PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a cheap hog hunt.

whomper
12-14-2006, 8:29 PM
Anybody ever use Marty Rovenstine as guide for hogs. I found this:
http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/iframe.html?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jesseshunting.co m%2Freviewpost%2Fshowcat.php%3Fcat%3D237
$250 isn't bad. I'm not looking for a monster boar, just a good time and some bacon.

Pnone #: (805) 467-3139

anotherone
12-14-2006, 8:33 PM
You're right. $250 is quite good. In fact could you post a link to that site? Most of the guided hunts I've seen are around $300 - $500ish. Heck around the Central Valley people are now charging $150 just to kill some snow geese :eek:!!! For that much I'd at least expect to kill quite a few Canadian Geese but Snow Geese... wtf? Dang people are getting greedy with their public land :mad:!

whomper
12-14-2006, 8:44 PM
I've never been goose hunting, but it would seem that the canadian varity is better eating.
I posted a link to another forum that gave a review. There is a number to call. I might hit him up tomorrow.

anotherone
12-14-2006, 10:10 PM
I've never been goose hunting, but it would seem that the canadian varity is better eating.

Canadian Geese and many other geese come in two sizes as defined by the DFG: large and small. As you can guess large are meatier and better eating. I haven't really tasted any major difference between Canadian, Snow, Blue, and White Fronted (Speckle Belly) geese. Canadian are simply the prettiest and are the epitome of goose hunting, much like Mallards are the epitome of duck hunting.

whomper
12-15-2006, 1:54 PM
Someone suggested this place:

http://www.littlebearcreekranch.com/index.html

But no price listing.

gose
12-15-2006, 3:19 PM
You guys eat Canadian Geese?
Back home I used to shoot them with my .308 and bury them behind the barn :)

Rumpled
12-15-2006, 3:55 PM
You guys eat Canadian Geese?
Back home I used to shoot them with my .308 and bury them behind the barn :)
At least feed 'em to your dogs, that's what a lot of people do with coots.

Watch yourself, one more o in your name and you might become hunted. Ha!

Hunter
12-15-2006, 4:05 PM
You guys eat Canadian Geese?.....)

No, I don't believe anyone has eaten Canadian Geese......maybe Canada Geese but not Canadian Geese.

Unless you are talking about Canadian Canada Geese, then probably yes.:D

anotherone
12-15-2006, 6:51 PM
At least feed 'em to your dogs, that's what a lot of people do with coots.

I love coots. I like to breast and BBQ them with some Jim Beam and I also grind up their meat along with their gizzards and hearts into coot sausage. Recently I started cooking up the idea of hunting coots with a black powder shotgun in between the morning and evening duck hunt to kill time.

xenophobe
12-15-2006, 7:04 PM
Anybody ever use Marty Rovenstine as guide for hogs. I found this:
http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/iframe.html?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jesseshunting.co m%2Freviewpost%2Fshowcat.php%3Fcat%3D237
$250 isn't bad. I'm not looking for a monster boar, just a good time and some bacon.

At that price, jump on it. The guy we used to send off for $600 hunts raised his prices to $800 and he's book solid till the middle of next year.

Rumpled
12-15-2006, 7:29 PM
I love coots. I like to breast and BBQ them with some Jim Beam and I also grind up their meat along with their gizzards and hearts into coot sausage. Recently I started cooking up the idea of hunting coots with a black powder shotgun in between the morning and evening duck hunt to kill time.

Shooting a limit of coots with a BP shotgun sure would kill a lot of time, just reloading!
I've never tried them, might hafta. When I get a dog to train, retreiving 25 in a session should be good work.

cnyankee
12-15-2006, 8:11 PM
i know of a guide in the big sur area that charges 250-300 for a meat hog but if you want a trophy hog it is expensive. i met him about a month ago in los padres. it is his land (not los padres but where he takes you). i havent used him yet but plan on it. if anyone wants his number pm me. again this is around the big sur area.

VeryCoolCat
12-15-2006, 11:07 PM

I think I will go to the restroom and throw up now.

whomper
12-16-2006, 2:19 AM
At that price, jump on it. The guy we used to send off for $600 hunts raised his prices to $800 and he's book solid till the middle of next year.

Check the link for a phone mumber. I've yet to call and confirm a price though.
By the way, the prices you quoted, were those for any hog or trophy hog?
Kick around the idea of a group hunt. In a couple of months, though. I'm gonna have a surgery on my trigger finger in Jan.
My dad saw adds for hog hunts back home in San Antonio, TX for $100.
$100 hunt + $220 airfare.
See where I'm going? I hunted on my buddy's ranch last weekend. His brother was trying to giva away a hog that he had shot. I took my first whitetail buck. Nonresident Hunting License is $300. Allows you to take Deer, bird, and turkey for a year. It also allows you to hunt exotics, which have no season. And hogs year round. Although you do not need a license if they are considered depredation pigs (ie pests).

xenophobe
12-16-2006, 2:47 AM
$600 was for a guided hunt for two days, one shooter and a guest I think. Any hog you shoot, but the hunt is over when you get a hog. I believe that was for a skinned carcass, not including any butcher fees.

If you can get a guided hog-hunt in California for $250 a person, that's a good deal.

whomper
12-16-2006, 1:02 PM
http://www.littlebearcreekranch.com/index.html

Another fella on ARF.COM suggested this place and had this to say about it:

"A guy at my work, his good friend owns that ranch in the link i posted. His hunts are pretty inexpensive. He gave us a quote of $250 for an over night hunt. For what the trip includes, i'll break it down as an example of what he quoted us for, for $250. Get there early, do some pheasant hunting in the morning, come back, and a lady will clean and dress your birds, and they will cook that for you for lunch. Then go out that afternoon and hunt hogs, they will also clean and dress your hogs and package the meat in vacume sealed packages and freeze it for you. The next morning go out and do another pheasant or quail hunt, coyotes, come back they clean and dress your birds, give you all of your meat, and go home. For $250, thats an incredible deal.

He is just starting out in this business, and thats why his prices are pretty cheap. Its his faimlies property, i think its like 15,000 acres of land, this grand father is the owner of Ranchers Reserve beef that Safeway carries. He also doesnt mind if you bring some fun guns and shoot, or they also have clay pigions and stuff to shoot at in a make shift range."

This is a link to another thread I started there and his report. Sounds like an amazing deal.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=252342