PDA

View Full Version : Want to have a "CRPA" article published? At least 100,000 will read it!!!

oaklander
06-03-2011, 10:49 AM
One thing that I've really enjoyed about being a CRPA "member" (and now "Board Member") is The Firing Line (TFL)!

Starting a couple of years ago, me and Gene started writing stories for it - then we both got super busy on other stuff. What I am hoping is that some of you all will want to write a story for TFL.

Here's their little blurb from the most recent issue. The only thing I would add is that editing is somewhat important - so that the folks on "our" end don't have to do a lot of editing. So, if you are not a good editor - just forward your proposed article to me, and I will clean it up before you submit it. . .

I can't PROMISE that any certain article will run (that position is above my pay grade), but I will certainly advocate for your story if it's a good one!!!

The only other thing is that you need to be a CRPA member ($22/yr).

Right now - TFL is read by at least 100,000 folks (counting pass alongs) - maybe even more. So this is a good way to get your gun-related writing out to a larger audience, etc. . .

Here's an example of a story that TFL ran, a couple of years ago:
http://bit.ly/lkpeQm

SO DON'T BE SHY!!!!

:D

WANT TO BE A WRITER? GOT ANY STORIES?

In our ongoing desire to improve The Firing Line, it occurred to us that we are missing a wealth of untapped gun lore and experience residing in the minds of our members. We are therefore inviting you, the membership, to send us stories, opinions, articles, memories…in short, anything that you think your fellow members would get a kick out of or find challenging or informational.

We're not worried about editing, and we're not asking you to be Ernest Hemingway. Nor does it have to be neatly typed. Get it on paper any way you like and send it to us. We'll edit it, pretty it up, and use it in The Firing Line if we think it is something the membership would enjoy.

Submit articles at www.crpa.org or attach and Email your article to tflarticle@crpa.org (mailto:tflarticle@crpa.org).

guntrust
06-04-2011, 5:56 AM
Here's an example of a story that TFL ran, a couple of years ago:
http://bit.ly/lkpeQm

SO DON'T BE SHY!!!!

Actually, the story Kevin wrote (and linked to above) is what prompted me to finally get a California-legal M4, now my favorite weapon to take to Front Sight.

Before that purchase, i never enjoyed long guns much because the ones i had were so cumbersome.

Eric Mayer
06-04-2011, 6:57 AM
Can the story be on hunting?

Eric :cool:

oaklander
06-04-2011, 8:16 AM
YES!!!!

Anything related to firearms, the shooting sports, - heck, even civil rights (gun civil rights).

What *I* would like - is to see people start writing about different old C&R rifles, like when they were used, how they are designed, what they are like to shoot, where to buy them - etc. . .

I'd also like to see things on "basics" - like how to use iron sights, how to set windage/elevation, how to clean a firearm.

JUST REMEMBER - safety first - so anything you write needs to always emphasize the safety aspect of things.

Can the story be on hunting?

Eric :cool:

oaklander
06-04-2011, 8:22 AM
Wow David!!!

You totally MADE MY DAY. I'm so shy about my "published" writing that I never really expect people to actually READ my crap.

I know that article comes up on the first page of Google when you google my "real" name. . .

Even though I TOTALLY LOVE MY DAY JOB BOSS, AND WOULD LITERALLY TAKE A BULLET FOR HIM (luckily, getting "shot at" is not something that happens to a lot of lawyers) - I still sometimes entertain myself by trolling headhunters.

The last one asked me what I thought my "ideal position" would be.

My answer was GURU!!!!

ROFL

Then I suggested that she google me. . .

EPIC PWNAGE!!!!!

I'm so silly sometimes!

:)

Actually, the story Kevin wrote (and linked to above) is what prompted me to finally get a California-legal M4, now my favorite weapon to take to Front Sight.

Before that purchase, i never enjoyed long guns much because the ones i had were so cumbersome.

Yes - with respect to long guns vs pistols - I've found that a nice AR clone can be made fairly light and short - just have to stick to the 30 inch OAL - and NOT put too much "stuff" on it. ALSO - once you watch how to actually handle one of those things (and SAFELY practice it yourself), you will find that the ergonomics are pretty well thought out!!!

PsychGuy274
06-04-2011, 8:44 PM
How about a research review/proposal that I wrote?

"The Neural Correlates of the Fight-or-Flight Response with Possible Application to Firearm Training"

I still have some editing to do, but it's nearly complete. Would they take something like that?

PsychGuy274
06-04-2011, 8:47 PM
I also have the transcript from the back-and-forth I had with San Diego Sheriff's Department (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413398) regarding their illegal CCW requirements. I think that's be a good one. Let me know!

oaklander
06-04-2011, 10:32 PM
PG - I think they generally want articles that were written just for them - and generally about 800 words or so. . .

The idea is something that would be interesting and useful to a fairly wide range of people.

Since you are a good writer, it should not be hard to whip something out pretty fast!!!

PsychGuy274
06-05-2011, 12:47 AM
PG - I think they generally want articles that were written just for them - and generally about 800 words or so. . .

The idea is something that would be interesting and useful to a fairly wide range of people.

Since you are a good writer, it should not be hard to whip something out pretty fast!!!

Got it, I'll work on something for late next week. I have something planned that will be interesting :43: