PDA

View Full Version : How to ship (USP, USPS, FED Ex, etc) a firearm?

jeep7081
06-02-2011, 3:07 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. When a FFL dealer ships from one FFL to another, it goes Priority mail, or UPS, or?

Can someone break it down for me..Thanks!

jessegpresley
06-02-2011, 3:46 PM
Your FFL will know.

Markinsac
06-02-2011, 3:55 PM
An FFL can use USPS when shipping to another FFL. Anyone else has to use a common carrier (UPS, Fedex, etc) that will accept the shipment. Most of the common carriers will require you to ship overnight (although this is not required by regulations - they just want to get it out of their system as quickly as possible). An FFL gets the least expensive way to ship in most cases when using USPS.

If you're planning to travel, you can ship firearms to yourself in care of your destination as long as they are willing to sign for the package and hold it for you.

Of interest is that an FFL can ship a weapon at a Post Office, but they cannot CCW while doing so - Federal regulations prohibit CCW on the property.

jeep7081
06-02-2011, 4:11 PM
Your FFL will know.

Asked here.

An FFL can use USPS when shipping to another FFL. Anyone else has to use a common carrier (UPS, Fedex, etc) that will accept the shipment. Most of the common carriers will require you to ship overnight (although this is not required by regulations - they just want to get it out of their system as quickly as possible). An FFL gets the least expensive way to ship in most cases when using USPS.

If you're planning to travel, you can ship firearms to yourself in care of your destination as long as they are willing to sign for the package and hold it for you.

Of interest is that an FFL can ship a weapon at a Post Office, but they cannot CCW while doing so - Federal regulations prohibit CCW on the property.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Other private party backed out, but now I know.

akjunkie
06-02-2011, 4:57 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. When a FFL dealer ships from one FFL to another, it goes Priority mail, or UPS, or?

Can someone break it down for me..Thanks!

I sent my CZ SP-01 to CZCustoms in Arizona earlier this year.

Here's a quick breakdown.

I shipped Overnite Priority Fedex
Had to declare it's a firearms
Had to provide a copy of CZCustom's FFL
I optionally bought insurance to cover my firearm

Total was $90 to ship One Way.

jeep7081
06-02-2011, 5:34 PM
I sent my CZ SP-01 to CZCustoms in Arizona earlier this year.

Here's a quick breakdown.

I shipped Overnite Priority Fedex
Had to declare it's a firearms
Had to provide a copy of CZCustom's FFL
I optionally bought insurance to cover my firearm

Total was $90 to ship One Way.

Wow, that explains why he backed out. lol

Verses an FFL dealer can send priority mail "flate rate box" for $15. Interesting.

CK_32
06-02-2011, 6:17 PM
I've been told always go brown after that fed ex but always brown. And never USPS.

SOcal
06-02-2011, 6:19 PM
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Markasaurus
06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT SHIP ANY HANDGUN OR EVEN A LOWER VIA US POSTAL SERVICE! IF THEY FIND OUT THE PACKAGE CONTENTS THEY WILL CONFISCATE THE GUN, PROSECUTE YOU, AND YOU WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET IT BACK! That is the law/regulation now so don't do it!
UPS or Fed ex only, period!

DrScorpio
06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I thought Id throw in my story. I recently shipped my Glock 26 to PhantomFinishing in Concord, CA via Fedex. I declared that I was shipping a firearm and the person behind the counter was not very familiar with the regulations. He asked if I was sending it to someone with a license (but did not ask for any FFL # or documentation) and had me ship it overnight.

Cost was $60 which I thought was pretty expensive. They said the cost was mostly due to the insurance.

Im not sure why, but that particular day their armed security guard happened to be in the room (I normally never see the security guard). I thought there might be an issue with the firearm being there, but his response was more along the lines of "oh cool a glock, mind if I take a look at it?"

akjunkie
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Actual shipping was $80.

Xtra $10 for insurance covering up to $1000 for a Firearm.

Cant say, U are shipping a $1000 electron microscope or some other "scientific/precision" instrument. Cuz once they lose the package. and U file the Insurance/Claim form, U gotta state U want $1000 back for a lost/stolen Gun.

One FFL to another FFL, US Postal is OK. Everyone else is Fedex/UPS.

Maybe someone else can chime in, my brain's alittle foggy right now... but I believe LONG ARMS can be sent via US Postal. but not handguns.

Cyc Wid It
06-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Don't be a moron and call them "machine parts".

mikaarce
06-03-2011, 7:34 AM
Just sent my .45 for refinishing out of state, used "UPS Customer care Center" (not UPS store), declare its a handgun, showed FFL copy of recieving party, paid 86 total with insurane, "next day air saver".

JRJCP
06-03-2011, 7:45 AM
Here the information for shipping firearms. ATF, FedEx and UPS

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
http://www.cgwgun.com/Shipping/FedEx.aspx
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

CS Sports
06-03-2011, 8:24 AM
I ship dozens, if not more, every week and use USPS Priority almost exclusively.

A few things I have learned:
Know the value threshold for "special handling". For USPS anything insured over $250 gets special handling, it will not be left without a signature and it can be easily tracked. UPS and FedEx, anything over $1000 gets special handling, each person who handles it can be held accountable should it come up missing. If it is really valuable or irreplaceable, USPS Registered Mail cannot be beat.

Pack carefully. I can't tell you how many barreled actions I have received with the muzzle sticking through the end of the box. I've seen hundreds of boxes with flaps open because insufficient, or poor quality tape was used. Lots of people complain about the carriers, but in my experience most problems can be avoided with just a little care in packaging.

Place more than one address label on the package. A friend who works for UPS told me that there is a scam where a UPS employee will have some pre-printed labels addressed to himself in his pocket. If he sees something he wants, he just slaps his label over the original and the package is delivered to the address of his choosing. Multiple address labels prevent this.

Even if you are shipping a small pistol, use a box large enough that it can't be easily concealed.

I ship probably 90% through USPS, and USPS represents less than 1% of my problems. UPS has been OK, but FedEx ground has been a complete nightmare.

Individuals absolutely can ship long arms through USPS. Tell them you have a an "unloaded sporting arm", and you will be fine. Sometimes they ask you to mark it as a firearm on the box, but this is a violation of Postal Code, so refuse and ask them to look it up. DO NOT try to ship ammo through USPS. it will end badly for you.

jeep7081
06-03-2011, 8:37 AM
I ship dozens, if not more, every week and use USPS Priority almost exclusively.

A few things I have learned:
Know the value threshold for "special handling". For USPS anything insured over $250 gets special handling, it will not be left without a signature and it can be easily tracked. UPS and FedEx, anything over $1000 gets special handling, each person who handles it can be held accountable should it come up missing. If it is really valuable or irreplaceable, USPS Registered Mail cannot be beat.

Pack carefully. I can't tell you how many barreled actions I have received with the muzzle sticking through the end of the box. I've seen hundreds of boxes with flaps open because insufficient, or poor quality tape was used. Lots of people complain about the carriers, but in my experience most problems can be avoided with just a little care in packaging.

Place more than one address label on the package. A friend who works for UPS told me that there is a scam where a UPS employee will have some pre-printed labels addressed to himself in his pocket. If he sees something he wants, he just slaps his label over the original and the package is delivered to the address of his choosing. Multiple address labels prevent this.

Even if you are shipping a small pistol, use a box large enough that it can't be easily concealed.

I ship probably 90% through USPS, and USPS represents less than 1% of my problems. UPS has been OK, but FedEx ground has been a complete nightmare.

Individuals absolutely can ship long arms through USPS. Tell them you have a an "unloaded sporting arm", and you will be fine. Sometimes they ask you to mark it as a firearm on the box, but this is a violation of Postal Code, so refuse and ask them to look it up. DO NOT try to ship ammo through USPS. it will end badly for you.

Great info! Thanks

gsparesa
04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
This should be made a sticky, especially the info from JRJCP.

JOE MACK
05-21-2012, 6:24 PM
I tried to ship an unloaded rifle/shotgun through the local post office. The place wouldn't do it. Could anyone give me the reg #s concerning shipment of firearms through the post office? Handguns I always used a dealer but they've gone the way of the dodo. Thanks

Me1
05-21-2012, 8:57 PM
I tried to ship an unloaded rifle/shotgun through the local post office. The place wouldn't do it. Could anyone give me the reg #s concerning shipment of firearms through the post office? Handguns I always used a dealer but they've gone the way of the dodo. Thanks

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm