View Full Version : info on a new ithica 10 Ga S X S

06-05-2011, 5:14 PM
I have a ithaca 10 ga SXS from my grate or grate grate grandpa. I think it is a 1899 10 Ga SXS with exposed hammers serial # 34438 A .I was wondering if I could get some info on it? Is it a Damascus barrel / black powder gun?

Thanks for any help.

06-05-2011, 5:23 PM
It's "great" ;). Sorry I don't have any info.

Edit: Sorry I wouldn't have been a jerk-off if I realized it was your first post. Welcome to Calguns!

06-05-2011, 5:56 PM
Welcome to Calguns. :)

Can't tell much from the photo other than the gun has exposed hammers and a badly cracked stock.

If your barrels look like any of these (http://damascus-barrels.com/Image_barrels.html) then they would likely be Damascus and may have been for use with black powder shells. If they are Damsacus, the gun may not be safe to shoot at all, and almost certainly would not be with smokeless powder loaded shells. The chamber is likely shorter than modern 10 gauge as well. If the barrels are modern tube construction it's a fair bet that they could shoot smokeless shells.

Probably be a good idea to run it past a qualified gunsmith to determine barrel construction and verify chamber length. It's quite possible you have a nice wall hanger but one with a family history, which is always very cool.