PDA

View Full Version : Update on anti-gun bills in California, June 2

javalos
06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Status Update on Anti-Gun Bills in California

Thursday, June 02, 2011
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6862

Unfortunately, several anti-gun bills have passed in their chambers of origin and have moved to the opposite legislative body for consideration. These bills must be stopped and your help is needed!

The following bills have passed in the Assembly and are now in the Senate Public Safety Committee. Please call AND e-mail members of the Senate Public Safety Committee urging them to OPPOSE AB 144 and AB 809. Contact information for the Senate Public Safety Committee can be found here.

Assembly Bill 144, introduced by anti-gun Assemblyman Anthony Portantino (D-44), would change the state’s gun laws and prohibit law-abiding citizens from carrying an unloaded handgun openly. There are currently only six states that do not allow for the open carrying of a firearm. California is the ONLY state considering banning open carry. In fact, many states are considering legislation to loosen the restrictions on gun owners by allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a firearm without a permit. AB 144 passed in the state Assembly by a 45 to 29 vote. This bill is currently scheduled to be heard in the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, June 7.

Assembly Bill 809, introduced again by F-rated Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-42), would establish a state registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired rifles and shotguns. Under AB 809, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office. AB 809 passed in the state Assembly by a 47 to 29 vote.

The following bills have passed in the state Senate and are now in the Assembly Public Safety Committee. Please call AND e-mail members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee urging them to OPPOSE SB 124, SB 427, SB 798 and SB 819. Contact information for the Assembly Public Safety Committee can be found here.

Senate Bill 124, introduced by anti-gun extremist state Senator Kevin De León, would create a broadly expanded and technically flawed definition of handgun ammunition which would encompass virtually all rifle cartridges. It would also ban the possession of many types of rifle cartridges and make it a felony to possess them. SB 124 doesn’t stop there; it could also ban virtually all non-lead ammunition used in California by reclassifying them as “armor piercing.” If this bill did not already make owning a firearm difficult, an amendment was added by the bill sponsor to further add more problems for gun owners. SB 124 would also require the registration of ammunition and banning of mail-order ammunition. This bill would have enormous ramifications for California gun owners and sportsmen to include a complete ban on hunting in the California condor zone in which the use of lead ammunition is prohibited for hunting. SB 124 passed in the state Senate by a 22 to 16 vote.

Senate Bill 427, introduced by Senator De León, would force licensed state ammunition retailers to obtain a special local license to operate in municipalities. These retailers would also be required to notify local law enforcement before conducting business within their jurisdiction. Anti-gun activists are determined to take away gun ownership piece by piece and this bill targets ammunition. SB 427 passed in the state Senate by a 22 to 14 vote.

Senate Bill 798, introduced by Senator De León, would treat air and BB guns the same as a toy gun by requiring the entire exterior surface of the device to be white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple as the predominate color. BB guns are not toys and should not be treated as or manufactured like a toy. SB 798 passed in the state Senate by a 21 to 16 vote.

Senate Bill 819, introduced by F-rated state Senator Mark Leno (D-3), would allow Dealer Record of Sales (DROS) funds to go to the Department of Justice to help pay for the enforcement of California firearm possession laws. The DROS fund monies were originally collected from every firearm purchaser to pay for the administrative process for background checks. However, these funds have been raided to help the Department of Justice pay their bills. As a result, the DROS fund will certainly run out of money. When it does, what will be their answer to this problem – another increase in the fees for background checks. SB 819 passed in the state Senate by a 22 to 16 vote.

Please forward this alert to your family, friends and fellow gun owners and urge them to also call their state legislators to OPPOSE these anti-gun bills.

R8RRunner
06-04-2011, 11:29 AM
I wish CA would realize restricting law abiding citizens does very little except for make them vulnerable to those with criminal intentions. Criminals will still be criminals and get there hands on whatever they want regardless of any laws.

Looks like I have some emails to send when I get home today. Thanks for the info!!

Posted from Tapatalk
On my iPhone 4

FeuerFrei
06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah! New set of stupid laws!
These will pass and Jerry will sign. The end.
These laws are designed to make lawful gun owners into criminals.
They (govt) cannot do their jobs by preventing crime and catching the bad apples so they invent a new set of laws to confuse and capture the people that have "nothing to hide".
They are great at creating confusion for the law abiding. Some poor slob will get caught and they will puff their chest and say " see, bad guy caught w/bad evil weapon, our new laws work!"

violator22348
06-05-2011, 12:51 AM
It's over...full donkeycrat assembly, senate, governor. They win. Only answer is to move to AZ, UT, or ID.

