PDA

View Full Version : Paul Helmke Lashes Out Again

jdberger
06-04-2011, 12:16 PM
In a desperate attempt to remain relevant, The Brady Campaign's Paul Helmke is now lashing out against musicians (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/rihanna-defends-man-down-bet-stands-video/story?id=13749448)who don't toe the line.

Apparently, musical artist Rhianna, made a video to go with her new song, "Man Down". The video depicts a rape and the victim's revenge in which she shoots her attacker.

Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, condemned the idea of sending a message that violence should beget more violence.

"Pre-meditated murder is just as horrible and unacceptable as sexual assault, and we would hope that Rihanna and her music label would consider the potential impact of sending a message that violence should beget more violence." Helmke said. "But it is the real murder of 32 Americans every day by guns that disturbs and horrifies us most."

Uh...Paul, darling.... It's a freakin' music video. It's fiction. It's a story.

Don't you have better things to do?

Sad panda.

Ding126
06-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Anti-gun / anti 2nd A is a mental disorder.

Icypu
06-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Im surprised that Paul Helmke listens to R&B. I figured he was more of a polka guy. Personally, I don't see any of the conduct with firearms depicted in BET or even CMTV videos really helping the 2nd amendment.

rero360
06-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Sad panda indeed.

There was a case in Spain where a man raped a girl, after he got out on parole the mom ran into him on the street, followed him into a bar where she dumped a cup of gas on him and lit his sorry butt on fire. I applaud her actions.

Helmke is no longer relevant, he should just bow out and retire, but he won't and we will have many a laugh at his expense.

G1500
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Sad panda indeed.

There was a case in Spain where a man raped a girl, after he got out on parole the mom ran into him on the street, followed him into a bar where she dumped a cup of gas on him and lit his sorry butt on fire. I applaud her actions.

Helmke is no longer relevant, he should just bow out and retire, but he won't and we will have many a laugh at his expense.

The man currently speaks to rooms full of empty chairs. He will continue to do so until he can no longer physically appear and speak.

The man will never give up. Too bad he is arguing for something that is completely backwards and pointless.

The Shadow
06-04-2011, 1:06 PM
Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, condemned the idea of sending a message that violence should beget more violence.

"Pre-meditated murder is just as horrible and unacceptable as sexual assault, and we would hope that Rihanna and her music label would consider the potential impact of sending a message that violence should beget more violence." Helmke said. "But it is the real murder of 32 Americans every day by guns that disturbs and horrifies us most."

32 x 365 = 11,680 people die everyday by guns, according to Helmke

versus

118 x 365 = 43,070 people dying on our roads from motor vehicle accidents every year, and we and our cars are REGISTERED.

What the antis refuse to acknowledge is the fact that 1% of Americans use guns for self defense everyday. According to Gary Kleck, that means that of the 307,006,550 Americans who live in the United States, 8,411 people use a firearm daily, to defend their life, or the life of someone else.

8411 x 365 = 3,070,015

Helmke will have to do a lot better than that, if he wants me to sympathize with his position.

So what's the bottom line ? For every person killed by a firearm, 263 people's lives are saved by a firearm.

8411 / 33 = 262.84. Rounded off, it's 263.

krucam
06-04-2011, 1:27 PM
Sad Helmke ought to get busy. Look whats been happening over the past decades!!

Bad, bad Leroy Brown
Jamie's got a Gun
Used to Love Her, But I had to Kill her
Saturday Night Special, Gimme 3 Steps
Folson Prison Blues
I Shot the Sheriff
Bubba Shot the Jukebox (thinking of the Pina Colada song)
Hey Joe
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Lawyers, Guns & Money
Country Boy can Survive
Santeria

The Peter Gunn Theme?
1812 Overture?

Jeez, what's next?

G60
06-04-2011, 1:27 PM
"Our records have stickers with a warning from Tipper, cuz we're no good for kids, if we'd get her we'd strip her"

Dreaded Claymore
06-04-2011, 1:32 PM
Hahahahaha! I love the 1812 Overture! Now whenever I hear it, I'll think of Paul Helmke and laugh myself silly.

Ford8N
06-04-2011, 1:36 PM

I really want to see a profile of these "32 Americans" who are murdered.

The Shadow
06-04-2011, 1:41 PM

I really want to see a profile of these "32 Americans" who are murdered.

But again, even if we give Helmke the benefit of the doubt, Helmke's numbers are still far from persuasive when you compare the ratio of 263 people saved by guns to one person murdered by a gun per day.

