PDA

View Full Version : Going to Yosemite. Can I carry??? Gun/Knife

BayAreaShooter
06-06-2011, 1:42 PM
I will be going to Yosemite in the near future and believe I can carry. If so is it Unloaded Open Carry only or can I carry Loaded Open Carry? Can I carry Concealed? Is there a difference with carrying in my campsite or outside my camp site? I am also wondering about a fixed blade knife. I would assume a fixed blade would be perfectly legal to carry there. Would I be right in saying this? Can the knife be concealed or do you have to have it openly displayed at all times? Anything else I should know before going? Sorry for all the questions but just need to get some basic guidelines. Thanks.

paul0660
06-06-2011, 1:49 PM
Basic guidelines are the Park uses California law in regard to these issues. I suggest checking the wiki.

Decoligny
06-06-2011, 2:01 PM
I will be going to Yosemite in the near future and believe I can carry. If so is it Unloaded Open Carry only or can I carry Loaded Open Carry? Can I carry Concealed? Is there a difference with carrying in my campsite or outside my camp site? I am also wondering about a fixed blade knife. I would assume a fixed blade would be perfectly legal to carry there. Would I be right in saying this? Can the knife be concealed or do you have to have it openly displayed at all times? Anything else I should know before going? Sorry for all the questions but just need to get some basic guidelines. Thanks.

1. If so is it UOC? Yes. Discharge of a firearm is prohibited in Yosemite. Therefore UOC not LOC.

2. Can I carry Concealed? Only in your campsite unless you have a CCW. Also realize that the Concealed Carry exception for in a campsite does not carry an automatic expection for 12031, so while you can conceal it while at your campsite, you must have it unloaded unless actually inside your tent (your temp domicile).

3. Can I carry a fixed blade knife? Yes.

4. Can I conceal a fixed blade knife? No, this could result in felony charges.

Sutcliffe
06-06-2011, 2:02 PM
Guns in National Parks are a serious issue and will have very little to do with state law. It may be changing soon, but National Parks are some kind of sanctuary and I'm pretty certain it is zero tolerance.

BayAreaShooter
06-06-2011, 2:04 PM
1. If so is it UOC? Yes. Discharge of a firearm is prohibited in Yosemite. Therefore UOC not LOC.

2. Can I carry Concealed? Only in your campsite unless you have a CCW. Also realize that the Concealed Carry exception for in a campsite does not carry an automatic expection for 12031, so while you can conceal it while at your campsite, you must have it unloaded unless actually inside your tent (your temp domicile).

3. Can I carry a fixed blade knife? Yes.

Thank you. Do I actually have to have the firearm with/on me to have it loaded in my tent. Can I load it and leave it in my tent as I do things around the campsite?

Decoligny
06-06-2011, 2:11 PM
Guns in National Parks are a serious issue and will have very little to do with state law. It may be changing soon, but National Parks are some kind of sanctuary and I'm pretty certain it is zero tolerance.

You probably need to get more up to date on the law.

They changed it a while back so that the National Parks are now allowing carry of firearms as long as you comply with the applicable state laws concerning carrying guns.

Decoligny
06-06-2011, 2:12 PM
Thank you. Do I actually have to have the firearm with/on me to have it loaded in my tent. Can I load it and leave it in my tent as I do things around the campsite?

I believe that if you are present, and the gun is inside the tent, then your tent is treated just like your house.

Andy Taylor
06-06-2011, 2:17 PM

That is no longer the case. Federal law now says that state law is the guideline in NPs. This changed a couple of years ago.

paul0660
06-06-2011, 2:30 PM
Remember if you do UOC in a Park you will run into many people who believe as Sutcliffe does, and will eventually be an object of official interest.

BayAreaShooter
06-06-2011, 2:34 PM
Remember if you do UOC in a Park you will run into many people who believe as Sutcliffe does, and will eventually be an object of official interest.

Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely just be bringing a firearm and leaving it in the tent just in case. I will be going with many people I do not know so I do not know how they would react/act if I were to carry. I will be bringing a holster and belt just in case they have the same interest as me. :D I cant imagine going camping without a firearm. Seems irresponsible to me as there will be children there and I would like to be able to protect the everyone at our campsite from anything that might arise.

Sutcliffe
06-06-2011, 2:38 PM
Thanks for the update. Leads me to a question about backpackers. Does their campsite constitute a residence and can they carry on wilderness trails, areas?

paul0660
06-06-2011, 2:41 PM
Depends on what kind of park. In state parks, only CCW permit holders can have guns outside of unlocked cases, unless you are at your campsite. In National parks, as above, you can be anywhere in the park UOC except for posted Federal Buildings and school zones (and there are some). You can have a loaded gun, concealed, in your campsite. Decoligny says only in the tent, that is a new one on me.

CHS
06-06-2011, 3:27 PM
3. Can I carry a fixed blade folding knife? Yes.

Fixed it for you :)

jwkincal
06-06-2011, 3:33 PM
Depends on what kind of park. In state parks, only CCW permit holders can have guns outside of unlocked cases, unless you are at your campsite. In National parks, as above, you can be anywhere in the park UOC except for posted Federal Buildings and school zones (and there are some). You can have a loaded gun, concealed, in your campsite. Decoligny says only in the tent, that is a new one on me.

