PDA

View Full Version : Shot some slugs today, holy cr@p

carnelianbay
06-03-2011, 12:41 PM
In preparation for training next week I took the 870 out for ammo patterning. Those that know me know that I shot in the Metcalf skeet league for years and reload so Im not new at this.

I got to the slugs and wow. After 10 shots I was done. 5 Remington 1 oz sluggers, and 5 Winchester Hi-Velocity 1700 FPS rifled slugs. I must say that at 50 yds that were right on point of aim. But they sure did kick. Makes a carbine feel like a .22

Am I just getting old?

prc77
06-03-2011, 12:43 PM
High base slugs will do that to ya. Find yourself some low recoil slugs.

vormav
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I was at the rifle range one day, and talking to the guy in the next bay and he said his cousin was visiting from Australia, so he took him shooting for the first time. They were shooting his 870, so I gave the guy a nice 3 inch magnum to slip into the gun for his cousin. The look on his face was pretty priceless when he felt that thing kick :devil2:

sanjosebmx
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I did a class out in Morgan Hill, we shot about 100 rds of Birdshot, around 50 of 00 buck, and 15-20 slugs...some rapid fire...

oh yeah, it actually didn't hurt the shoulder much, got the chin a couple times.. had a nice bruise on my shoulder that lasted a few days though...

would I do it again??

HECK YEAH!

Fadedline
06-03-2011, 1:10 PM
I still cant get used to the 3.5 inch turkey load, my shoulder hurts thinking about it.

mif_slim
06-03-2011, 1:18 PM
Brake barrel Toppers hurt even in bird shots! LOL.. Imagine slugs!

CmpsdNoMore
06-03-2011, 3:26 PM
Slugs are no problem since I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on my Mossberg 500.

Well worth the money!

BigDogatPlay
06-03-2011, 3:26 PM
Am I just getting old?

No.... :D

High velocity slugs can and will whip your butt, even with good shouldering technique (which an experienced clays shooter would almost certainly have) and a gun set up to help some with a good pad like a Limbsaver or a recoil reducing stock. The energy to get a 1 ounce hunk of lead moving 1700 FPS is going to translate into plenty of recoil. I'm not at all recoil sensitive but I don't really care to shoot true high velocity slugs in great numbers.

As noted above, if the course includes slugs consider a Federal, Remington or Winchester reduced recoil load. Those run in the 1100-1200 fps range and will be considerably easier on your disposition. Squaring up your stance, as opposed to a more conventional clays type of stance, might help some too.

Might also be worthwhile to check your recoil pad condition. If it's at all stiffened up or dried out, you might consider swapping it out for a Limbsaver or Pachmyar Decellerator if you have enough time.

dagger10k
06-03-2011, 3:43 PM
Just last weekend I shot 11 3" magnum slugs in maybe 10 seconds during a 3 gun match. That was fun! :clap: Shoulder and cheek hurt a bit though.

Maltese Falcon
06-03-2011, 3:49 PM
I am not a big dude (155 lbs soaking wet), but I went through a Tactical Shotgun all day course (150 bird, 50 or so 00, 15 slug) with my Knoxx recoil absorbing stock with no problems, just generally tired. It worked well for me.

batstrider
06-03-2011, 5:17 PM
I've run the Remington Sluggers and Winchester HP slugs through my 870 with the factory recoil pad. No pain but I definitely felt the kick.

Removed the recoil pad and replaced it with some foam I cut out of a Plano gun case and taped it over with a few layers of electrical tape, shortened the LOP by about an inch and now I can barely feel recoil with the same slugs. Able to manage the recoil a lot better as well.

