PDA

View Full Version : Video: Sacramento County CCW Approvals on the Rise

Lead-Thrower
06-07-2011, 6:32 AM
http://www.kcra.com/video/28152873/detail.html

This was aired last night on KCRA. Overall, I think they did a good job of covering the story.

repr patriot
06-07-2011, 6:39 AM
Good report.
I am just waiting for my appt in September after signing up in February...

ccmc
06-07-2011, 6:46 AM
Good report.
I am just waiting for my appt in September after signing up in February...

Sorry for some stupid questions, but I don't live in CA. What is the purpose of the appointment? Don't you just submit an application and they do a background check? Do you have to have an appointment just to submit an application, or do you submit an application and have an appointment to review it? February to September seems like a long time. What is happening during that time period?

epilepticninja
06-07-2011, 6:52 AM
I believe this article goes along with the video:

http://www.kcra.com/news/28152574/detail.html

Not sure who Rebecca Gonzales is, but she should educate herself on a what it takes to get a CCW permit in Sac Co and the training required. Also, whoever is in the video handling the pistola needs to keep their finger off the trigger and quit muzzling the person on the other side of the counter. Props to Sheriff Jones for keeping his word.

CitaDeL
06-07-2011, 6:56 AM
Sorry for some stupid questions, but I don't live in CA. What is the purpose of the appointment? Don't you just submit an application and they do a background check? Do you have to have an appointment just to submit an application, or do you submit an application and have an appointment to review it? February to September seems like a long time. What is happening during that time period?

What is the purpose of the appointment? That would be for the interview.
Don't you just submit an application and they do a background check? Yes to both. But they want to talk to their applicants too.
Do you have to have an appointment just to submit an application, or do you submit an application and have an appointment to review it? I believe the application is submitted first, then the interview with the deputy comes later.
What is happening during that time period? You are waiting for the Sheriff's dept to work through their backlog.

Andy Taylor
06-07-2011, 7:07 AM

You set an appt to submit the application. During the appt a detective interviews you and reviews your good cause statement, and determines if you have good moral character. You pay the first $20 in fees. Your application then goes to a commitee who reviews your application and the detectives notes. They decide whether or not they are willing to issue you a permit, if you pass the criminal background check. If the commitee approves your application you then go get fingerprinted (fingerprinting costs $122) and wait for that clearence. Once you have clearance you set a second appt. At somepoint prior to the second appt you must take a 16 hour class and qualify with the weapons (this cost varies, but starts around $110) you want listed on the permit. Guns are listed by serial number and you can have a maximum of three. At the second appt you give them proof of training and the list of guns you qualified with. You sign and place a thumbprint on the actual permit. You also pay the remaining $80 in fees. The permit is mailed to you certified mail. You must requalify with your weapons once a year and renew your permit every two years. To do this you must take a 4 hour class.

This is Sacramento County. Sacramento does accept most applications. Every county in CA is different. Some don't have quite so many hoops, but some just reject every application no matter what. Some just issue to friends, campeign contributors, or other connected persons.

As far as the lead time from scheduling the first appt to submiting the application, you are just waiting. Prior to Oct 2010 Sacramento was one of the countys that only issued to friends and connected persons. In 2008 they approved 12 permits. So far in 2011 they have approved over 800. They are just that backlogged. Enventually they will get caught up and it won't be such a delay.

Stonewalker
06-07-2011, 7:33 AM
hm... they failed to mention the lawsuit. More people did not just coincidentally start applying for CCW in Sac, it was a well-known fact that only the chosen few would get them prior to Jone's election.