PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 124gr+p or 147gr Gold Dot questions

Cardinal Sin
12-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Well folks, I'm looking for testing info and personal experience / real life documentation on the use and performance of the Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr+p and 147gr. I have scoured the forums and net and have settled on these two loads to carry.

Now I have used Federal 9mm 147 Hydrashoks out of a G-17 and found that I group well with them and they have contolable muzzle flip. I am looking for a load that will perform well and stay together through auto glass and possibly cover. My research tends to lean toward bonded bullets and the 147gr bullets. The 124gr+p's are right next to it it seems.

I have found that some people do not like the 147gr bullet yet many agencies, local and federal, issue it. I do like the penetration it allows. I have also heard that the early 147gr bullets did not perform well but that the newer generation designs work well.

I want to stay away from boutique ammo for various reasons.

Also, is there info on Federal's HST 9mm Ammo? Who sells the stuff and I dont want some trade-in, reject or older generation stuff . . not to be picky :p

Cardinal Sin
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info, i have seen the ranger info. The one thing i liked about the bonded bullet was that it didnt go to pieces once it passed through a tough barrier. I think i'll look into the 147 gr for both wihchester and speer. From what I understand, the +p ammo can create more muzzle flip. I understand that it has more energy initially but both the 124gr +p and the147gr seem to penetrate well.

Now if only someone could tell me why some people disliked the 147gr bullets in the past . . .

Cardinal Sin
12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
So true . .you gotta hit the target first:rolleyes: From what I have found, the 147gr stuff is now much better and effective but there aren't nearly the amount of articles on the load as the lighter and faster stuff :( Thanks for the info:)

Harbinger
12-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Here's some more on the Winchester SXT (T-series) stuff:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/9mm/win9-147ssxt-g26.htm

Cardinal Sin
12-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Now I'm looking into the HST and Bonded stuff . .argh, the fun never ends :rolleyes: