PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reload 7.7x58 (7.7 Jap)?

prebans
12-14-2006, 1:09 PM
Any recommendations for reloading 7.7x58 (7.7 Jap)?

Thanks,

Mike

Scarecrow Repair
12-14-2006, 2:44 PM
A friend is just starting that. He is in fact learning reloading with it. Come back in a year and I'll tell you all about it :-)

Pthfndr
12-14-2006, 9:47 PM
Yeah, cut 10" off your arms and reloading one will be a lot easier :D

Those things have darn short buttstocks don't they.

Seriously I wish I could help you. I have one sittng here I checked over for a guy. I was shocked when I went to buy some ammo to test fire it. Only thing I could find was some Norma at $40 for a box of 20 :eek: Yikes!

No wonder people reload for them.

762cavalier
12-15-2006, 4:56 PM
I load 7.7 for my Arisaka. I use Graf's brass and either pulled 7.62x54 bullets or Remington Core-lokt bullets for the .303 bristish. Powder is usually IMR 4064 (kind of my favorite all around rifle powder).

Pathfinder- One can also purchase new made 7.7 ammo from Graf's. I believe its Hornady ammo and is about 20 per box without the C&R discount.

prebans
12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, yes-- Norma is horrendously expensive. Graf's makes good brass. Right now a friend loads for me, but eventually I'm going to have to start taking care of this myself.

As for arm length, definitely. It's definitely a heavy gun and mags are hard as hell to find, but lots of fun when it works.

Mike

dw1784
12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
a friend of mine used to use 30-06 brass; lots of trimming and aneal after. I helped him trim those cases and even on a RCBS case trimmer, it was A LOT of work!

Pthfndr
12-17-2006, 9:39 AM
Pathfinder- One can also purchase new made 7.7 ammo from Graf's. I believe its Hornady ammo and is about 20 per box without the C&R discount.

I knew that, but I just needed a few rounds to test fire and make sure the rifle was zeroed for the guy. I didn't want to spend money on gas or shipping for one lousy box of ammo. The shop that had it is one I buy stuff from all the time. The box had been sitting around so long it was covered with dust. We talked and he wound up giving it to me for $10 or so.

I still have half the box sitting around here somewhere :rolleyes: