View Full Version : Shoulder Rig - For Air Operations (Just Curious)

06-05-2011, 1:12 PM
Saw a couple of CHP Air Ops officers killing time in a store, the other day... I didn't get a chance to stop and chat, but I did notice that they were both wearing the same shoulder rig, to carry their sidearm. What struck me as kinda cool... was the fact that it didn't attach to a belt (as they were not wearing belts with their flight-suits). Most modern rigs seem to attach to the belt, on both sides and I hadn't seen one like this, in a long time. Of course, since I live in this... um... State... I am not a CCW holder and don't look at that kind of thing, very much. So, I could have just missed it. I dunno.

I'm curious to find out if those are standardized, (and what they are, exactly) or if each officer can pick his/her own. Like I said, they looked the same. They were made of black ballistic nylon, the holster itself was oriented vertically and there may have been a full flap, over the grip. Don't recall if there were any mag pouches, on the offhand side, but there could have been.

Thanks folks and please stay safe out there.

06-05-2011, 4:44 PM
When I flew, I carried a Glock-19 in a leather Galco shoulder rig with a two mag pouch on the side opposite the holster. No belt attachment needed as the mags balanced out the weight of the pistol pretty well.

06-05-2011, 6:39 PM
The CHP air guys I've talked to have been wearing Galco as SVT-40 describes. No idea if it's issued or if it's just how they roll.

06-05-2011, 7:16 PM
A belt holster will destroy the seat and restraints etc of a helicopter over time. They are not cheap to replace, hence the shoulder rigs.

06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
When I was first assigned as an observer, it was before we started wearing flight suits so we just used a pancake style holster. When we went to flight suits, I used a Ted Blocker shoulder rig with a double mag pouch opposite the gun. Like SVT-40 said, they balance out nicely.

As for wearing out seats, first I heard of that one.

06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I can completely understand keeping things off the waist, in such close quarters. Especially when there's the possibility of damaging something or (God forbid) something getting bound up in any part of the controls (Yikes!)

The closest thing I've found, trolling for pics around the interwebs, is Uncle Mikes Sidekick Vertical, but it still has the tie-downs. Ah well, no biggie, just a curiosity.

06-07-2011, 6:36 AM
My Aker ProBond for the G21 and G26 do not need tie downs as the dual mag pouch balances the gun perfectly. I've really only seen nylon holsters come with belt tie downs, or on leather ones only as an accessory that you have to buy separately.

06-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I agree with Ron-Solo. The seats in modern helicopters (particularly the Eurocopter A-stars i fly) will destroy your back and neck before a duty holster will ever damage tbose MISERABLE seats. For my dept, 98% of the aircrews prefer a web gear type sam brown. I switch between a leather "Galco" shoulder rig but mostly use web gear. Flying for 6 hrs per day (10 hr shifts) everyday with a shoulder rig is uncomfortable for most of us.

Then again, most pilots place their sam browns in the back seat during flight and so do 95% of the observers. If you must land to take action (a rare occurance), clicking on web gear takes only seconds to do.

As far as choice, we're fortunate to be able to use whatever brand we individually choose to carry. For the air units, management has been very forgiving by allowing us to carry whatever we want, unlike the rest of the troops in other units in the dept.

06-10-2011, 11:18 PM
+1 on the back thing. I have the shot disc's to prove it!!!

06-10-2011, 11:21 PM
+1 on the back thing. I have the shot disc's to prove it!!!

And the damaged hearing.......:(