PDA

View Full Version : 22 years old. Weird if I request ride-along?

Dreaded Claymore
06-06-2011, 2:55 PM
Like it says, I am 22 years old. Can I go on ride-alongs?

I don't know why I think this, but I have the idea that they are mostly for teenagers exploring career options, and that it would be frowned upon for someone as old as I am to request one.

yzernie
06-06-2011, 3:23 PM
Absolutely not frowned upon...at least at my dept. We have folks of all ages on ride-a-longs.

Jonathan Doe
06-06-2011, 5:00 PM
When I was working patrol assignment, I had many ride-alongs with older people. 22 is not bad at all.

Roddd
06-06-2011, 5:08 PM
Do it man, you'll have fun. We have people of all ages do it. Pick a busy area to go out in and go at night.

707electrician
06-06-2011, 5:10 PM
I requested a ride along with Petaluma PD and they wouldn't let me because I wasn't in the academy or CJ class

fullrearview
06-06-2011, 5:15 PM
Not at all!

Spanky8601
06-06-2011, 5:17 PM
I requested a ride along with Petaluma PD and they wouldn't let me because I wasn't in the academy or CJ class

Each agency has their own rules, regarding ride alongs. Feel free to contact other agencies, the worst you can do is receive a no answer. It won't cost you anything.

TRICKSTER
06-06-2011, 5:49 PM
Some agencies limit ride alongs to applicants only. You just need to check around.

Dreaded Claymore
06-06-2011, 8:43 PM
Anyone know how the Livermore PD feels? How about Pleasanton, Dublin, or Tracy?

The reason I started this thread in the first place is that I'm going through something of an identity crisis and am considering a career in law enforcement.

And I bet a ride-along would be fun anyway.

yzernie
06-06-2011, 9:17 PM
BS cause I started a thread like this a while ago and no one from the LEO section wanted anything to do with ride alongs.....so if your dept is so open to it i want to go too!
The topic in the other thread was induvidual officer's opinions, not necessarily the opinions or policies of the(ir) departments.

Unfortunately, you don't live within the jurisdiction I work in so a ride-a-long for you is not possible at my station. Try more locations closer to you.

ckim34
06-07-2011, 6:25 AM
Anyone know how the Livermore PD feels? How about Pleasanton, Dublin, or Tracy?

The reason I started this thread in the first place is that I'm going through something of an identity crisis and am considering a career in law enforcement.

And I bet a ride-along would be fun anyway.

Just call the PDs you have listed above. Simple as that.

Andy Taylor
06-07-2011, 6:43 AM
I've done ride alongs with Sac County and CHP. I was significantly older than you are now when I did so.

RedFord150
06-07-2011, 8:08 AM
I applied to the LASD back in 1985. I passed the written and physical agility tests. I believe I failed the oral interview because they asked me if I had ever gone on a 'Ride Along' and I said no. The interviewers really 'dwelled' on the fact I was applying for a job as an LEO and I had never bothered to see what the job was actually like.
I quit pursuing a job in LE because I discovered after the oral interview that my uncorrected eyesight was below the 20/70 required at that time. I believe that today the eyesight requirement is not as strict.
Definitely find a PD that will take you on a ride along and enjoy the experience.

retired
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I applied to the LASD back in 1985. I passed the written and physical agility tests. I believe I failed the oral interview because they asked me if I had ever gone on a 'Ride Along' and I said no. The interviewers really 'dwelled' on the fact I was applying for a job as an LEO and I had never bothered to see what the job was actually like.
I quit pursuing a job in LE because I discovered after the oral interview that my uncorrected eyesight was below the 20/70 required at that time. I believe that today the eyesight requirement is not as strict.
Definitely find a PD that will take you on a ride along and enjoy the experience.

Yep, that was one of the questions we asked during the oral.

Now that Lasik and other procedures are available, more and more people have had that done to ensure they pass the eye requirements.

RedFord150
06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yep, that was one of the questions we asked during the oral.....

What can I say? I guess I am not the 'sharpest tool in the wood shed' ;-).
All kidding aside, I really learned a lot from just going through the process. I wish I had been a little more committed at the time.

PositiveInfluence
06-07-2011, 7:36 PM
I am 22 and have gone on multiple ride along's with multiple departments in my area.

Dreaded Claymore
06-07-2011, 9:40 PM
What can I say? I guess I am not the 'sharpest tool in the wood shed' ;-).
All kidding aside, I really learned a lot from just going through the process. I wish I had been a little more committed at the time.

Off-topic: The first time my eyes skimmed this, I thought it said, "I wish I had committed a little more crime." :rofl:

Dreaded Claymore
06-07-2011, 9:42 PM
Just call the PDs you have listed above. Simple as that.

Will do.

Notorious
06-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I went on my first ride along as a 18 year old college kid doing a research project. The officer I rode with is now chief of that department. How cool is that?

Dreaded Claymore
06-10-2011, 9:37 PM
Went to the Livermore PD, filled out the form. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to watch them confront Walter for UOC again, hahaha. :D

vintagearms
06-10-2011, 9:49 PM
I went on my first ride-a-long when I was 30 and then went into the academy at 36. Never to old.

ct126x
07-01-2011, 8:00 AM
I am 22 and have gone on multiple ride along's with multiple departments in my area.

I see that you're in Sacramento and that you been in ride alongs with different departments. If you don't mind, can you tell me which departments? I live in San Francisco, do I have to be a Sacramento resident to do the ride along?

Went to the Livermore PD, filled out the form. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to watch them confront Walter for UOC again, hahaha. :D

How was the process? After filling out the form, is it guaranteed that you get to go on a ride along? Is there a wait time for it as well?