PDA

View Full Version : Bad dealers aside, is shooting in Ca doomed and why?

Ubergeek
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
... the title of that post on dealers who charge too much in transfer fees has got me wondering.

I get the impression that the shooting sports have been in decline here (since I started shooting several decades ago - with fewer gun shops, and fewer sporting goods stores carrying firearms). To a limited extent, I blame legislation, but to a greater extent - the cultural shift in America.

What say all of you?

hoffmang
12-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I think the OLL craze has done a lot to re-invigorate shooting in CA. I've personally gotten 3 people into owning and shooting rifles who hadn't been before all of this.

One has become a nut (he hates moles) and frequents this board :D

-Gene

DB2
12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Change of culture.

No so much anti- view of firearms, but a non believer point of view. Alot of people anymore don't believe guns are necessary, in a hunting,sporting or a defensive way. Therefore they don't teach there children about them or show them any interested about them. My Dad is a Vietnam Vet, But he never took me out shooting when I was young, and only taught me "don't touch guns in the house". Now he's always wanting to see what I have aquired. Unless one gains an interest in firearms and wants to keep it as a hobby, I almost feel they (firearms) are forgotten about.

And today in this age, how many people have time to pick up a new hobby?

Corky43
12-15-2006, 1:21 PM
I agree with that DB2. My father did the same with me, here they are, see them! Now, don't touch them unless you ask. Being around guns prevented me from falling into the ignorant trap that Non-gun owners fall into.

I personally have made it a point to introduce new friends and acquaintances to shooting as soon as they know I am a shooter. Taking them out to our range and having them plink at swingers with 22s goes a lot farther than trying to argue the merits of gun ownership.

I am a dedicated member of the Boy Scouts and I am always introducing new scouts to shooting. They in turn discuss their experience at school and to their friends. I can recall 4 specific instances where new scouts were recruited by other scouts through discussions about being able to shoot guns, Archery, Fishing etc.

My bottom line is that I may or may not Need guns, but I want them and enjoy shooting. I steer wide from conversations where the topic is self-defense and guns. Its a loosing conversation with those that are ignorant.

jumbopanda
12-15-2006, 2:32 PM
I'd give the private ownership of firearms 50 more years, and that's me being VERY optimistic...

With all the talk of international gun control and so many anti-gun people in this country, I don't know much longer we can hold out. And it's not just a matter of democrats vs. republicans either, since there are many anti-gun republicans (take Rudy Guliani for example). I also blame the whole "gangsta" and mall-ninja culture that seems to be so popular today. Irresponsible firearms use gives all gun-owners a bad name.

I hope I'm wrong though...

johnny_22
12-15-2006, 2:38 PM
At the ones I have attended, they are always full, and no one leaves hating guns and shooting.

As long as we encourage potential shooters to take the classes to learn, the sport in California will survive. The instructors I have had and seen have incredible patience; just what the new shooter needs.

Turbinator
12-16-2006, 7:23 AM
I personally have made it a point to introduce new friends and acquaintances to shooting as soon as they know I am a shooter. Taking them out to our range and having them plink at swingers with 22s goes a lot farther than trying to argue the merits of gun ownership.

This guy's got the right idea - as enthusiasts, it is our job to actively look for and seek other people who could be potential candidates for responsible gun ownership. I still look for people to bring to the range for first time shoots - even if they don't turn out to be hobbyists, at least people get some positive exposure and education on the topic. Other than walking into a range and asking for help, or doing some online research, there aren't too many outlets available to learn about target shooting and such without feeling too intimidated. It behooves us to secure the next generation of responsible shooters so that we can all enjoy our hobby safely.

Turby

Richie Rich
12-16-2006, 9:05 PM
Doing my small part to keep shooting alive.

My brother... From neutral to shooter and gun owner.

My girlfriend... Pro gun to gun owner and regular shooter.

Her Brother... From Anti to gun owner..

Her cousin #1... From slightly anti to a guy who now has more guns then me.

Her cousin #2 and his girlfriend... Neutral to future gun owners

Her parents, gun owners who had not been to the range in years, now semi regular shooters.

My parents. Neutral to getting more interested in having a firearm or two. Have yet to get them to go shooting with us but I am working on it.

Also got several of my co workers interested, have not taken them shooting yet. Found out while having a conversation about flashlights the other day that my boss is a gun owner and regular shooter. Now guns are a normal topic of conversation around the office.

I do not hide my hobby from anyone, there is nothing illegal or immoral about being an active shooter or firearms owner. I talk about guns the same way that others talk about golf or fishing. Just normal "what did you do this weekend" chat.

If more "normal" people openly discussed firearms and shooting, were willing to listen to and explain things to non shooters and would take people out to squeeze off a few, we would not be fighting the uphill battle that we seem to be faced with. Talking about your new rifle, optics or that you managed to get the holes to touch at 100yrds for the first time would be as regular water cooler chat as someone bragging about a subpar game, the big trout they caught or the belt they attained in their karate class.

Pthfndr
12-16-2006, 9:22 PM
Pretty much everyone I know owns multiple firearms, including those I work with. Even the women. Attendance at all the various matches I shoot is constantly growing. We (me and the Sac Valley range) just a few months ago restarted our junior smallbore matches due to demand.

This past summer SVSC held a special shotgun match for juniors. Over 250 kids participated! Almost double what was originally anticipated.

The last 2 years the state DFG gave out record numbers of deer tags.

I don't think shooting sports are on a decline in CA. I just think that with the enormous state population a smaller percentage participate than used to.

The Soup Nazi
12-16-2006, 9:43 PM
I was the one to actually turn my dad to guns. (since you know, him being the one controlling funding, there was little alternative other than degrading myself by pumping lemonade and wearing a fruity uniform at Hot Dog on a Stick) I'm looking to take some of my friends out shooting one day, and with some of my like minded friends, I plan on taking them out to the store to see if we can't set them up with a firearm once we're of age. Doesn't look too good though, most of the school is anti gun and pretty liberalized. (My anarchist friend blames the public education system)

I blame a lot of it on my own generation's sense of entitlement to everything and lack of concern or situational awareness. Sounding like a grandparent from an Eastern Bloc country, but I'll also point the finger at the lack of hardship we've had to endure, and the lack of Rousseau's concept of letting children be children and learning things for themselves.

Prc329
12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
About a 18 months ago I was very much anti-gunner and so was my wife. After we had our daughter I thought a lot more about how to protect my family. I looked into guns and began reading all I could about laws and looking threw these forums. I also began looking at what I wanted in a gun. After a lengthy discussion with my wife and one with Robert at Turners in Signal Hill, I purchased my first handgun. A Springfield XD-9 with a 4in barrel. I never looked back since. I even brought a few coworkers and my in-laws, brother-in-law along for the ride.

I do not think shooting is dead in California. If anything I think more people are beginning to see that as long as you give guys the respect they deserve shooting can be very fun and safe.

The family that shoots together, stays together.

KenpoProfessor
12-16-2006, 10:11 PM
I was the one to actually turn my dad to guns. (since you know, him being the one controlling funding, there was little alternative other than degrading myself by pumping lemonade and wearing a fruity uniform at Hot Dog on a Stick) I'm looking to take some of my friends out shooting one day, and with some of my like minded friends, I plan on taking them out to the store to see if we can't set them up with a firearm once we're of age. Doesn't look too good though, most of the school is anti gun and pretty liberalized. (My anarchist friend blames the public education system)

I blame a lot of it on my own generation's sense of entitlement to everything and lack of concern or situational awareness. Sounding like a grandparent from an Eastern Bloc country, but I'll also point the finger at the lack of hardship we've had to endure, and the lack of Rousseau's concept of letting children be children and learning things for themselves.

I gotta say, everytime I see your posts concerning issues like this I see hope somewhere in your generation, and I know all is not lost to disparity. Please, continue to do what you do, and run for public office as soon as you're of age, we could use the help LOL.

And now for the original post: I take new shooters to the range everytime I have the oppurtunity, and it seems the range is always full when I go. That tells me it ain't dead, in fact, I believe it's on an upward trend.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

elsolo
12-17-2006, 12:31 PM
We have more shooting sports options than most other places in the world.

I can shoot my choice of IPSC matches every Sat and Sun of every weekend, year round. I could shoot 3-gun almost every weekend in socal.

You play different games? I bet there is no shortage of sporting clays, hipower rifle, etc.

krby
12-18-2006, 5:23 AM
This guy's got the right idea - as enthusiasts, it is our job to actively look for and seek other people who could be potential candidates for responsible gun ownership. I still look for people to bring to the range for first time shoots - even if they don't turn out to be hobbyists, at least people get some positive exposure and education on the topic.

This is my little bit of activism as well. I used to feel firearms were a "verboten" topic, now I'm pretty open about it. I've taken a few work buddys to the range, answered a few a questions and such. I think one of the biggest value is just being seen as a normal and reasonable person (well, somewhat) who also shoots. Be approachable, answer questions, offer to take them to the range.