PDA

View Full Version : Canyou have it both ways...

M1ASupermatch
06-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Good afternoon.

My son's squadron will relocate to Lemoore NAS this summer and, as a consequence of me being such a great dad, he has come to own several rifles that fall under the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapon’s (AW's) Act of 1989 and SB23.

It is my understanding that active duty military personnel being stationed in California can register their AW's to retain legal ownership while in stationed and living in California. However, should he do this it would mean that he is now confined to the "to and from range" restrictions pertaining to AW's.

So here is my question: To avoid the restrictions of SB23 etc., can he install a bullet button magazine retention devices on his MSAR XM17-E4, Century C-93 (HK-93 clone), and DPMS manufactured AR lower receiver rifles, and meet the requirements of the law while maintain the ability to shoot the rifles in areas other than a licensed shooting range?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

r3dn3ck
06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
AFAIK, since they're on the list by make/model, that no, you're screwed. If they were "off list" lowers then yeah, you could just install a BB and be good to go.

So, to be clear, no. He's hosed and you should hang on to them for him. BTW, yes you are the awesome sauce if you put all those in his hands.

bwiese
06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
He's hosed because banned-by-name AWs stay as such, regardless of characteristic features changes.

He could try to apply for the MAWP (miltary AW permit) from DOJ, but they have clamped down on issuance of those and require signature from command chain (others will have more details).

M1ASupermatch
06-05-2011, 1:55 PM
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them all. I'll buy him an OLL or two so he can take advantage of the vast open areas of Kings County.

Here is the ***** of it, he's a 26 year-old F/A18C Hornet pilot trusted not only with the aircraft itself, but also with General Electric's six-barreled GAU-4 20mm Vulcan cannon - but, inexplicably, can't be trusted with an AR-15? Go figure.

Thanks again.

Take care.

yellowfin
06-05-2011, 2:37 PM
CA's priorities are seriously screwed up like that.

Andy Taylor
06-05-2011, 2:43 PM
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them all. I'll buy him an OLL or two so he can take advantage of the vast open areas of Kings County.

Here is the ***** of it, he's a 26 year-old F/A18C Hornet pilot trusted not only with the aircraft itself, but also with General Electric's six-barreled GAU-4 20mm Vulcan cannon - but, inexplicably, can't be trusted with an AR-15? Go figure.

Thanks again.

Take care.

And unfortunately that is 100% correct. CA is really F...ed up.

HowardW56
06-05-2011, 2:45 PM

Thanks again.

Take care.

He has the abailty, and when his aircraft is armed the capability to rain down death and destruction, but he can't be trusted with an EVIL rifle....

ke6guj
06-05-2011, 2:52 PM
So here is my question: To avoid the restrictions of SB23 etc., can he install a bullet button magazine retention devices on his MSAR XM17-E4, Century C-93 (HK-93 clone),both of these are off-list, so he could just add a maglock to them and be legal.

for the XM17, depending on which barrel he has, it might be less than 30" OAL. If so, he would need to make it longer, by adding on a longer muzzle device or adding in a stock spacer.

If he has a collapsing stock on the C-93, he needs to make sure that it isn't under 30" collapsed. If so, swap it out for a fixed stock or add a longer muzzle attachment so it makes length when in its shortest firing configuration.

and DPMS manufactured AR lower receiver rifles,this one is probably listed. MOST DPMS lowers are covered under the "DPMS Panther (all) listing, but if you son's DPMS doesn't say Panther Arms on it, it might be off-list and could be mag-locked and brought in.