PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the diving ducks at Gray Lodge?

anotherone
12-13-2006, 5:52 PM
Is it just me or are there tons of diving ducks up at Gray Lodge? Where the heck are all the Mallards GRRR!!!

Today was the second day straight that I shot nothing but Bufflehead and Ringneck ducks. If this keeps up I'm going to stop bringing my puddle spread and start bringing a diving duck spread. Maybe it's just the ponds I'm hunting...

Anyhow if anyone here wants to speak up about where the Mallards might be found do jump in :)!

Hunter
12-13-2006, 6:12 PM
Is it just me or are there tons of diving ducks up at Gray Lodge? Where the heck are all the Mallards GRRR!!!

Today was the second day straight that I shot nothing but Bufflehead and Ringneck ducks. If this keeps up I'm going to stop bringing my puddle spread and start bringing a diving duck spread. Maybe it's just the ponds I'm hunting...

Anyhow if anyone here wants to speak up about where the Mallards might be found do jump in :)!

They are sitting/milling around on the closed area of "Little Dry Creek" and the adjacent "BirdHaven" property!

anotherone
12-13-2006, 8:00 PM
They are sitting/milling around on the closed area of "Little Dry Creek" and the adjacent "BirdHaven" property!

Whatever they've got at that duck club keeps the mallards in there. Only rarely does one leave and get dropped. Although I have had some luck hunting out of some of the flooded timber areas with a couple of wood duck decoys and a wood duck call. Seems like most of the action is diving ducks though :mad:!

BTW Little Dry Creek rocks. Even if you can sweat line it, it's a great spot. I sometimes lotto and camp out Collusa. Do you ever lotto/sweat/camp out some of the refuges that are harder to get into?

I often lotto into Yolo Bypass and head deep into the rice fields with a custom low-profile blind I made and a dozen or so of the inflatable decoys. I've never made it further than 3 checks out with plastic decoys.

sargenv
12-14-2006, 8:32 AM
Am curious which parking lots you are hunting Gray lodge. We always had very good luck out on the ponds out of 6 and 7. If you could get yourself a bamboo island, that was where we had the best luck. However it's been 15 years since I hunted there with any regularity, all that area may have been cut/burned/rearranged by now. The area I used to hunt was to the left of the road to 6 and 7 near the "little refuge" aka the small closed zone up by 7.

We used to get lots of Mallard and Sprig out of that area.

Vince

anotherone
12-14-2006, 9:37 PM
Yeah there's a lot of good hunting at some of the potholes and smaller ponds by 7 and 9. A lot of people still head out there too! There's also some pretty cool flooded timber out of lot 13 where the wood ducks hang out. All you need is 4 or 5 wood duck decoys and a wood duck call to get them comming to check it out. When it gets too crowded I hunt pond 71 out of parking lot 12 because nobody else hunts there. It's just a diving duck pond with nothing but Bufflehead, Ringnecks, and sometimes Goldeneye. I think the water must be too deep for the puddle ducks there. The divers usually come as singles or in pairs and will almost always look for a group of coots to land in.

Blacktail 8541
12-16-2006, 8:36 AM
There are still lots of good mallard spots on Gray lodge. Since they revamped the water system it has been a little slower for them as a lot of the tules were removed but they are comeing back. To get to the hot spots you need a good number and fast legs.