247Nino
06-04-2011, 1:53 PM
Paul Helmke: rape is acceptable, self-defense is not

Quser.619
06-04-2011, 2:07 PM
Wow, a noted civil rights hater, now opposes the 1st in addition to the 2nd. Who's surprised?

BigDogatPlay
06-04-2011, 2:33 PM

I guess we shouldn't tell him what Martina McBride's 'Independence Day' is about, eh? Helmke will want to ban matches.

Sad panda indeed........

Ford8N
06-04-2011, 4:23 PM
But again, even if we give Helmke the benefit of the doubt, Helmke's numbers are still far from persuasive when you compare the ratio of 263 people saved by guns to one person murdered by a gun per day.

I 100% agree, his numbers are just laughable and only an idiot would be swayed to his logic. BUT, Helmke and his minions in Sacramento rule this state. He has the last laugh. And it really shows how intelligent the voters of this state are and how much they value the Constitution.

bulgron
06-04-2011, 4:56 PM

It's too bad more things like this don't happen in the world. If it did, there'd be a whole lot fewer rapists, and society as a whole would be much improved.

GOEX FFF
06-04-2011, 4:58 PM
And the discussion of violent movies, TV and videos games has been debated for how many decades now?
Does Helmke think he's coming up with something new and relevant here?

He's just not anti gun.... Walter Paul Helmke is an all out pacifist.

corrupt
06-04-2011, 6:18 PM
I guess if it wasn't Paul Helmke clinging on to a little exposure, it'd be some other gun nut weirdo (THEY are the gun nuts) that the media would be asking.

Ubermcoupe
06-04-2011, 7:01 PM
PH is using logically fallacies again... :innocent:

Stonewalker
06-04-2011, 8:20 PM
This makes me very happy. Just look at him grasp at straws. Just look at him. Also I like that song a lot.

ZombieTactics
06-04-2011, 8:27 PM
Given the clear anti-gun association with denying the right of self-defense to minorities, it's telling that the Bradys choose to single out only a young black woman's song.

It seem their true colors are showing through again: They are anti-gun, anti-free speech, and bigots to the core.

cdtx2001
06-04-2011, 8:51 PM
Hahahahaha! I love the 1812 Overture! Now whenever I hear it, I'll think of Paul Helmke and laugh myself silly.

I love hearing that tune when the Army is around and brings their cannons. The bigger the cannons, the better the song!

nicki
06-04-2011, 9:09 PM
I would be curious as to how much effort is given to investigating the rapes of black females in this country

Perhaps there is a silent epidemic of sexual assaults that is not on mainstream America's radar.

It would be helpful if we had someone from the Afro American community chime in.

The Afro American community reaches mainstream America through entertainment such as music, movies etc.

Nicki

HowardW56
06-04-2011, 9:16 PM
Have you ever looked at the expression on Paul Helmke's face and wondered if he just needs more fiber in his diet, or a looser pair of shorts, or both...

He sure is full of it!

MaHoTex
06-04-2011, 9:22 PM
Sad Helmke ought to get busy. Look whats been happening over the past decades!!

Bad, bad Leroy Brown
Jamie's got a Gun
Used to Love Her, But I had to Kill her
Saturday Night Special, Gimme 3 Steps
Folson Prison Blues
I Shot the Sheriff
Bubba Shot the Jukebox (thinking of the Pina Colada song)
Hey Joe
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Lawyers, Guns & Money
Country Boy can Survive
Santeria

The Peter Gunn Theme?
1812 Overture?

Jeez, what's next?

It's Janie's got a gun. Good to know that Jamie got one too.

Stonewalker
06-04-2011, 9:28 PM
It's Janie's got a gun. Good to know that Jamie got one too.

Also, Saturday Night Special contains the lyric
Well hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ole fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me

Yep, they were a bunch of friggen antis.

Rattlehead
06-04-2011, 9:40 PM

Pretty much, this guy makes me sick.

whisperingdoom
06-04-2011, 9:51 PM
..hope doesn't get *** raped by a shotgun...cause then he might really get butt hurt.

http://snakeriverarms.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/pro_10246_1_8.jpg

G60
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Very true. So many are chastising a victim of domestic violence for raising her voice and saying it is OK to refuse to be a victim.

Why not piss and moan about tv shows being shown around the clock on almost every channel that portray senseless murder.

Why single out a victim of violence for wanting to fight back?

They simply do not want people to think it's ok to defend yourself.

Stonewalker
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
..hope doesn't get *** raped by a shotgun...cause then he might really get butt hurt.

http://snakeriverarms.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/pro_10246_1_8.jpg

Hm. Not cool. Reminds me of what Mayor Daley at one time...