Anchors
06-05-2011, 5:30 AM
124, 144, 809, and 819 are really ruining my morning.

vantec08
06-05-2011, 6:04 AM
Lets hear from the "well, brown is actually a 2nd amendment guy" crowd.

HondaMasterTech
06-05-2011, 7:09 AM
I wish CA would realize restricting law abiding citizens does very little except for make them vulnerable to those with criminal intentions. Criminals will still be criminals and get there hands on whatever they want regardless of any laws.

Looks like I have some emails to send when I get home today. Thanks for the info!!

Posted from Tapatalk
On my iPhone 4

Get the idea out of your head that these politicians are trying to make the world a safer place.

uyoga
06-05-2011, 8:39 AM
[B]Assembly Bill 144, introduced by anti-gun Assemblyman Anthony Portantino (D-44), would change the state’s gun laws and prohibit law-abiding citizens from carrying an unloaded handgun openly. There are currently only six states that do not allow for the open carrying of a firearm. California is the ONLY state considering banning open carry. In fact, many states are considering legislation to loosen the restrictions on gun owners by allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a firearm without a permit. AB 144 passed in the state Assembly by a 45 to 29 vote. This bill is currently scheduled to be heard in the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, June 7.

The current law "allowing" law abiding citizens to openly carry an unloaded weapon is no friend of the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment exists to guarantee persons the pre-existing right of armed self defense.

This right includes the right to be "armed and ready" to defend oneself, family, etc. Unloaded Open Carry does not provide that.

In fact, in my opinion, we lost Peruta at the District Court level precisely because the judge - erroneously - believed that the existing Open Carry laws were an adquate replacement for the right to Carry Concealed, and therefore ruled that San Diego's scheme of preferential and restrictive CCW policy did not entirely offend the Second Amendment.

I may be offending some in this forum, which is certainly not my intent, but once Open Carry is declared unlawful by AB 144, as I believe it will, there will not be any lawful outside the home armed self defense protection in California, and the Peruta excuse will no longer be available to any judges rendering an opinion in support of restrictive, capricious, arbitrary, discriminatory, and preferential CCW policies.

CaliB&R
06-05-2011, 9:30 AM
I just emailed the assembly committee, and my senator on the senate committee.

DannyInSoCal
06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Done and posted/shared on FaceBook.

Where are all the gun shops in this fight?

No flyers in the stores. No banners on their websites.

The NRA has proven to be a weak stick in CA - We must have a better plan than to leave it in their hands.

The decision to leave this F'ed up state - And let the illegals and liberals try to pay for everything on their own - Gets easier everyday...

Wernher von Browning
06-05-2011, 1:31 PM
The decision to leave this F'ed up state - And let the illegals and liberals try to pay for everything on their own - Gets easier everyday...

You can run, but you can't hide.

When California goes flat-***** broke (like, it isn't already?) the government (as in, your tax dollars -- no matter where you live) is going to bail them out. Remember, California is too big to fail...

CaliforniaLiberal
06-05-2011, 2:15 PM

What are you saying? The Governor can't veto a bill until it is passed by both Houses of the Legislature. Helloooo?

The best Executives manage to quietly exert what influence they have to sink bills before they leave the Legislature to avoid having to use a veto when possible, but there are limits to this influence.

Will you eat these words when Our Jerry starts laying down the Veto like Samson with the Jawbone of an A*s? Stay tuned next September at the end of the Legislative Session. Could get exciting.

In the meantime maybe you can catch up on how a bill becomes a law.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bil2lawd.html

CaliforniaLiberal
06-05-2011, 2:20 PM
The NRA has proven to be a weak stick in CA - We must have a better plan than to leave it in their hands........

The NRA and CRPA do excellent work behind the scenes in California. Just because they don't boast and broadcast their successes at high volume doesn't mean they aren't getting the job done. NRA and CRPA legislative lobbyists Rock! But under the Radar.

microwaveguy
06-05-2011, 2:26 PM

Well until it reaches his desk we really don't know what he will do......... and no I didn't vote for him. I am absolutely sure Meg would sign all of these if she was governor.

CitaDeL
06-05-2011, 2:55 PM
Im surprised this wasnt included in the initial alert. Here are the contact numbers for those on the Senate Safety Committee. Even if its nearly certain to advance, we still need suppressive fire.

