PDA

View Full Version : transporting assault weapons

nine mil thrill
06-05-2011, 7:23 AM
i currently have two assault rifles registered with doj. are there any requirements that would be different from transporting my handguns. are there any restrictions from me using and transporting the large capacity magazines and drum that i got at the time of purchase. ( i realize that using a 70 round drum at the range sounds silly, but i do like to make sure it remains functional)

scarry scarney
06-05-2011, 8:20 AM
Just like a pistol. Transport the Registered Assault Weapon, unloaded in a locked container. See California Penal Code, 12026.2. (a), please bear in mind, that the code talks about transporting to and from the range (and other approved places), with out "extra stops."

Not that it is required, I would also carry a copy of your DOJ Assault Weapon registration.

Normally if asked by LEO, he will run your name and AW serial number, and it "should" come back registered. Having a copy of the DOJ paperwork is just an extra amount of insurance, if you know what I mean.

No extra requirement for the magazines. Just be sure not to loose track of them, while at the range, otherwise, other sections of the California Penal code comes into place.

I am not a lawyer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once:D

Notorious
06-07-2011, 6:38 AM
As above but I thought keeping a copy of your AW letter with the weapon was mandatory? I photocopied my letter and put it in an envelope which I tuck in the mag well so I always have it with the rifle.

Jonathan Doe
06-07-2011, 7:41 AM
You don't need the copy of the DOJ AW registration paper. And, when you run the serial number, it shows as a volunteer registration, and it also says do not arrest solely on the possession. I keep a copy for my rifles for just because it may save time someday.

scarry scarney
06-07-2011, 7:48 AM
As above but I thought keeping a copy of your AW letter with the weapon was mandatory? I photocopied my letter and put it in an envelope which I tuck in the mag well so I always have it with the rifle.

Carrying a copy of your paperwork is only Manditory if you one of those lucky ones that have a NFA weapon. Maybe someday.........

Notorious
06-07-2011, 8:10 AM
Nice. But it does save me a lot of hassle when I take my RAW to a gun store to get parts installed or worked on. Some of them get very antsy when they see a non-BB weapon.

Notorious
06-07-2011, 8:17 AM
I am working on getting my NFA weapon... Ain't easy, I tell ya.

Tankhatch
06-09-2011, 5:46 PM
"Just like a pistol. Transport the Registered Assault Weapon, unloaded in a locked container."

A locked container:
Assumed, a RAW locked in a lockable hard gun case is GTG.
Question, is a RAW locked in a lockable, soft sided canvas gun case GTG ?

Tacit Blue
06-09-2011, 5:53 PM
Just remember if the DOJ catches you in a questionable situation. Always refer to this Movie for help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTK8torOylM

Librarian
06-09-2011, 7:42 PM
A locked container:

Question, is a RAW locked in a lockable, soft sided canvas gun case GTG ?

Should be - PC doesn't say hard/soft, says As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.
'Fully enclosed' has a common meaning, 'locked' has a common meaning, 'secure' is always relative to something.

"Compared to a plastic garbage bag, this canvas case is secure."

"Compared to a Pelican 1700, this canvas case is less secure."