011, 5:50 PM
ok now that you changed the title Im grossed out.........:puke: seeing oak in buttless chaps.........

redneckshootist
06-07-2011, 5:56 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=mZS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,12428972134901450302&fb=1&hq=vagabond+inn&hnear=0x80859a6d00690021:0x4a501367f076adff,San+Fr ancisco,+CA&gl=us&daddr=385+9+th+Street,+san+francisco,+CA+94103&geocode=6793548028055097992,37.772818,-122.410242&ei=qsfuTff4LoHAsAOm9en_Bg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQngIwAQ

so the bar next door....... bet Oak is already there and found a "friend";)

taperxz
06-07-2011, 6:00 PM
I'm always nice to people in real life, although I admit I am a richard here on the forums sometimes. I need to be nicer here too!!!

NOT YOU!! but everyone else LOL

erik
06-07-2011, 6:01 PM
Gah. Prior commitment. Hopefully next time.

MudCamper
06-07-2011, 6:10 PM
Poll needs a 3rd option - want to but can't due to the insanely short notice

Spyder
06-07-2011, 6:18 PM
Damnit...this is the first I've seen of this, and I only live an hour and 20 minutes away... Tempting, but if I go, I'll drink...and if I drink, I can't drive home.

oaklander
06-07-2011, 6:57 PM
Got some folks here now getting ready to eat!

tba02
06-07-2011, 7:03 PM
Crap, I just got back to Oakland after departing from SOMA.

Have fun, see you next time.

1911su16b870
06-07-2011, 7:32 PM
:useless:

figured I'ld be the first to post the smilie :D

emcon5
06-07-2011, 7:58 PM
Aren't chaps, by definition, buttless? I f they had a butt, wouldn't they be pants?

Ubermcoupe
06-07-2011, 8:07 PM

Beat me too it... 2nd I guess? ;)

CitaDeL
06-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Aren't chaps, by definition, buttless? If they had a butt, wouldn't they be pants?

I lol'd.

Yes, they would cease to be chaps if in fact, they had a seat covering the tookus.

I could not attend due to distance. Nearly 500 miles round trip. Perhaps we should have regional Calguns meets and get to know one another?

Riodog
06-07-2011, 8:14 PM
I'd be up for it as I'm off thus week but I'd prolly get banned for even showing my face.
Rio

HowardW56
06-07-2011, 8:23 PM
I could not attend due to distance. Nearly 500 miles round trip. Perhaps we should have regional Calguns meets and get to know one another?

:iagree:

It would have been around 700 miles for me...

goober
06-07-2011, 9:10 PM
have fun Oak & Co.!
would love to attend but it aint gonna happen :(

Drivedabizness
06-07-2011, 9:12 PM
Got the inlaws in town tonight...hope I have another chance some time. Enjoy the evening!

BigDogatPlay
06-07-2011, 9:33 PM
Of course there is a grassroots whingding when I have to fly to Vegas in the morning..... guess I better not play the poker slots while I wait for my return flight in the afternoon. My luck apparently sucks.

:)

quick draw mcgraw
06-07-2011, 9:44 PM
I'm just going to put on my buttless chaps and wander around SOMA - what could go wrong????

You could end up holding onto your ankles spelling RUN? real fast over and over and over!!! :eek:

Falconis
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Ehhh sorry I couldnt make it. Northbound 680 traffic and other factors conspired against me.

SierraApril
06-08-2011, 2:13 AM
Sorry for everyone who couldn't be here!! This evening was a total blast!!

Thanks to Elrcastor, Wash, PurpleK, Chiz, RedneckShootist, TBoyer, Michael and Mrs Michael (sorry i can't remember your screen name!) Carlos, Rick and all other partiers!!

Lots of inspirational discussions about 2A issues but...even better...a great chance to hang out with smart, fun people!!!

Looking forward to the next time when - hopefully - even more people will be able to attend!!

Wildeman_13
06-08-2011, 3:09 AM
Sigh... I wanted to come by. But instead I get to sit at work at Mission Center doing damned change controls while you guys got to have all the fun only mere miles away from me. :(

Spyder
06-08-2011, 9:16 AM
And how is everyone feeling this morning, hmmmmmm?

erik
06-08-2011, 9:23 AM
And the verdict is that I would have been better blowing off the other dinner and attending this one. :/

Miclip
06-08-2011, 9:49 AM
Thanks to Elrcastor, Wash, PurpleK, Chiz, RedneckShootist, TBoyer, Michael and Mrs Michael (sorry i can't remember your screen name!) Carlos, Rick and all other partiers!!

Michael = me

Nice to meet you guys, hope it didn't get too messy.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
We wiped off the walls after we were done!

J/k!

Tom was an excellent local guide and we went to some fun places, met some fun people, then had sex with them.

OK that last part was made up. I'll do an after action report when my brain clears up in a bit!

Michael = me

Nice to meet you guys, hope it didn't get too messy.

Wherryj
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Could you add two poll options for "I REALLY don't need to see Oaklander in buttless chaps!", "but as tempting as that is, I will make it anyway"/"but I can't make it due to my schedule"?

wash
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
You all should have been there:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101535&d=1307556192

oaklander
06-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure but I think it's an acronym or something!

:kiss:

You all should have been there:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101535&d=1307556192

EBR Works
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I really wish you guys would have an event like this in SoCal. I would attend in a heartbeat.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 2:31 PM
OK - after-action report!!!!

Ummm. . . I actually don't remember anything - other than that it was FUN!!!!

Nah - seriously - it seems that there were two themes last night, maybe three:

1) The work we ALL do for the grassroots is EPICALLY FUN - you should have heard some of the EPIC war stories that we all shared!!!!!

2) We *are* winning - most of the conversations were about our continuing victories.

3) We all tend to actually LIKE each other - and this sets us apart from many grassroots groups. For example, my understanding of Brady/LCAV is that they don't really "like" what they do, and they likely don't even like each other. They aren't really grassroots, either. So, they contain at least TWO levels of FAIL. We contain WIN.

When you can get 10 or 12 law-abiding gun owners into a leather bar in downtown SF, on six hours notice, and everyone has TOTAL fun - you know we are ALL doing something right. I am simply amazed by how cohesive our coalition really is.

Another theme was "decorum" and "trust." One thing that really stood out about us is that we really do treat other pretty darn good - and we trust each other. This became apparent in the other thread (which is still simmering) where that guy wanted to pay an anonymous lawyer $5000 to screw every gun owner in the state. It's EASY to see who is "off the reservation" - people who don't treat each other with the respect they deserve are NOT part of OUR movement.

Seriously - at one point, we went to someone's house. A "real" hippie like you would see on TV. He was totally cool with the gun stuff - and it struck me that he was cool with guns because people like him appreciate freedoms. We live in a good time, we are doing good work, with good people - NOBODY can ask for anything more than this.

It is perfect in every way. . .

ETA: the real star was SierraApril, who drove 140 miles to see me, on zero notice - simply because I was missing her. She is also perfect, in every way!!!!

wash
06-08-2011, 2:39 PM
There was also the discussion of power tools and Zen.

We all discovered that we side with power tools.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 3:24 PM
Wow! You have a good memory!

That was a surreal conversation. . . The whole evening was surreal - which is JUST THE WAY I LIKE THINGS!!!

There was also the discussion of power tools and Zen.

We all discovered that we side with power tools.

wash
06-08-2011, 3:39 PM
Another detail I remember is the Patel incident. That was inconvenient but funny.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 4:52 PM
Yes.

And the takeaway from that is that even someone as random as me remembers that no matter what I am doing, or where I am, - I am always conscious of the fact that I "represent."

For those other 50,990 people who were not there - the incident involved a hotel policy that I did not like. At first, I was somewhat "supercilious" - then I realized that the correct way to handle things is to be "cooperative and friendly."

That approach makes everyone happy!!!

