PDA

View Full Version : 18 Year old and handgun

rscot
06-05-2011, 6:58 AM
So, I found this post http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=92384 and want to find out if it's correct, if I can transfer to my 18 y/o. Also, does anyone know of a dealer in the greater Sac area that will give the HSC test without a purchase? I'm usually confident when I see "bwiese" has provided the info.

AAShooter
06-05-2011, 7:00 AM
Should be no problem. Any retailer selling handguns should be able to provide the HSC test. Just realize that some ranges will still require handgun shooters to be 21, even if he owns it legally.

rscot
06-05-2011, 7:35 AM
Thanks. I gave him some chores around the house to do like get the wood split etc. and when he has enough hours he gets one of my 1911s. He will be leaving for UNR after the summer and wants to take everything and keep at the relatives house in Reno.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
...Also, does anyone know of a dealer in the greater Sac area that will give the HSC test without a purchase?...

Some dealers won't give the test to an 18 year old because they don't want to "waste" time helping somebody who can't buy a handgun from them. Some dealers won't give the test to an 18 year old because they actually believe it is illegal. For the latter, you can try showing them the penal code about the age requirement to get an HSC...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12800.php

12803. (a) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who has not complied with this article. Proof of compliance shall be forwarded to the department by certified instructors as frequently as the department may determine.
(b) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who is under 18 years of age.
(c) A violation of this section shall be grounds for the department to revoke the instructor's certification to issue handgun safety certificates.

Hopefully somebody in your area who has already gone through the process will chime in here with the name of a dealer who will administer the test to your son.

tenpercentfirearms
06-05-2011, 4:44 PM
Drive down to Taft. I will give the HSC to anyone who pays me $25. I don't care if they are 8 years old. It is your money.

Or I bet Ryan at JK Supply Co in Ione would do it too.

Dealers who won't cater to 18 year olds don't deserve your business. 18 year old gun nuts turn into 21 year old gun nuts and their memory is still good so they won't forget who treated them with respect and common decency.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-05-2011, 6:00 PM
...I will give the HSC to anyone who pays me $25. I don't care if they are 8 years old.

What about 12803(b)?

12803. (a) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who has not complied with this article. Proof of compliance shall be forwarded to the department by certified instructors as frequently as the department may determine.
(b) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who is under 18 years of age.
(c) A violation of this section shall be grounds for the department to revoke the instructor's certification to issue handgun safety certificates.

tenpercentfirearms
06-06-2011, 6:53 AM
What about 12803(b)?

Ah crap. Thanks for the heads up. The good news is I don't think I have had anyone under 18 take it. Ok, only 18 year olds now.

galekowitz
06-06-2011, 7:22 AM
What about 18 in dog years?