View Full Version : Fixing stock question

06-03-2011, 9:36 PM
So guys, my cousin offered to take me clay shooting yesterday (I love free shooting :)) about 30 rds (light birdshot) in, my stock feels like it is going to fall off. so I switch my 28" barrel over to my other shotgun and resume shooting with that.

When I get home, I check to see why my stock was coming loose, and I see the crack(s) in the stock as shown in the pics.

anyways I dont want to buy a new stock now, and my other 500's LOP is 3" shorter than the cracked stock, so it is uncomfortable to shoot clays with... should I fix this one or buy a new one?

BTW, the "broken" gun is an unknown number of years old, and it is a mossberg 500 AB

06-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Wood glue & watch EBay or here, for a $10-15 replacement. Good luck

06-04-2011, 3:47 AM
Take it off and see if the fracture goes all the way through or if its just a surface crack. if it goes all the way through get some gorilla wood glue then clamp the stock and let it dry. Sand it back down and refinish it you should be good to go. You can also get a BNIB one from mossberg or a used one. I picked up a complete set for 30$. The only problem I see with a used one you may want to change the front grip out also if you get a set because you may get a non matching finish if you just get a stock

06-04-2011, 4:23 AM
take the stock off and see if you can gently pull the stock apart if so get the wood glue and while opening and closing the crack work the glue in with your finger then clamp if posable if not masking tape will work with a lot of pressure but a clamp would be best wipe off any excess glue and their should be a lot of excess from forcing the glue in the crack with a damp rag
one tip after about 45 minutes check and see if any additional glue has seeped out and remove it should be tacky so hopefully you wont have to sand

if you cant get a gap large enough to get the glue in you can get a syringe and inject the glue and clamp

06-04-2011, 5:33 AM
if you cant get a gap large enough to get the glue in you can get a syringe and inject the glue and clamp

Could also blow the glue deep into the crack with compressed air.

06-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Your best bet will be to get a replacement off of flea-bay or here. Otherwise Neumrich will likely have them but they will be much more expensive.

06-04-2011, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the quick resonses, I think I can get some g glue in there. I did have another question on the loose stock.

The bolt that holds the stock is shorter than my other 500s bolt by about .2" would a shorter bolt work loose easier than a longer one?

06-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a mossberg 410 from the 50's that cracked like that, a screw and some metal twine wrap has stayed in place for a long time(no clue how long)

06-04-2011, 3:32 PM
A great excuse to get some Hogue overmolded furniture.