Did about 30 slugs per session, 10 of the Remingtons and the rest Winchester HPs.

chaseface
06-03-2011, 6:53 PM
I shoot 1oz slugs out of my 12 gauge all the time and didn't think the kick was too bad. Then last trip I through in some high power 00Buck and holy hell did those kick. Way worse than the slugs I was shooting. But then again I think the slugs were 2 3/4" and the 00 Buck was 3" so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

offdeez
06-03-2011, 9:01 PM
Rattled all my fillings a few months ago by firing 50 slugs through the 870!

tacticalcity
06-03-2011, 9:13 PM
The only time I had trouble shooting shotguns was the first time. The length of pull was way too long on the stock so I wasn't shouldering it properly and it hurt like hell. When I bought my own shotgun I put a correct length stock on it. Now shooting slugs is actually fun. So if your shotgun really is hurting you...perhaps it is just not the correct length for you? Perhaps you are twisting your body too much to reach the pump and not putting a nice solid platform behind the stock. In which case, you need a shorter stock. If you already have an adjustable stock, move in a notch or two. It might feel awkward to be so close to the receiver, but it will reduce the felt recoil considerably.

sirgiles
06-03-2011, 10:14 PM
should not hurt. :)

http://youtu.be/Gq74aiXn1b4

Cato
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Whenever I take my 870 out, my shoulder gets sore, and I'm not a small guy.

CmpsdNoMore
06-04-2011, 4:54 AM
should not hurt. :)

http://youtu.be/Gq74aiXn1b4

I watched that video about a year and a half ago and that also helps. I do find it hard to remember when rushed to take shots, however.

sanjosebmx
06-04-2011, 3:02 PM
Slugs are no problem since I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on my Mossberg 500.

Well worth the money!

Agreed.. I have just the slip on Limbsaver, and really the shoulder didn't hurt, maybe once when I was transitioning and didn't have it shouldered correctly (operator error)... the bruise, well I guess the energy had to go somewhere, but really the recoil felt insignificant during the day...and I did shoot a lot, the first time ever really shooting a 12g (well 2nd time, but not like I had done it a lot)...

OneWhiteDoor
06-04-2011, 4:35 PM
I took my new 870 7 shot out today and ran 15 Remington Sluggers and 100 Federal 7 1/2 shot through it. The slugs were on target out to around 75-100 yards, much better than I expected.

While the slugs had a stouter recoil, it didn't really bother me that much. I would shoot more of them if I could afford it :eek:

RaymondMillbrae
06-04-2011, 6:12 PM
Just last weekend I shot 11 3" magnum slugs in maybe 10 seconds during a 3 gun match. That was fun! :clap: Shoulder and cheek hurt a bit though.

Ha ha ha...no wonder that barrel flipped so much!

Loved the little "wind direction flag" you had hanging at the end of your barrel. ;)

Myself, I home-roll my own slugs. (See the clip below my signature - PROGRESSIVE RELOADING OF LYMAN SABOT SLUGS).

Those Lyman 525-grian sabot slug beasties are almost1 1/4 ounce!! I shoot them all day, and I am a soaking wet 155-pounds.

I guess it's the shooter that makes the difference.

In Christ: Raymond

safewaysecurity
06-04-2011, 6:25 PM
First time I shot slugs I shot maybe 7-8 rounds and I was done. I don't lik it but I gotta try that forearm 70-30 technique.

Lil Los
06-04-2011, 6:53 PM
My first time at the range the other day, they only allowed slugs (birdshot only at the skeet/trap field). I thought I was going to ease myself in with some #8 birdshot. I guess they figured I should jump right in with both feet. It wasn't too bad though.

gobi fish
06-05-2011, 6:21 AM
what ya gotta do is man up. that push pull thing dont really work (its more psychological and you cant really aim too well when your concentrating on trying to figure out the ratio your suppose to be using on your fake technique! Also, make sure you have that stock in your pocket nice and tight, if you think birdshot hitting you is bad when you have a gap in there, try a 3 inch mag slug slamming into your shoulder). those saying their technique is better over another are also lying as no matter what, recoil is recoil and its the exact opposite of whats comming out of the other end of the barrel (its callled physics and no matter how awesome or perfect your technique is, it can't beat physics)! If you doubt this, try checking this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion (To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction). its gonna hurt (espeically if your using 3 inch mag slugs!) and the only difference is if you can take it or not. try using cut lowrecoil birdshot shells if your afraid of the recoil from the big bad slug.

daveinwoodland
06-05-2011, 7:02 AM
Shot 30 once back when I was 18 or so. I believe the bruise is still there 35 years later.

CmpsdNoMore
06-05-2011, 8:00 AM
what ya gotta do is man up. that push pull thing dont really work..... Also, make sure you have that stock in your pocket nice and tight, if you think birdshot hitting you is bad when you have a gap in there, try a 3 inch mag slug slamming into your shoulder).

Maybe I misunderstood the guy in the video, but when I do that technique I don't leave a gap. You can see he's keeping it firmly in his shoulder. I pull the gun into the "pocket", but still put forward pressure with my support hand. As the guy said, basically some of the force (reaction) is going into the support arm instead of straight back into the shoulder.

This works for me, so it's what I do.
I have rib and shoulder problems so anything I can do to reduce the recoil helps.

prc77
06-05-2011, 8:51 AM
Ha ha ha...no wonder that barrel flipped so much!

Loved the little "wind direction flag" you had hanging at the end of your barrel. ;)

Myself, I home-roll my own slugs. (See the clip below my signature - PROGRESSIVE RELOADING OF LYMAN SABOT SLUGS).

Those Lyman 525-grian sabot slug beasties are almost1 1/4 ounce!! I shoot them all day, and I am a soaking wet 155-pounds.

I guess it's the shooter that makes the difference.

In Christ: Raymond now Raymond tell the truth.

Have you shot them out of your 870 with just a standard stock.

RaymondMillbrae
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
now Raymond tell the truth.

Have you shot them out of your 870 with just a standard stock.

I have the Knoxx recoil reducing stock on my Remmy 870P.

http://x9c.xanga.com/364f503006331264064304/o210531886.jpg

But I shoot those slug out of my FN SLP Mk1 all day for competition. As a matter of fact, I used them at the Memorial Day 3-Gun match at Sac during the "Slug Fest" stage. (Big holes on the target)!

http://x62.xanga.com/03af63e532d30274814013/o219055765.jpg

In Christ: Raymond

prc77
06-05-2011, 1:47 PM
what ya gotta do is man up. that push pull thing dont really work (its more psychological and you cant really aim too well when your concentrating on trying to figure out the ratio your suppose to be using on your fake technique! Also, make sure you have that stock in your pocket nice and tight, if you think birdshot hitting you is bad when you have a gap in there, try a 3 inch mag slug slamming into your shoulder). those saying their technique is better over another are also lying as no matter what, recoil is recoil and its the exact opposite of whats comming out of the other end of the barrel (its callled physics and no matter how awesome or perfect your technique is, it can't beat physics)! If you doubt this, try checking this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion (To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction). its gonna hurt (espeically if your using 3 inch mag slugs!) and the only difference is if you can take it or not. try using cut lowrecoil birdshot shells if your afraid of the recoil from the big bad slug.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80113

chaseface
06-05-2011, 5:34 PM
has anybody else tried this? What's interesting to me about it is that it's almost the opposite of what i was taught. To limit recoil, i was instructed to press the stock into my shoulder so the recoil wouldn't have 'room to run'. Seemed to make sense.

The video is compelling. I'm just wondering if other people are using this technique too.

Yep I just tuck it into my shoulder nice and tight. To break in my shotgun I used somewhere between 60-70 1oz Hollow Point Winchester slugs and it didn't hurt at all. I've got a Saiga 12 though and I think that the semi auto platform takes a lot of the recoil away.

chaseface
06-05-2011, 5:36 PM
I took my new 870 7 shot out today and ran 15 Remington Sluggers and 100 Federal 7 1/2 shot through it. The slugs were on target out to around 75-100 yards, much better than I expected.

While the slugs had a stouter recoil, it didn't really bother me that much. I would shoot more of them if I could afford it :eek:

At Wallyworld they had 15 packs of Winchester 1oz hollowpoint slugs for $8.99 a couple weeks ago.

CrippledPidgeon
06-05-2011, 5:38 PM
Now shoot slugs out of something with a metal buttplate :p My Winchester 1897 feels like taking a nice love tap in the shoulder with a baseball bat.