PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in my new m&p 15-22

delta9
06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I just got my m&p 15-22 and have yet to take it to the range.
I'm somewhat new to shooting at ranges having only gone plinking with a ruger 9mm and a 10/22 many years ago.

Whats involved in sighting in my m&p? Would I need a bi-pod or would ranges have something for me to steady the rifle? I live in San Francisco and the only ranges around here are indoor with 25 yards

How long does the process generally take?

How are they generally right out of the box?

parts kit
06-03-2011, 3:52 PM
congrats on the mp 15-22, great choice. as far as zeroing with the iron sights at 25 yards they should be dead on right out of the box, but if after you get comfortable with shooting it invest in an optic, i usually run a mueller 4.5-14x42mm apv scope on mine but the bushnell trs-25 is cool if you wnat a red dot.

Javi
06-03-2011, 3:54 PM
I just got my m&p 15-22 and have yet to take it to the range.
I'm somewhat new to shooting at ranges having only gone plinking with a ruger 9mm and a 10/22 many years ago.

Whats involved in sighting in my m&p? Would I need a bi-pod or would ranges have something for me to steady the rifle? I live in San Francisco and the only ranges around here are indoor with 25 yards

How long does the process generally take?

How are they generally right out of the box?

My nearby range has some sandbags on a bench so that's one of the best ways for me to sight in, it takes me out of the equation. Which sights do you have? The MBUS or the standard sights? It won't take long to sight it in. I don't know if mine was off right out of the box, I had bad form haha.

PayThePrice
06-03-2011, 10:57 PM
congrats on the mp 15-22, great choice. as far as zeroing with the iron sights at 25 yards they should be dead on right out of the box, but if after you get comfortable with shooting it invest in an optic,

agree 100%

bartt
06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
You can make your own sand bags..
get some sand and put it in a gallon zip-lock. put a couple of those in an old pillow case. Now go sight your rifle in...

Fliggidy
06-09-2011, 6:03 PM
congrats on the mp 15-22, great choice. as far as zeroing with the iron sights at 25 yards they should be dead on right out of the box, but if after you get comfortable with shooting it invest in an optic, i usually run a mueller 4.5-14x42mm apv scope on mine but the bushnell trs-25 is cool if you wnat a red dot.

Agree, 25 you'll be pretty much on target....

I myself just picked up an M&P 15-22 few weeks ago, took it to the outdoor range last week and at 25yrs with Irons i was shooting groups within a nickle. I decided to put on a tru glow red dot and at 50 yards after a little adjustment 10rds within a quarter... Got a Nc star scope and at 50 yards was within a dime firing 10 rounds.

What I ended up using for the bench was a bag of towels that I purchased at costco but never used so it's still in a bag... all i did was stuffed it in a pillow case and used packing tape to hold the ends down.... and used that as my rest instead of sand bags... just didn't want to carry 3 rifles in their case, ammo can, plus another 20lbs or so in sand...

let us know how you turn out....