There was also the poor man (not good to use outside names on a public forum) at one of the clubs. He seemed very unhappy - and a little aggressive - and my first impression of him was that he was somewhat at risk (not from us, but from others). This was due to his erratic behavior.

As a group, we did the right thing, which is we were friendly to him, and welcomed him to party with us. He ended up settling down, and really took a liking to Sierra and me. In a sense, we actually protected him. I like it when people do the right thing!!!

This is not a spurious analysis - as you may know - I was a professional bar "bouncer" for several years when I was MUCH younger. I know exactly how things can turn ugly - and I know the signs.

In fact, I use that same "dark skill" to gauge whether various folks in the 2A movement are "rational" OR are "potential problems."

Again - the Charlie N. incident is a prime example of that. I could tell, just from the way he was responding to people that he was demonstrating a lack of maturity that can cause all sorts of random problems for the 2A movement here in CA.

Again (and I am NOT using the word literally) "NEVER be the craziest person in the room."

Except for me - I'm allowed to act silly - since you - especially - know - it's a front - and I am damn serious when I need to be!!!!!

(and it's rare that I actually NEED to be serious)

Another detail I remember is the Patel incident. That was inconvenient but funny.

Saigon1965
06-08-2011, 5:02 PM
Oh man - How did I miss this - Not checking in often enough -

oaklander
06-08-2011, 5:15 PM
My fault too!!!!

Next time I will give people more than 6 hours notice!!!!

Oh man - How did I miss this - Not checking in often enough -

wash
06-08-2011, 5:35 PM
You've got some crazy social responsibility gene or something.

That guy was old enough to know better and chemically altered on a Tuesday night.

For me, that says he's looking for trouble and he might have been happy to find it.

Maybe he will find it next week?

You definitely have the moral high ground here, I just don't put effort in to stopping things that look inevitable.

Maybe I like a little Zen with my power tools.

Saigon1965
06-08-2011, 5:37 PM
Mass texting or email from your phone man -

My fault too!!!!

Next time I will give people more than 6 hours notice!!!!

Window_Seat
06-08-2011, 5:42 PM

No butts required, right?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/trucknetter/buttlesschapstick.jpg

An imagination is a terrible thing to waste... :D

Erik.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 6:28 PM
LOL - I wasn't always so nice. . .

One of the reasons I went back to junior college (and eventually law school) was that I saw my life taking one of TWO directions. The "other" path would not have been good!!!

Sometimes, other people are not as blessed as we ALL have been. Our correct response is compassion, and not fear.

Dang - now I'm all serious and stuff!!! That will HAVE TO STOP!!!

:)

You've got some crazy social responsibility gene or something.

That guy was old enough to know better and chemically altered on a Tuesday night.

For me, that says he's looking for trouble and he might have been happy to find it.

Maybe he will find it next week?

You definitely have the moral high ground here, I just don't put effort in to stopping things that look inevitable.

Maybe I like a little Zen with my power tools.

oaklander
06-08-2011, 6:31 PM
LOL - Sierra was teasing me - I TRIED (but failed) to set up a new Twitter account - just for parties. Long story - bottom line is that I need an "intermediate computer" - kind of an "assault computer" that I use when I am traveling.

My little phone is too hard to type on - and my laptop is a PITA to actually carry around on the bike. . .

I now know why GH likes his iPad. . .

Me = WANT.

Mass texting or email from your phone man -

tboyer
06-13-2011, 3:53 PM
OK - after-action report!!!!

Seriously - at one point, we went to someone's house. A "real" hippie like you would see on TV. He was totally cool with the gun stuff - and it struck me that he was cool with guns because people like him appreciate [
A "real" GAY hippie, that lived above a gay leather bar named KOK,
who had the experience of having lived on gay hippie communes.

oaklander
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes - that was actually the "high" point of the evening for me!!!

I loved talking to him and realizing that he and "us" hold the same ideas about freedom. It's actually very American to think that way - and I have respect for people who hold freedom in high esteem, etc. . .

Like US - and like HIM!!!

A "real" GAY hippie, that lived above a gay leather bar named KOK,
who had the experience of having lived on gay hippie communes.