PDA

View Full Version : Chabot and OLLs

permanent_45
12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Any one have any problems at Chabot with OLLs? I just ordered my first and hope to have it ready for the new year:D Any info would be great.

chiefcrash
12-14-2006, 11:00 AM
you won't get any problems from the range staff (the RSO will probably ask questions like if you've had any problems, how much, etc.)

now if some off duty cops come by or something, it's anybody's guess

Jack_Bauer
12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
you won't get any problems from the range staff (the RSO will probably ask questions like if you've had any problems, how much, etc.)

now if some off duty cops come by or something, it's anybody's guess

I haven't had any problems with either my fixed mag kit or my gripless with MM grip. They're fine with the fixed mag kit as long s your break it open during cease fire and pull back the bolt so they can check the chamber. As stated above, the RSOs will ask questions about who makes the upper, the fixed mag kit, who has the best LPK and mag, etc.

etruscan
12-14-2006, 11:04 AM
youre fine at chabot. ive seen a lot of OLLs there.

creampuff
12-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I haven't had any problems at Chabot with OLL.

guimus
12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been to Chabot some days when the 100 line is OLL row. 5-6 benches in a row of folks with OLL's and AR's in various configurations. Pretty nice.

permanent_45
12-14-2006, 1:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Some people just dont understand the laws so I just want to make sure.

grywlfbg
12-14-2006, 2:03 PM
As others have said - you won't have any problems.

The RSO will often ask if the mag is fixed because as part of the cease fire procedure they tell you to open the action and *remove all magazines*. I lock the bolt back and insert my chamber flag. But the RSO will see the mag still installed and ask if it's fixed. When I say it's a fixed mag they're cool.

Coyote Point OTOH.... :rolleyes:

Chris

bwiese
12-14-2006, 3:38 PM
Coyote Point OTOH.... :rolleyes:
Chris

Have you had OLL problems at Coyote Pt? Please let me know.

If you do have a real AW , you do have to show your reg papers. Kinda understandable, as that range is run by Sheriff's Dept.

oaklander
12-14-2006, 3:52 PM
+1 for Chabot - I've been going there practically every weekend since last Spring. Zero problems.

grywlfbg
12-14-2006, 4:16 PM
Have you had OLL problems at Coyote Pt? Please let me know.

If you do have a real AW , you do have to show your reg papers. Kinda understandable, as that range is run by Sheriff's Dept.

I have always been allowed to shoot there but they hassle me.

First time I showed up the guy working the counter asked what rifle I would be firing and I told him, "a semi-automatic .223". He said, "an AR?". I said, "It's an AR-style semi-automatic rifle.". Him, "Do you have DoJ paperwork?" Me: "It's not an assault weapon" Him: "I'll have to check w/ the rangemaster".

Rangemaster asks to see the rifle so I open my case and show him the mag is fixed (Prince50). He gives me the whole schtick about how the regs are changing, that if a LEO hassles me to not tell them he (rangemaster) said it was ok, but it sounds like I know what I'm talking about (as I regalled him w/ the regs from memory) so it's ok.

Again, they always let me shoot and it's so convenient for me I'll continue to go there but it's a freaking fire drill every time I show up - they make me feel like they're doing me a favor to take my money and let me shoot.

I guess I'm just spoiled from going to Chabot where last Friday one of the RSO's (I can't remember his name... Curtis maybe?) chatted with me through an entire firing period about OLL's, asking what upper and lower I'm using, costs, who xfers OLL's for cheap, optics, telling me to come out for rifle PPC and tac rifle, etc.

Chris

wooger
12-14-2006, 4:28 PM
Has anyone had problems at Richmond with OLL's?

Dont Tread on Me
12-14-2006, 5:36 PM
If I'm working I'll give you a thumbs up as I clear the line and might ask you if I can shoot it if you have a cool setup:)

The employee orientation makes it very clear that the job is to help ensure the safety rules of the range are observed and that is it.

PS - views and opinions are my own.

thedrickel
12-14-2006, 7:14 PM
I have always been allowed to shoot there but they hassle me.

First time I showed up the guy working the counter asked what rifle I would be firing and I told him, "a semi-automatic .223". He said, "an AR?". I said, "It's an AR-style semi-automatic rifle.". Him, "Do you have DoJ paperwork?" Me: "It's not an assault weapon" Him: "I'll have to check w/ the rangemaster".

Rangemaster asks to see the rifle so I open my case and show him the mag is fixed (Prince50). He gives me the whole schtick about how the regs are changing, that if a LEO hassles me to not tell them he (rangemaster) said it was ok, but it sounds like I know what I'm talking about (as I regalled him w/ the regs from memory) so it's ok.

