PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express - pistol grip - HELP

KDOFisch
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey guys- It's rare that I fool around with my Remington in general, but today I tried to attach a PG instead of the synthetic stock.

It's been a while since I took this thing apart- is there a trick to the stock bolt? I truly cannot seem to get it to even budge. There's no moisture or anything it's been exposed to so corrosion's not an issue. That's just a b*tch to remove. Is there a better tool to use than a long flathead screwdriver?

joel1316
12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
A large flat head screwdriver is your best bet. If you are using an anemically small flat head, then yeah, that bolt won't budge....

sthornwall
12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey guys- It's rare that I fool around with my Remington in general, but today I tried to attach a PG instead of the synthetic stock.

It's been a while since I took this thing apart- is there a trick to the stock bolt? I truly cannot seem to get it to even budge. There's no moisture or anything it's been exposed to so corrosion's not an issue. That's just a b*tch to remove. Is there a better tool to use than a long flathead screwdriver?

You could try using a ratchet and socket on an extension with a flat tip attachment or even use a cordless drill with an extension. It would be even more useful if you put the weapon in a vice so you can get better leverage on it. Be sure to wrap your shotgun in a towel first before you vice it to prevent external damage. Hope this works out for you, good luck.

prebans
12-14-2006, 12:56 PM

I had problems with a Mossberg that came in some time back- like the screw was welded in place. (Oddly enough, I was trying to do the exact opposite of what you're doing!) My solution was to squirt in a bunch of Kroil and let it soak overnight. The next day I applied a medium amount of force and the screw came free.

Head over to Brownells-- see http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7610&title=KROIL

I recommend going with the pour can over the aerosol can. You'll be able to direct the stream and concentration of liquid much easier using the pour can. Furthermore, two of my friends with aerosol reported that the can quit spraying- like it lost pressure or something. (?) Considering the price difference (and the accompanying ORM-D shipping & handling!), I don't want to dump a half full container because the aerosol's dead.

FWIW,

Mike