DHSMMcJEQqU

But let's keep it civil, he's our political foe, not an enemy combatant.

whisperingdoom
06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
what what in the buthttp://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_12/sp_1204_08_v9.jpg?width=200

lavgrunt
06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
.....'Rhiana' is just straight smokin' hot............That's all I saw in the video...........

G1500
06-04-2011, 11:42 PM
.....'Rhiana' is just straight smokin' hot............That's all I saw in the video...........

Not really.

mdimeo
06-05-2011, 1:18 AM

My ears hurt just looking at that shotgun.

Anchors
06-05-2011, 5:49 AM
There is a girl on the video commenting that identified as a rape victim who is adamant that she would never have killed her attacker at any point in time.

I had to point out that my 96 pound girlfriend would be an easy target for rape, but she knows how to shoot and handle firearms. I also pointed out that killing someone while they are attempting to rape you is legally justified in most states.

I've said it before, but I will never understand the victim mentality.

vantec08
06-05-2011, 6:01 AM
It has taken about 40 years to get the public into the "statist" frame of mind, something I never thought I would see happen (along with the Boy Scouts and NRA becoming the Evil Empire).

Rich Keagy
06-05-2011, 6:23 AM
I enjoy living in a world where a 96-lb woman can dispatch
a 300-lb man instantly. (Your 96-lb girlfriend is someone's 96-lb
daughter.)
I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
G*d bless the 2nd Amendment.

HondaMasterTech
06-05-2011, 7:13 AM
I saw a story where a boy was kidnapped, raped and then found and returned to his family.

When the POS who did this was being transfered somewhere, the father was waiting. Pulled out a pistol and shot the POS dead.

The father was aquitted and set free.

My post is in no way meant to condoned any type of behavior.

Just sayin'.

Stonewalker
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I enjoy living in a world where a 96-lb woman can dispatch
a 300-lb man instantly. (Your 96-lb girlfriend is someone's 96-lb
daughter.)
I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
G*d bless the 2nd Amendment.

Oleg Volk puts these principles into messages. Check out his work -

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/watermelon4399.jpg
http://olegvolk.net/blog/2011/04/29/compensating-for-somehing/
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/handicapped8619.jpg.html
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/equalizer_8018.jpg.html
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/foot-pounds_4946web.jpg.html

SigAlert
06-05-2011, 3:52 PM
Mr. Helmke needs to drum up press on a regular basis to justify his $249,555 (http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/law-and-public-interest/brady-center-to-prevent-gun-violence-in-washington-dc-1136) salary.

Walker
06-05-2011, 4:16 PM
I saw a story where a boy was kidnapped, raped and then found and returned to his family.

When the POS who did this was being transfered somewhere, the father was waiting. Pulled out a pistol and shot the POS dead.

Just sayin'.

not aquitted but darn near close enough for a murder caught on tape.

http://youtu.be/Oi3Hyxuf5AE

cineski
06-05-2011, 7:20 PM
Rapists and the worst sexual predators should be shot in the head. Mrs. Helmke needs to get her priorities straight.

IrishPirate
06-05-2011, 7:21 PM

No, they don't.....:cool:

Too bad the guy she shot didn't look like Chris Brown.....that would have been AWESOME!!!

Dreaded Claymore
06-05-2011, 7:53 PM
No, they don't.....:cool:

Too bad the guy she shot didn't look like Chris Brown.....that would have been AWESOME!!!

Why, who's that?

(consults Wikipedia)

Oh. Yeah, it would have been, ahahahaha!

Anchors
06-05-2011, 8:20 PM

Just sayin'.

I can't believe he didn't go to prison.

Mr. Helmke needs to drum up press on a regular basis to justify his $249,555 (http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/law-and-public-interest/brady-center-to-prevent-gun-violence-in-washington-dc-1136) salary.

WOW. $249k? and that is just on the books...I bet all his travels, etc are written off by Brady.

not aquitted but darn near close enough for a murder caught on tape.

http://youtu.be/Oi3Hyxuf5AE

Damn. lol.

Mulay El Raisuli
06-06-2011, 6:06 PM
In a desperate attempt to remain relevant, The Brady Campaign's Paul Helmke is now lashing out against musicians (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/rihanna-defends-man-down-bet-stands-video/story?id=13749448)who don't toe the line.

Apparently, musical artist Rhianna, made a video to go with her new song, "Man Down". The video depicts a rape and the victim's revenge in which she shoots her attacker.

Sad panda.

I don't recall him making such a fuss when "Goodbye Earl" came out. Does that mean that shooting someone is bad but poisoning peas is OK?

The Raisuli