Again, they always let me shoot and it's so convenient for me I'll continue to go there but it's a freaking fire drill every time I show up - they make me feel like they're doing me a favor to take my money and let me shoot.

I guess I'm just spoiled from going to Chabot where last Friday one of the RSO's (I can't remember his name... Curtis maybe?) chatted with me through an entire firing period about OLL's, asking what upper and lower I'm using, costs, who xfers OLL's for cheap, optics, telling me to come out for rifle PPC and tac rifle, etc.

Chris

Wow I'm surprised you get that much hassle at coyote point. Whenever I go there all I get is "what are you shooting today" (usually a fal and a couple mausers) "10 rd fixed mag right?" (yep) "ok, need any targets?".

They don't ask to see it, they get plenty of time to check it out on the firing line. First time I brought the fal the RSO says "I'd kill to have one of those in full auto" and "it just sucks you have to have a fixed mag, they were meant to be detachable"

I haven't tried an evil-featureless detachable mag setup there yet tho.

wilit
12-14-2006, 7:18 PM
I've chatted with the rangemaster from Chabot several times about the OLL. In fact, I think he even owns one. I know he mentioned he had a pre-ban AR as well. Cool guy.

hoffmang
12-14-2006, 8:38 PM
BTW all, huge thanks on the fact that Coyote is only a pain but will allow you. My office is 10 minutes away and my boat is in the Marina there.

-Gene

NRAhighpowershooter
12-14-2006, 8:45 PM
Has anyone had problems at Richmond with OLL's?

Richmond is good to go with OLL's too....

wilit
12-14-2006, 9:11 PM
+1 for Chabot. Now Manteca Sportsman's Club, that's a different story. The quote that had me laughing came from the Rangemaster about OLL's, "yea I don't like those things, you can convert them to full auto way too easy." I really don't think he had a clue as to what an OLL was. We tried explaining the fixed mag and all the Cali legal goodness. He still let us shoot, but that's prob the last time we'll take any OLL builds out there.

I know exactly who you're talking about. That guy is a total tool. He told my buddy (a huge gun nut) to be careful not to load 9mm rounds into his 40s&w because it could be dangerous. :confused: The funny thing was, my buddy doesn't even own a single firearm chambered in 40s&w. The pistols on the bench included a Glock 19, HK .45 USP, S&W .357, and a Beretta Bobcat.

ghost
12-14-2006, 9:23 PM
thats a good thing to know about.i live close to the chabot range and havent gone there yet,so when i do decide to go i hope i can meet up with some of you to shoot my own oll build.

Mnort10x
12-14-2006, 9:25 PM
BTW all, huge thanks on the fact that Coyote is only a pain but will allow you. My office is 10 minutes away and my boat is in the Marina there.

-Gene

I RSO at Coyote Point and OLL are OK, just explain yourself and the fact that they are fixed magazines or not SB23 (no pistol grip, etc.) and not AR's, your good to go. You must unload magazine and use Chamber Flags between target changes. There are about 36 different RSO's and they are all civilian volunteers. They come from the Club and work with the Sheriff's office to staff public shooting evenings. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 7:00pm to 10:PM all centerfire is bench rest at 100yds.
Hope to see you there.

mnort10x

grywlfbg
12-15-2006, 1:49 PM
I RSO at Coyote Point and OLL are OK, just explain yourself and the fact that they are fixed magazines or not SB23 (no pistol grip, etc.) and not AR's, your good to go. You must unload magazine and use Chamber Flags between target changes. There are about 36 different RSO's and they are all civilian volunteers. They come from the Club and work with the Sheriff's office to staff public shooting evenings. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 7:00pm to 10:PM all centerfire is bench rest at 100yds.
Hope to see you there.

mnort10x

Mnort,

Thanks - didn't realize there were that many RSO's - guess I just keep getting the new ones ;)

Gene,

Give a holler sometime if you want to hit Coyote Pt one evening - I live in San Mateo so I'm very close. I haven't met any calgunners yet - though I'm hoping to go to Tac rifle at Chabot on Sunday.

Chris

gose
12-15-2006, 2:13 PM
Mnort,
Thanks - didn't realize there were that many RSO's - guess I just keep getting the new ones ;)
Gene,
Give a holler sometime if you want to hit Coyote Pt one evening - I live in San Mateo so I'm very close. I haven't met any calgunners yet - though I'm hoping to go to Tac rifle at Chabot on Sunday.
Chris

I live in SSF and would be up for a Coyote Point meet as well.

hoffmang
12-15-2006, 2:26 PM
Sounds like I need to put something together between the Holidays.

-Gene

grywlfbg
12-15-2006, 6:38 PM
Between the holidays works well for me - How about the 27th at Coyote Pt. if the weather's good? Parents leave that morning so I'm free that evening.

