PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Express Tactical

ethik226
06-05-2011, 3:54 PM
Hey, everybody. I have my rifle and my pistol and I'm now looking for a shotgun. I have my sights set on the Remington 870 Express Tactical:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

I have heard that the finish wears quickly. Is this true? Does anybody here own one of these or have any opinions on this gun?

Thank you. :)

center_x
06-05-2011, 4:31 PM
Ive got an 870. If you care for the finish, you wont need to worry about it "wearing down". My 870 began as a hunting shotgun, to now a "tactical" shotgun. Its been through lots of abuse in rain and mud and the finish is still in good shape.

aippi
06-05-2011, 7:56 PM
Right brand, wrong model. that model has tacti-fool mess on it that is not needed. Get the 5077 model. You can thank me latter.

carnelianbay
06-07-2011, 9:48 PM
it depends on what you’re looking for and how you’re going to use it.

The 870 Express Tactical is a good value for what it is. If you’re looking for something “basic” to complement your Carbine and Pistol for $450 you cannot go wrong with the Express. Out of the box the finish is good (it’s not powder coated as I’ve heard some earlier ones were), it looks more like a “courser” AR lower finish. It has an extension tube and ghost ring sights. There is even a rail on the top of receiver and a breaching tube/standoff if that appeals to you.

If you’re looking for a tactical shotgun and you’ve narrowed it down to a Remington pump then I believe there are three basic starting points (levels or platforms). I emphasize “basic platforms” because there are as many configurations as opinions out there. These three are mine and very easily delineated:

Low: Express / Express Tactical (<$500)
Mid: 870P (~$700)
High: Vang Comp ($1500+)

It goes back to what you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to spend. For the average person who just wants a tactical shotgun to say they have one, they’ll never push any grade of 870 to its limit. If this is you (which is common) then take the Tactical Express, add a Mesa Tactical SureShell Carrier, and a Victory 2 pt sling. For $550 total you’ll be set to shoot just about anything including slugs to 100 yds with open sights, and you won’t worry too much about throwing it around. It will take a beating and be just fine for a few classes and another 50-100 rds/yr which is more than a lot of tactical safe queens see.

With the money you save spend $200 on a good shotgun class. I’d rather go for the $500 Express + $200 in classes then the 870P for $700.

I am typically of the mind set to buy the most you can afford. It this case however that holds true only after you’ve determined what you real goal is.

aippi
06-07-2011, 11:58 PM
That is not a stand off breaching tube. It is an Extended tactical choke made for Remington by Haskinator or some mess like that. It does nothing but extends the barrel by one and half inches and is a Cyl Bore choke and resluts in horrible patterns and slugs wobble out of the barrel. In my shop it is fondly known as the Tactical Rem Joke. They Retail for $56 and I can't even move them on gun broker for less then $30 which is below dealer cost. I ended up stuck with a bunch of them as Remington ran out of Modified tubes and was so desperate to get rid of these silly things they were putting them on the 18.5" BS RC barrels they were sending me. I had to buy 30 Modified tubes from JSC just so I could sell the barrels and I am stuck with 30 Rem Jokes. And yes I have put them on a few clients weapons because they chose not to take wise counsel but anyone wanting that mess on a shotgun has no understanding of these weapons and I doubt has a serious need for one and is looking to get a weapon based on looks and not performance. The choke is not just useless it impeds the performance of the weapon.

C Bryant
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a Remington Express Tactical with the grey "powder coat" finish. I only bought it because is was on sale for a great price and it was only a little more than buying a short barrel for my other 870. I don't care for the grey that much, but I could not pass on the price I got it for compared to a new barrel. Remington did have issues with the grey finish flaking off in some batches. Mine started flaking off before I ever fired it. I shipped it to Remington and they refinished it and sent it back free of charge, no more issues.

Personally I'd prefer just a plain old short barrel black 870, I don't need (or really care for) all the tactical stuff on it. For my uses it's not needed, it is after all a shotgun, do you need optics mounts and a breecher choke? I like the idea of one gun two barrels, long and short, but as I stated the sale price of the gun was too good compared to the way over priced barrels to not buy it. BUT when it all boils down, it is an 870. They are tried and true. It will sever you well.

bjl333
06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Right brand, wrong model. that model has tacti-fool mess on it that is not needed. Get the 5077 model. You can thank me latter.

^ :yes: ^ What he said ^ :yes: ^

1911su16b870
06-12-2011, 1:00 PM

You recommend this one?! http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx

What if he takes out the choke and installs an IC aftermarket one?

aippi
06-12-2011, 1:34 PM
Yes but that is an old picture of one. They now come with the Speedfeed LE forend and a different design on the rear stock.

As for any threaded barrel for a tactical gun, NO. If you go to www.remingtonle.com or the Remington parts list you will notice there are no threaded barrels offered for the Police models. This is because these weapon are primarily for heavy loads like buck shot and slugs. Choke tubes are for small shot, not heavy loads. Screw a choke tube out and look at the threads and you will see the reverse of that is the threads in the barrel. They ones in the barrel are much softer then the stainless sell tube. Over time, many many years and lots of heavy rounds, especially slugs, those stainless steel threads wear on the softer threads in the barrel. Add the occassional times you don't check to make sure the tube is in tight and one day that tube is going down range if the weapons is mainly for heavy loads. So, there are no threaded Police barrels. The exceptions are two SBS barrels @ 11" and 14" and I would not recomend them.

So, if you have ever asked why there are no 18.5" threaded police barrels, you now know the answer. And yes, the matte finish one is for the Express models not the parkerized police models.

And now the big however. The average guy will not fire this weapon enough to risk this damage and if he ensures the tube is always in tight before and during range sessions he should be fine. Being these weapons last a life time I prefer that the barrel last the life time of the weapon and I don't have threaded barrels on my HD weapon. I sure have one on my Turkey and Bird guns and love 'em as I can change chokes to fit the shooting. I have screwed in Cly bore choke when getting in the thick stuff after Grouse and then screwed in a Modified when we worked the Oak hills. That is what those barrels are for.

Patriot Man
06-12-2011, 2:02 PM
Friend has one- full on tacti-cool with Camo pattern which partially came off by using the wrong cleaner- read the lables and don't use strong stuff to clean the bore on a painted gun. The tactical 870 with all the bells and whistles-ghost ring sight with picitany rail, PG, breacher choke is a heavy duty gun. Receiver is steel verses like a Mossburg which is aluminum. You can feel the weight difference. Mossburgs are harder to take apart to clean but easier to use IMO. Also the forend release is in front of trigger guard on the Rem 870 and this is not user friendly. Remington is easier to take apart to clean all day long. Personally would get a Mossburg 500 or 590 if it's for Home defense. If for hunting get the Rem 870, IMHO

1911su16b870
06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks aippi (JD) for the knowledge! I am taking the Remi 870 armorer course in the fall and looking forward to learning all I can about this workhorse 12G!

BajaJames83
06-12-2011, 10:10 PM
870 will take anything you can put through it, and requires minimal maint.
factory finish will need to be redone but thats just cosmetic....

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 11:14 AM
As for any threaded barrel for a tactical gun, NO. If you go to www.remingtonle.com or the Remington parts list you will notice there are no threaded barrels offered for the Police models. This is because these weapon are primarily for heavy loads like buck shot and slugs. Choke tubes are for small shot, not heavy loads.

Wise counsel this..... thanks again JD.

Bigtime1
06-13-2011, 3:36 PM
I have that gun, and I really like it.

Yes, the breacher tip is a little rough on gun cases, but as far as its choke effect - I've had no problem. I've managed <5" groups with 1 oz slugs at 50 yards resting on a range bag. With Remington Managed-Recoil 00 buck (8 pellet) its A zone out to about 20 yards. At the same distance Federal Flight Control 00 (9 pellet) was only about an 8" spread. Birdshot stays on the target to about fifteen yards then start getting "liability pellets".

The ghost ring rear really "ghosts out" and you can shoot both eyes open and use just the front bead, but when shooting slugs the ring is nice to have. I've had mine since February and have about 400 rounds through it. Zero malfunctions and the only finish deterioration is from the receiver rubbing against my Cal Comp shell holders. Even then its surface marking and not through the finish.

It comes with the bright orange follower and the shorter fore end which allows loading/unloading with the slide back. The 870 Express Synthetic fore end covers part of the loading port when the slide is back.

Aippi has a good point about wear and tear at the threaded insert interface. If you're going to shoot the hell out of the thing that's something to consider. The breacher tip wasn't what sold me on this over the less expensive Express-Synth, it was the sight system, the shorter fore end and the stock.

I got mine for $459.00 at my local gun shop. I see the Express-Synth model for $349.00 almost every weekend at Big 5.

Just to be safe, and make sure you really get what you want, buy both. Then get yourself into a tactical shotgun class, you'll be surprised at what you don't know.

bigevil
06-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I've had my 870 express 7 shot synthetic for years now (5+) and though there has been light wear of the finish on parts of the barrel I have to say this thing has held up. I throw it around, take it to the range throw all kinds of rounds through it and haven't cleaned it once(I know i know).

I think the knoxx specops stock is a big must and I love my surefire weapon foreend light.

aippi
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, Bigevil, we know you know but you get to hear it anyway.

As you have proven, the 870 will run thousands of rounds over 5+ years without cleaning it. However, the problem is that if gunk builds up and interferes with lock up on the sear you could have a AD and really mess up someones day. Add the fact that same gunk can cause damage to your weapon. It is just not safe to use the weapon not knowing the conditions inside that receiver. For occcasional use a minimum of once a year full break down and cleaning is needed. Heavy use up that to quarterly and of course any time the weapon gets dropped in the sand or get soaking wet do a complete break down and cleaning.

Do it for us there big guy and we will thank you later and so with others who may have been around when that AD went off.

MossbergMan
06-24-2011, 4:34 PM
I had one of the Tactical 870s in a recent SG course and it ran flawlessly right out of the box. Yes, first shot down the tube was in class.
My student ran the gun without incident and groups with both Remington and Federal tactical buckshot loads. When we were sighting in slugs at 50 yards, this students ammo (I forget the brand) put 3 shots within 2.5 off a bag rest.

I liked this gun so much I waiting for a sale at Turners to get one myself (for demonstrations only ;) ) The 870 I use now is all Tacti-cooled out from it's previous owner and a stock gun is what's needed.

Calm down JD I'm not going over to the "other side" and be RemingtonMan, but I know quality when I see ita and the Tactical 870 was impressive.

aermotor
06-24-2011, 4:42 PM
870 is arguably the most reliable shotgun you can buy. Get one with the 18" barrel and extended tube mag, corn cob forend. It will last you're entire life and some.

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/9144081145/9497942/5077.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg