PDA

View Full Version : Impressed With My New OLL's

NRAhighpowershooter
12-14-2006, 8:50 PM
WOW!!! I picked up my Double Star and Mega lowers today.. I'm VERRRY impressed with the finish on them!!! Silky smooth!!!!!! better than my Fultons, and Rock River OLL's.. my Stag would come in close behind the Double Star and Mega on finish quality...... now to just figure out what I'm going to do with these 2... I was planning on putting them away.. but like my Garand receivers.. I just can't let a bare receiver sit!!! I have to build them up!!! :D

ghost
12-14-2006, 9:12 PM
great purchase!those are nice lowers i had a chance to see them in person at a show i went to a while back.i have a dsa myself and about to start my own build soon.

hoffmang
12-14-2006, 9:12 PM
Aint the disease great!

I built two more CMMGs yesterday. The finish is very similar from what I've seen.

-Gene

kap
12-14-2006, 9:21 PM
I have two Double Star receivers and the finish is very nice. One is already built into a compete rifle and the other just has a LPK on it. I just wanted to assemble it with the lower parts kit, but now I have all of these springs hanging out of it with no way to keep them in place. Sure take works for now, but I guess I'm just going to have to buy a butt stock to keep the takedown spring in place and a grip to keep the detent spring in place. After all that it is just silly not to put an upper on it. I just need to find a 24" varmint upper that I like. :D

capitol
12-14-2006, 9:34 PM
yall crack me up with the finish on this lower and that lower receiver. if it's mill specs and all the parts fit then go shoot your rifle.
all guns that are used get beat up a bit unless they are SAFE QUEENS.

Some people collect guns and others shoot em. I know both types and to each there own

hoffmang
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
See, its most fun to own enough guns to be both types capitol.

-Gene

pnkssbtz
12-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I bought the mega cause of the big logo plust the nobbed area in front of the mag well...

Plus having MEGA written in big letters on the side of your rifle is kind of neat...

Yes I am weird.

Pthfndr
12-14-2006, 10:37 PM
WOW!!! I picked up my Double Star and Mega lowers today.. I'm VERRRY impressed with the finish on them!!! Silky smooth!!!!!!

Coming from a guy who's mostly blind in one eye, and has 50 year old splinters in his hands from fondling old Garands, I'm not sure if that's a good recommendation or not :D

thedrickel
12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I bought the mega cause of the big logo plust the nobbed area in front of the mag well...

Plus having MEGA written in big letters on the side of your rifle is kind of neat...

Yes I am weird.
It ain't that weird . . . I bought LAR Grizzly-15's cause I like the bears on the side. Just to stick it to the state a little bit.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2niodav.jpg

The SoCal Gunner
12-15-2006, 4:22 AM
Thats the exact pair I picked up after my first pickup of 2 CMMGs. I switched out my CMMG lower with the Double Star because it matched better with the RRA upper.

I need funds to build the rest. Sucks to have to spend so much money on school instead of guns!

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-15-2006, 10:43 AM
I've got 2 Doublestars, and to be honest I'm just happy to have 2 OLL's regardless of the finish. I've got one finished, and after xmas is over I'll probably start working on the other one. :D

BTW, I heard awhile back that one company was making the majority of the lowers for everyone else, is that true?

6172crew
12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I've got 2 Doublestars, and to be honest I'm just happy to have 2 OLL's regardless of the finish. I've got one finished, and after xmas is over I'll probably start working on the other one. :D

BTW, I heard awhile back that one company was making the majority of the lowers for everyone else, is that true?

3 companies make the forgings, Alcoa is one of them, then there are only a few guys who macine the lowers and then there are on a few who do the finishes.

mltrading
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I really hope a manufacturer comes out with an AI-15 "Allison & Iggy" limited edition model with this logo:
http://www.gunlockinfo.com/images/Others/CA_dept_of_Just_logo.jpg
The finish wouldn't even have to be that nice...

I think Spike Arms has something engraved "Don't poke the bear" and the CA state flag. That's pretty cool.

pklin1297
12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I bought one Mega lower initially and built that one up and just got my second Mega back from DROS two days ago. I like the deep black and the slickness of the Teflon coating on these receivers, and they work perfectly with RRA lower parts kit. Will build this second receiver up some time next year, after I figure out how much I have after paying taxes... :(

12-15-2006, 7:53 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to get an OLL engraved like that.