Chris

12:13
12-15-2006, 8:47 PM
Chabot has a very relaxed atmosphere. I've shot my egsw bushie there 6 mos. ago (yes, unfortunately I didn't know about OLL's back then :eek: ) and none of the rso even blinked an eye. I was at the 200 yd line a few weeks back and there were rows of ARs - owned by one person I might add. I was about to ask him to adopt me but then realized I'm a bit old.... lost my train of thought... oh yeah, Chabot is OK with ARs. At the most, you may have to help educate some inquisitive shooters though.:D

NRAhighpowershooter
12-15-2006, 9:53 PM
12:13 if you were there on the Friday after Thanksgiving.. that would have been me with the row of OLL's on the 200yd line :-)

hoffmang
12-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm feeling a 27th of December at Coyote with my company and any Calgunners that want to come... I'll post something in a day or two.

-Gene

wilit
12-15-2006, 10:44 PM
An absolute tool. Older guy w/ a beard or sometimes funny mustache right? Can't stand him. He used to just be there on the weekends, but he's been there mid-week lately which has finally caused me to stop going. The older lady that usually runs things during the week is always very pleasant to deal with. That same guy told me not to use the dots on my Sig's night sights when aiming, but to align the top of the sights themselves....did my best not to laugh.

Yep, that's the guy. The old lady is awesome. Her husband is a pretty cool dude too.

Dont Tread on Me
12-16-2006, 6:33 AM
That same guy told me not to use the dots on my Sig's night sights when aiming, but to align the top of the sights themselves....did my best not to laugh.

Funny. I was told that I must use the slide stop to release the slide and not do my "sling shot" thing as it was dangerous....

12:13
12-20-2006, 7:52 PM
12:13 if you were there on the Friday after Thanksgiving.. that would have been me with the row of OLL's on the 200yd line :-)
Ahh-ha! Mystery solved.:) Yup, I was there that day. Just about the only Friday throughout the year that I get a holiday.:( I was there shooting the Sako TRG. Stupid me forgot to bring the magazine, too much in a hurry to get to the range. Had fun regardless. You've got some cool builds.

SmokinGun
12-20-2006, 8:20 PM
I made the mistake of asking the guy at Manteca Sportsmans Club if it was okay for me to sight in a Cali legal AK that I was building...luckily I didn't have it with me that day, just inquiring. Well, I got the whole lecture about "the laws changing" and "I better consult a firearms attorney" about the legality. He even opened up one of his brochures and gave me phone numbers for two attorneys. I normally just go there shooting handguns. Took my Rem700 over there to sight in a new scope and he would only let me shoot 3 rounds on the 25 yard line. Got to say though, that it's the closest place for me and I will still go there even I have to endure the lecture upon each visit. I will probably take my AK's to Chabot to get them dialed in and then take them over to Manteca for plinking. I'm sure the guy will probably crap his pants if he sees the AK's... Anyone else had any strange experiances out there?

JS-M1A
12-20-2006, 9:14 PM
I`ve been shooting at Manteca Sportsmans Club since I was 11.
The range master has never hassled me about any of my registered
Aw`s. I seen one guy out there with a fixed mag off list rifle. He never
even said boo to him. Was it a week day when you went? I have never
taken my mak90 over there but have heard from others they are less
than receptive to anything ak.

milw50717
12-20-2006, 9:27 PM
I was at Chabot on sunday firing my Rem 700 PSS and there was one black rifle present, in what looked like a fixed mag configuration. The shooters had a good time firing the BL and various handguns. I didn't have a chance to talk to them about their configuration as my better half called and I had to head home in a hurry.

All in all, the range looked cool with OLLs, so I'll be taking my gripless OLL along next time I go "bang bang poop poop" - the phrase comes from my 5yr old :) - at Chabot.

cornholio1
12-20-2006, 9:47 PM

-Gene

How about a weekend of shooting and a weekend of fishing on your boat? eh? hehe

M. Sage
12-21-2006, 5:28 PM
Funny. I was told that I must use the slide stop to release the slide and not do my "sling shot" thing as it was dangerous....

Lol, what if you've got a pistol with a slide catch and no release? Must be really super unsafe, then. :p

Now I'm considering heading out that way, just to shoot my CZ52 and freak 'em out...

Oh, and I love shooting at Chabot. Everybody there's cool as it gets.

SmokinGun
12-21-2006, 7:09 PM
Yea just go back a few pages and read mine and Wilit's posts. You may want to take your AK to Linden, they really don't care what you're shooting out there. They're the only range in the county that allows .50 BMG's.

Thanks for the tip on Linden...I will check that out!