Does anyone know where this is actually specified? (i.e. that the "your campsite is your home" from PC1202* trumps Cal State Park's/County Regional Park's whomever's rules)

It seems on the face of it that should be the case (if it is your "home" it is protected) but I have never found a specific authoritative source that would be sufficient to show to someone needing clarification.

Decoligny
06-06-2011, 3:56 PM
Fixed it for you :)

What exactly needed fixing?

The OP asked specifically two knife questions.

1. I am also wondering about a fixed blade knife. I would assume a fixed blade would be perfectly legal to carry there. Would I be right in saying this?

Answer: Yes, you would be right in saying that you would be perfectly legal to carry a FIXED BLADE there.

2. Can the knife be concealed or do you have to have it openly displayed at all times?

Answer: The knife cannot be concealed as concealing a fixed blade knife would violate Penal Code 12020 (a) (4), and could result in a felony charge.

GrizzlyGuy
06-06-2011, 4:03 PM
I know you didn't ask about these, but make sure that you leave your bear spray, BB guns and pellet guns at home. Those are prohibited at Yosemite (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm), even though real guns aren't prohibited.

Inyoite
06-06-2011, 4:10 PM
Does anyone know where this is actually specified? (i.e. that the "your campsite is your home" from PC1202* trumps Cal State Park's/County Regional Park's whomever's rules)

It seems on the face of it that should be the case (if it is your "home" it is protected) but I have never found a specific authoritative source that would be sufficient to show to someone needing clarification.

United States vs. Gooch, I believe.

Markinsac
06-06-2011, 4:15 PM
If you do have a CCW, remember that you cannot carry in any of the Federal buildings on the property.

MudCamper
06-06-2011, 6:02 PM

All answers for this topic have been hashed to death in the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread.

JaeFern
06-06-2011, 6:12 PM
I was there during the memorial day weekend. I UOC while there and LOC in my tent. No one even gave me any funny looks. I was outside one of the ranger stations looking at a map while a buddy was inside getting some wilderness permits when a ranger came up and asked if I had any questions. I told him it was my birthday and asked if he would suggest any routes for the current weather condition. He noticed my gun and asked if he could see it. After inspecting it he asked how I got an XDm so I proceeded to explain the single shot exemption. I then told him about Calguns, he thanked me for the information and wished me a happy birthday.

Anonymous Coward
06-06-2011, 6:20 PM
Why not LUCC (locked unloaded concealed carry)? You're probably carrying a backpack anyway and you can just get a lock for one of the compartments with the unloaded gun in it. That's better than leaving a gun in the tent IMO.

jwkincal
06-06-2011, 7:04 PM
All answers for this topic have been hashed to death in the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread.

I have a bookmark to your thread. Have for months now. Awesome thread.

And upon careful re-examination I have found the specific case as a lead-in narrative to the scenarios in post #3.

So at certain county parks it would appear that I just have to let the coyotes eat my 3-year-old... awesome.

Now, isn't there something about a campsite and the 4th amendment? A recent 9th circuit decision said that "in the tent" was the same as "in your home" but that was really the only protection they were willing to give... (guy went to the pen for SBS because he told the kid to bring it out of the tent when LE asked about the recreational shooting that was heard).

So... what's in the RV/tent is only up for discovery if you somehow invite it upon yourself? But use of said undisclosed resource, even if in defense of self or family, while probably exempted under the PC, is entirely dependent on the intelligent rendering of local ordinance as to its legality? Righteous.

markm
06-07-2011, 7:54 AM
Why not LUCC (locked unloaded concealed carry)? You're probably carrying a backpack anyway and you can just get a lock for one of the compartments with the unloaded gun in it. That's better than leaving a gun in the tent IMO.

Hey Anonymous,

I can think of several reasons to UOC in Yosemite, Lassen, Grand Teton, Glacier, Painted Rocks, et allia:

1) Our heritage;
2) Self defense is a creator granted right;
3) The supremes have ruled that the handgun is one of the best tools for self defense;
4) The sight of a legally carried gun shocks tree huggers in an unbelievable way;:)
5) Public lands are for the use of ALL CITITZENS, not just the ruling elite who populate government or institutions of higher learning;
6) 2A is a creator granted right that is Constitutionally guaranteed--use it or lose it;
7) LEO must learn that self defense and the tools of self defense are legal, and the person who bears arms has certain unalienable rights that are governed by the 4th Amendment and 4A case law (Terry v. Ohio).
8) Our National Parks are OURS, they do not belong to the Park Service -- Most of our parks are supposed to be governed by STATE LAW (Yosemite is one of the few exceptions--Kali gave it back to the feds; it is a federal reservation with its own jail and judges);
9) Because I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have UOCed Yosemite, and in one month I will OC Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I AM A WESTERNER AND IT IS MY HERITAGE TO BEAR ARMS FOR PEACEFUL PURPOSES!

thanks,
markm

PS: My 629 is cleaned-up and ready for our National Parks.