View Full Version : Help on Length of Pull

06-07-2011, 9:14 AM
I've read: The “Joe Average” length of pull is around 14 ” to 14 ”, and that’s the length of pull for most off-the-rack shotguns. A man who is 6’3” might need a 15 ” or 15 ” length of pull. A 5’2” lady might need a 13 ” length of pull.

Bill Hanus says:
The critical dimension in judging the correct LOP for an individual is that there should be about one inch to an inch-and-a-quarter of space between the thumb and nose when the gun is mounted, cheeked and ready to fire. This is a measurement that you can't make on yourself, but is one easily made by someone else. This is the one constant -- in a sea of variables that will be the same if you are measuring your son, daughter, wife or shooting buddy. But circumstances alter cases.

I've also watched this:

Ok, I'm 6'0" tall, avg face (although unusually handsome) and build (except the gut part). When I mount guns (several) who have 14.25/14.50 LOP, it seems I'm waaaaay off the mark in the video (about four fingers) unless I really stretch my neck/face up close to my thumb nuckle. I have a good stance and I'm leaning onto my lead leg (left).

But, when I measure using the "nest it in your forearm - to trigger finger technique", it seems fine.

I know there's not enough info here to really make a call but whatever experiences or insight you can lend as to why my nose seems so far away from my thumb nuckle would be appreciated

06-07-2011, 9:54 AM
I found that fit is more important than LOP for me. Even if I have the correct LOP, I can't shoot comfortably unless I have the right comb drop. Every person is different. I'm 5'7" and most of my stocks have a 13" length of pull.

06-07-2011, 10:07 AM
13", wow. Most all the guns I've shouldered have been 14+". About how much do you pay for the adjustments?

06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm 5'8" and prefer 12LOP. I like it really short. The issue for me is not having to blade my body too much to reach to the front hand guard and work the action. It really helps out when running and gunning to have a shorter stock. I want to have a really nice solid and somewhat squared off platform for the shotgun to recoil against. Especially when I am moving while shooting. I have found that in doing so, the felt recoil is dramatically reduced compared to shooting a factory shotgun with the longer stock. Because with the longer stock less of my weight (muscle and skeletal structure) is behind the shotgun, so it knocks me back more and effects me more. The more of "you" there is directly behind the shotgun the less you feel it and the faster you will get back on target to continue the fight. Hunters who are used to standing still and taking a shot and are used to the factory LOP find the tactical setup very awkward at first and sort of refuse to even try it or give it shot. You can always spot these guys. They are the ones who when looking at an M4gery pull the adjustable stock all the way to the rear instead of leaving it on the first or second notch. No matter how much trouble that longer stock is giving them during training, they refuse to adjust it forward. Something about moving their face closer to the receiver subconsciously freaks them out. It is kind of funny to watch them trying to walk and work the shotgun with their body radically canted sideways because of their LOP is too long and they have to contort themselves in order to work the action. It is especially amusing if you are a convert and remember doing the exact same thing when you were new. Sort of a remember when moment. When you tell them that moving their adjustable stock forward a few notches they shake their heads and tell you the "like it the way it is". Nevermind that they are tripping all over themselves. Not everyone of course, the freakishly tall can handle a factory LOP. But this segment of the population does not include all those who think they fit into that category. But again. Hunting needs are different than running and gunning needs. If you have the luxury of standing straight up in one place while taking a while to lead your target just right...then it is a lot less of an issue.

Adjustable stocks are nice for this in that you can try out the different LOPs. However, since I know what LOP I want I personally like the Hogue 12" LOP stock for the Mossberg 5XXs and Remington 870s.

06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe I should add that my application is for trap/skeet shooting.

06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
The LOP veries with what kind of shooting you do. My coach prefers a short LOP for skeet, he likes the gun to sit in front of him instead of a big angle to the side. I on the other hand shoots a 14 1/2" LOP and at 5-8 it might be a little long for me but I'm comfortable shooting it.

The one big drawback to too long of a gun is the view of vision. If the stock is too long then the angle of the gun has to be at 45* or greater compare to your shoulders. The head is cocked the same amont so sometimes its hard to rotate the body because you've been compacted to one side of your body. That'll affect your swing of the shotgun.

06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
LOP is just one part of fit, and it can / does indeed vary with shooting disciplines. A gun that is set up for HD is (likely) not going to make a solid trap gun, for instance. A solid, repeatable fit is (to me) the foundation of clays shooting. Good fit can help a novice or average shooter improve through consistency of mechanics. It's that consistency that makes scores grow.

LOP, drop at comb and heel, cast and pitch all factor in. If the OP is anything more than casual about clays a trip with his gun(s) of choice to a fitter is a must.