PDA

View Full Version : Magazines / Publications

DANGERCLOSE
12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I just wanted to throw this out there, mostly out of curiosity, maybe to fill a void in my subscriptions. What magazines or other publications do you subscribe to or purchase. Which ones do you find informative in regards to firearms, tactics, equipment, or other.

I subscribe to:

Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement: i like their articles on firearms and tactics.

S.W.A.T. Magazine: they have great articles on firearms, tactics, and gear. they are also very candid and subjective on their articles.

Special Weapons for Military / Law Enrocement: hell yeah!

Soldier of Fortune: i am still a jarhead / grunt dammit! they have really good articles and cover the war in ways that the media refuses to report.

numerous law enforcement magazines.

i purchase:

surfire combat tactics: awesome magazine!

Combat annual: good stuff, though i dont care for the catalog of firearms portion of it.

tactical gear: really thin magazine with some good articles, focused mostly on non-military gear.

anything out there i should look at?

SemiAutoSam
12-15-2006, 8:06 AM
Would that not be considered conflict of interest ?

Guns and Ammo

Shooting Times

Gun Tests

Shotgun News

Gun List

One caveat...the first two receive advertising dollars from companies who's firearms they also write about.

rod
12-15-2006, 9:19 AM
I just log onto CalGuns. More usefull info than I ever found in any number of magazines.

ocabj
12-15-2006, 10:20 AM
The only shooting related publications I get are:

American Rifleman - via NRA membership

Garand Collectors Assocation Journal - via GCA membership

IHMSA newsletter/journal - via IHMSA membership

I prefer to buy actual books if I want to read up on specific topics (ie: Kuhnhausen gunsmithing books, Jim Owen's books, stuff by Zediker, etc).

zefflyn
12-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Shooting Times

The NRA magazine

Had a subscription to Gun Tests, but let it expire because the writing was fairly shoddy. Main gripe - they rank everything according to "we prefer" without giving any background on who's writing it, or what their build or preferences are.

http://gunblast.com/ is the most entertaining and useful.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-15-2006, 4:34 PM
American Rifleman NRA Life Membership

The Garand Collectors Association 'magazine'

I consider everything else a waste of good paper........

rorschach
12-15-2006, 4:56 PM
Small Arms Review, American Handgunner, SOF, Guns & Weapons for L.E., GCA mag, Leatherneck (not really a gun mag, but an awesome read)

SOF is ok, but I really miss Gung-Ho magazine from the 80's. I used to hoard my lunch money in elementary school to buy that rag.

Turbinator
12-16-2006, 7:18 AM
I just log onto CalGuns. More usefull info than I ever found in any number of magazines.

You still need to find out where to find the deals. I'd suggest Shotgun News or Gun List, both carry tons of ads where you can find gun deals assuming you have an FFL who is willing to receive things from out of state for you. I've purchased numerous times through SGN and I've always been pretty happy about it.

Turby

D1911
12-16-2006, 8:52 AM
American Handgunner and American Cop. Like em both for their articles on guns and tactics and their pictures are purty!

prebans
12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Small Arms review is wonderful. If you can find old issues, I also recommend Machinegun News and Firepower.

Mike

dw1784
12-17-2006, 1:14 AM
Small Arms Review, American Handgunner, SOF, Guns & Weapons for L.E., GCA mag, Leatherneck (not really a gun mag, but an awesome read)

SOF is ok, but I really miss Gung-Ho magazine from the 80's. I used to hoard my lunch money in elementary school to buy that rag.

+1 for Small Arms Review.

Gung-Ho and Firepower- I used to read them at a gun store on my way back from school. Firepower used to have these How-to f/a conversions, schematics and diagrams on homebuild parts. Wish I had enough money to buy the mags back then.

xenophobe
12-17-2006, 2:27 AM
Had a subscription to Gun Tests, but let it expire because the writing was fairly shoddy. Main gripe - they rank everything according to "we prefer" without giving any background on who's writing it, or what their build or preferences are.

Their binocular review was absolutely awful. They mis-quoted factory literature as tested fact and pretended to actually do a comprehensive review. I lost all respect to their objectivity.