Senator Loni Hancock (Chair)(916) 651-4009
Senator Joel Anderson (Vice Chair)(916) 651-4036
Senator Ron Calderon (916) 651-4030
Senator Tom Harman (916) 651-4035
Senator Carol Liu (916) 651-4021
Senator Curren Price (916) 651-4026
Senator Darrell Steinberg (916) 651-4006

KandyRedCoi
06-05-2011, 3:16 PM

Posted from Tapatalk
On my iPhone 4

^thisx100000

i emailed them anyway i hope it helps....more of a reason to stock up now before its too late

mag360
06-05-2011, 9:06 PM
i'll be in LA on Friday, is it legal for me to stand outside DeLeon's LA office with a sign that reads "DeLeon, pissing on the 2nd Amendment since 12/4/2006" and another that says "DeLeon hates Liberty"

Mr310
06-05-2011, 9:15 PM
i'll be in LA on Friday, is it legal for me to stand outside DeLeon's LA office with a sign that reads "DeLeon, pissing on the 2nd Amendment since 12/4/2006" and another that says "DeLeon hates Liberty"

Negative. 1st Amendment protects you. He is a public figure. End of story.

mag360
06-05-2011, 9:33 PM
ok cool, I'll probably have my girlfriend help me out. She can turn heads, I'm "just another gun nut with a sign"

Mr310
06-05-2011, 9:54 PM
I'm sorry, I read your post as illegal. What you described is perfectly legal is what I meant to say. So substitute "positive" for the first word in my response. :)

repubconserv
06-05-2011, 10:09 PM

I think the law makers realize that... they just don't give a D*** about us

Just-in
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Group buy on real estate elsewhere?

Helpful_Cub
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
The NRA and CRPA do excellent work behind the scenes in California. Just because they don't boast and broadcast their successes at high volume doesn't mean they aren't getting the job done. NRA and CRPA legislative lobbyists Rock! But under the Radar.

Call me crazy, but if they're really getting the job done then why do we have 4 anti-bills about to pass??? We'll end up having to beat these in the courts because our lobbyists couldn't do it. It would probably be much cheaper to kills these bills early than fight then to the SCOTUS. But you got to do, what you got to do.

repubconserv
06-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Im surprised this wasnt included in the initial alert. Here are the contact numbers for those on the Senate Safety Committee. Even if its nearly certain to advance, we still need suppressive fire.

Senator Loni Hancock (Chair)(916) 651-4009
Senator Joel Anderson (Vice Chair)(916) 651-4036
Senator Ron Calderon (916) 651-4030
Senator Tom Harman (916) 651-4035
Senator Carol Liu (916) 651-4021
Senator Curren Price (916) 651-4026
Senator Darrell Steinberg (916) 651-4006

what would be the best time of what day to call, I'm going to be making quite a few calls tomorrow... so will my friends and family ;)

Hunt
06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Don't worry about it, this State is only a few months away from becoming a failed State.
They'll never be able to enforce any of it, they'll be way too busy dealing with the riots.
Glad I bought my get away place in the remote Az boonies.

Librarian
06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
what would be the best time of what day to call, I'm going to be making quite a few calls tomorrow... so will my friends and family ;)

Regular business hours; if they're gone, usually you'll get an answering machine.

Hunt
06-05-2011, 10:44 PM

CA isn't like the rest of the US they arrest people that excersize their rights here, be forwarned. You will be breaking some law and you will be thrown in jail.

QQQ
06-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Some laws should be ignored.

Gee whiz, I hope our lawmakers get their heads out of their asses and vote these laws down, since they have such a good track record of only voting for legislation that actually makes sense.

Helpful_Cub
06-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Some laws should be ignored.

Gee whiz, I hope our lawmakers get their heads out of their asses and vote these laws down, since they have such a good track record of only voting for legislation that actually makes sense.

I messaged all of my reps last week and still no replies back from them. I figured I'd at least get an automated reply... Is phone calls the only way to get a message through to them?

DannyInSoCal
06-05-2011, 11:49 PM

If they had "great successes" - The Anti's wouldn't have the balls to introduce these bullcrap bills in the first place.

I also notice that only ONE out of EIGHTEEN of the NRA backed politicians on my voting ballot was elected the last time around.

Piss poor by my standards...

B.Smith1984
06-06-2011, 12:28 AM
How is Senator WOLK 5Th District

luckystrike
06-06-2011, 1:09 AM
I wonder if these people can see the back of their teeth.

KandyRedCoi
06-06-2011, 8:41 AM
Group buy on real estate elsewhere?

I can help :)

WeekendWarrior
06-06-2011, 9:12 AM
We should go on the offensive and push for legislation banning wine and cheese shops or new regulations that make them almost impossible to operate. :D