PDA

View Full Version : CCW pistol registration question

AngelDecoys
06-06-2011, 1:40 PM
I'm not sure if this question is best asked here in the 2A forum or the CCW sub-forum.

My Dad is retired and splits his time both here in CA and in AZ. He has a CCW in both states. One of the guns he carries on a regular basis in AZ is a Ruger LCR. A revolver bought in AZ.

So my Dad's question is how does he go about having the LCR placed onto his CA permit? Does he need to register it in CA first (and if so which form does he use)? Or is registering the revolver something that the sherrif would just do when adding to his permit?

He's not overly keep keen on registering it at all but knows this is required in order to add onto his permit. Thanks in advance

Librarian
06-06-2011, 2:04 PM
I'm not sure if this question is best asked here in the 2A forum or the CCW sub-forum.

My Dad is retired and splits his time both here in CA and in AZ. He has a CCW in both states. One of the guns he carries on a regular basis in AZ is a Ruger LCR. A revolver bought in AZ.

So my Dad's question is how does he go about having the LCR placed onto his CA permit? Does he need to register it in CA first (and if so which form does he use)? Or is registering the revolver something that the sherrif would just do when adding to his permit?

He's not overly keep on registering it at all but knows this is required in order to add onto his permit. Thanks in advance

CA law does not require that a handgun be registered at all. Some sheriff departments do impose that, without statutory authority, for handguns on CCW.

Best approach is to ask to have the pistol added, and see what happens. If necessary, he can VOLREG (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) the gun.

AngelDecoys
06-06-2011, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the quick response. That also answers another question he had about registering handguns he takes back and forth. I'll send him the link to this thread and let him know :)

wildhawker
06-06-2011, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the quick response. That also answers another question he had about registering handguns he takes back and forth. I'll send him the link to this thread and let him know :)

First, handguns on a CA CCW go into the database and CFS system. The local authority may not cause him to register it as a condition of placing it on the permit, but when they do amend his license and notify DOJ, it will effectively be "registered".

Also, when your father "moves" from California, and he intends to "reside" in AZ, he very likely must notify the licensing authority of the move; the license is then valid for 90 days. Unfortunately, the Penal Code really isn't setup to address people that have residences in multiple states, counties, or those who travel often for work.

-Brandon