PDA

View Full Version : Thread Delete?

PanzerAce
12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Could we have the ability to delete our threads? a recent thread that was edited brought this to mind again.

SemiAutoSam
12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Yes I would 2nd this motion if it came to a vote and Kest would consider letting us have this control.

A user on FalFiles can delete the threads he starts.

So there is a precedent out there.

Joe
12-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't think we should be able to delete our own threads because most threads get filled with useful information that people contributed. It doesn't make sense that the thread starter can just delete the thread and all the info that goes along with it.

rkt88edmo
12-15-2006, 1:10 PM
Threads do get deleted at the original posters request.

Just let the people who mod that forum know.

Think twice, post once :D

Maybe that will change and you will be able to delete your own, but just know that there are other options.

VeryCoolCat
12-15-2006, 2:34 PM
I don't think we should be able to delete our own threads because most threads get filled with useful information that people contributed. It doesn't make sense that the thread starter can just delete the thread and all the info that goes along with it.

Nobody would delete, old informative posts... just copies or ones that turn into a racism flame fest.

grammaton76
12-15-2006, 3:39 PM
The problem with allowing random users to delete threads, is that you never know WHY someone's going to delete stuff.

Say, for example, we have a guy who believe the military should drop the M4 for the SKS, and deletes and re-posts his thread any time a differing opinion is advanced? Creates great opportunity for obnoxiousness.

Deletion by request to mods provides the necessary "idiot filter" to ensure that the ability to delete threads can't get abused by the less-than-1% of the membership who would do so.

xenophobe
12-15-2006, 4:55 PM
I think that threads should not be deletable. There should also be a time limit for editing your post, like 30 minutes. People need to be held accountable for what they say, instead of starting a flame fest, then editing their trollish behavior after a few people have 'chimed in'. Yes, vbulletin can easily be configured to do so.

Exceptions? The classifieds, users should be able to delete their threads and edit their thread titles.

Guinness
12-15-2006, 5:37 PM
The problem with allowing random users to delete threads, is that you never know WHY someone's going to delete stuff.

Say, for example, we have a guy who believe the military should drop the M4 for the SKS, and deletes and re-posts his thread any time a differing opinion is advanced? Creates great opportunity for obnoxiousness.

Deletion by request to mods provides the necessary "idiot filter" to ensure that the ability to delete threads can't get abused by the less-than-1% of the membership who would do so.

At first I was for this, as of recent I've had Kest delete a few post for me. But I can see where you are coming from with this, so now I kinda agree - as long as the Mods dont mind the extra work...

grammaton76
12-15-2006, 5:38 PM
At first I was for this, as of recent I've had Kest delete a few post for me. But I can see where you are coming from with this, so now I kinda agree - as long as the Mods dont mind the extra work...

I for one certainly don't mind, and if anyone needs to get ahold of me quickly... well, there's a reason my AIM/Yahoo IM is listed. :)

ivanimal
12-16-2006, 12:20 AM
I dont mint if Gram does more work.:D

Seriously we look at every thread anyhow, it is not a problem to update or delete a thread. Just ask.